ADVERTISEMENT

Three plays in OT that I'd like to have back.

EnginEER 89

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
While there were a multitude of screw-ups in the first 4 quarters, the fact that we got to OT and won the toss at home really set us up well. So focusing on the OT, here's what I think cost us.

1. On the first play, we had good pressure on the OKST RB but let him slip outside, and there was almost no pursuit from the secondary. Maybe having KJ would have helped. Anyhow, instead of a 2-3 yard loss, it was a 7 yard gain that set up OKST to continue running the ball successfully (uncharacteristically based on the rest of the game).

2. On 3rd down near the goal line, the OKST QB managed to get an extra yard or two by falling forward. If we could have pushed him back on that play, it would have been 4th and 2 or 3, and I think Gundy would have gone for 3 instead of the TD. (Sure, I could pick the 4th and 1 play also -- some have said there was a hold there, but honestly I did not see it.)

3. Many to choose from on the offensive side, but I will just say that on the last play, if that pass were about 6 inches lower, I really think Shorts would have come up with the big catch. In my opinion, he has the best hands on the team. And then we'd be sitting around here saying how Howard really got his act together in the second half.

What can you do -- not the first and won't be the last time we've had disappointing losses. Right now, I just want to see the team improve over the rest of the season and WIN a bowl game.

LGM!

People like you that truly understand football know its a game of inches.

Any of this scenarios could have changed the outcome.

Just like the fluke Smallwood/ Howard fumble for a TD. If that onle play doesn't happen WVU wins in regulation.

It hurts to say but take away turnovers and WVU is 5-0 at this point and top 10

4-1 at worse and top 15

Reactions: EnginEER 89
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT