ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on WV/Miami.

SchmidtyNole

Freshman
Feb 19, 2007
I'll be honest: I haven't seen West Virginia play much this year but I know plenty about Miami. Miami is a good team. Yes, they are 8-4 but they beat Pitt and Georgia Tech were their key wins on the season. They have a lot of team speed on defense and very fast Wide Receivers. Their weakness is their Offensive Line allows pressure on Brad Kaaya quite a bit and he isn't very mobile. But they have talent. I actually think this will be one of the better Non-New Year's Six bowl matchups.

I'll be honest: I haven't seen West Virginia play much this year but I know plenty about Miami. Miami is a good team. Yes, they are 8-4 but they beat Pitt and Georgia Tech were their key wins on the season. They have a lot of team speed on defense and very fast Wide Receivers. Their weakness is their Offensive Line allows pressure on Brad Kaaya quite a bit and he isn't very mobile. But they have talent. I actually think this will be one of the better Non-New Year's Six bowl matchups.

How did they/your team do against Clemson and Louisville? ...the best of the ACC. How about the second tier of the ACC... ..FSU and VT ?

How did they/your team do against Clemson and Louisville? ...the best of the ACC. How about the second tier of the ACC... ..FSU and VT ?
They didn't play Clemson or Louisville. The lost to us (FSU) 20-19. Virginia Tech beat them pretty bad. Their losses were to FSU, Virginia Tech, North Carolina and Notre Dame. Nobody really blew them out. And they also won their last four games so they got better as the season wore on.

They didn't play Clemson or Louisville. The lost to us (FSU) 20-19. Virginia Tech beat them pretty bad. Their losses were to FSU, Virginia Tech, North Carolina and Notre Dame. Nobody really blew them out. And they also won their last four games so they got better as the season wore on.

Well...they beat Pitt. I guess there's that....

Miami was a last second blocked extra point away from overtime with FSU. Lost by 7 to UNC on a blown TD call by the refs (look it up, pretty amazing how they got that wrong). Lost by 3 to ND (that's a bad loss), and VT wore us down in the second half due to some key injuries on defense.

Generally, the offense struggled to find its groove in the middle part of the season, but could easily be a 10-2 or 11-1 team right now.

We were also playing as well as anyone in the ACC over the last 4 games.

Reactions: Uswagpak
Depends on which Skyler shows up. I think all four of our running backs, any of which could start at Thug U, will be healthy. I think we pressure and frustrate Thug U's young qb.

Miami is a good team with a bad OLine and decent special teams.

I still don't see Richt as the coach of the Canes. He seems too laid back for there.

I think WV has the defensive advantage. I just do, and I think that will win the game. Now that is prefaced with decent WVU offense.

Also something that will help WVU is over a week week off. Right now we are held together with duct tape & bailing wire. The byes were way too early.

If good WVU offense shows up and we just go with our best at RB, I think WVU wins.

If bad WVU offense shows up and we get careless with the ball, Miami Dade and/or Glade Central High will be able to beat WVU.

Should be a good game.

I still don't see Richt as the coach of the Canes. He seems too laid back for there.

I think WV has the defensive advantage. I just do, and I think that will win the game. Now that is prefaced with decent WVU offense.

Also something that will help WVU is over a week week off. Right now we are held together with duct tape & bailing wire. The byes were way too early.

If good WVU offense shows up and we just go with our best at RB, I think WVU wins.

If bad WVU offense shows up and we get careless with the ball, Miami Dade and/or Glade Central High will be able to beat WVU.

Should be a good game.

LOL at WVU having the advantage defensively. You have no pass rush and a terrible run defense.

we need to establish the run and hope our qb is NOT the one that showed up against Baylor. defense needs a couple of turnovers and we need to capitalize off of them. if we don't show up to play for some reason miami, as much as i can't stand them, will embarrass us.

Should be a good game.
Can't argue with this at all....agree on the bye weeks big time....this break will definitely help the situation I would think...

Yeah, that 8-4 Pitt team that beat Clemson at Clemson the very next weekend. That's a better win than WVU has on its resume.
I love it when jackwagons of your ilk compare completely different and unrelated games. So inept...are you the best your 'fanbase' has to offer skrimpy ? Sign up for the ladies football 101 in spring...

Reactions: e_cushing
He's got better stats than your QB.

