ADVERTISEMENT

Things about to get spicy!! It looks like a couple banks are failing today

You are right, it still needs to be turned into cash, which is cool because its very easy to do. I dont use gold or silver as an investment, or even a short term storage. It is a great hedge against inflation as long as people go into it with a long term mindset. I would not recommend buying gold and silver with money you'll need back soon. But it is great for long term savings. A store of value. Much safer than saving cash in a bank.

Silver is what I've been saving more of the last few years. With its industrial use in solar panels and EV's, I expect to see it climb over