He's also Miami's all time leading passer and the only QB in CFB to have thrown for over 3k yards in the last 3 seasons.

I'm not sure where you get your stats but Howard has thrown for 3,145 yards this year. Howard has 26 passing TDs and your guy has 23.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you get your stats but Howard has thrown for 3,145 yards in the last two years and three games. Howard has 26 passing TDs and your guy has 23.

Here is where they rank this season...
#.....Name.........Pos..School..Comp..Att..%.....Yds.../Att..Lng..TDs..Ints..Sacks..QBR
22..Brad Kaaya..QB..MIAMI....237...387..61.2..3250..8.4..77.....23.....7.......24.....147.8
23..Skyler Howard..QB..WVU..230...378..60.8..3194..8.5..71.....26....10......21.....149.2

He's got better stats than your QB.

He's also Miami's all time leading passer and the only QB in CFB to have thrown for over 3k yards in the last 3 seasons.
You'll give you this, Howard doesn't show up for bowl games....

Miami's defense is better than WVU's by just about every statistical measure, and it's not really even close.

This will be a good game and I will not argue that you have the better QB. However, Miami wasn't fielding defense against Big 12 o's week in, week out. Stats are apples and oranges. Weve got a damn fine defense and I think you will be surprised by our pass rush when it needs to be dialed up and I also am confident in our run d. This game will be won or lost by the play of Skyler Howard. Miami is merely a spectator.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
This will be a good game and I will not argue that you have the better QB. However, Miami wasn't fielding defense against Big 12 o's week in, week out. Stats are apples and oranges. Weve got a damn fine defense and I think you will be surprised by our pass rush when it needs to be dialed up and I also am confident in our run d. This game will be won or lost by the play of Skyler Howard. Miami is merely a spectator.
Basically, I think if we avoid turnovers we win.

Reactions: countryroads89

Well done. If Howard starts hot, then we kill Miami (20+ points). If he plays the way he has the past month or so....Miami beats us by 7-10.

Can't wait until next year. Watching this offense with Howard running it the past month was like watching a 16yo taking his driving test in a brand new Lamborghini with a stick shift. You know what the damn thing can do with someone capable behind the wheel, but can do nothing but watch that kid abuse the damn thing.

LOL...wow!

Well done. If Howard starts hot, then we kill Miami (20+ points). If he plays the way he has the past month or so....Miami beats us by 7-10.

Can't wait until next year. Watching this offense with Howard running it the past month was like watching a 16yo taking his driving test in a brand new Lamborghini with a stick shift. You know what the damn thing can do with someone capable behind the wheel, but can do nothing but watch that kid abuse the damn thing.

LOL...you'll be facing one of the nation's best defenses, period. And, I don't want to hear some crap about ACC offenses vs Big12 offenses. Miami faced FSU, Pitt, UNC and VT, which are all higher ranked offenses than WVU.

LOL...you'll be facing one of the nation's best defenses, period. And, I don't want to hear some crap about ACC offenses vs Big12 offenses. Miami faced FSU, Pitt, UNC and VT, which are all higher ranked offenses than WVU.

Except we won't be playing FSU, Pitt, UNC or VT; we're playing Miami so let's look at the numbers:

Total Offense Rankings

Total Yards: WVU-16 Miami-57
Downs: WVU-14 Miami-86
Passing: WVU-35 Miami-32
Rushing: WVU-19 Miami-86
Receiving: WVU-35 Miami-32
Returning: WVU-92 Miami-125

To add some metrics to this, WVU faced 4 teams with higher ranked offenses than Miami (OU, TTU, OSU, and Baylor). Those teams averaged 40.5ppg and WVU held them to 32.75ppg. The four teams Miami faced with higher ranked offenses than WVU averaged 36.4ppg and Miami held them to 26.3ppg.

Except we won't be playing FSU, Pitt, UNC or VT; we're playing Miami so let's look at the numbers:

Total Offense Rankings

Total Yards: WVU-16 Miami-57
Downs: WVU-14 Miami-86
Passing: WVU-35 Miami-32
Rushing: WVU-19 Miami-86
Receiving: WVU-35 Miami-32
Returning: WVU-92 Miami-125

First, comparing two team's offenses is meaningless, but I see you also forgot scoring offense. You know, the metric that matters the most.

ADVERTISEMENT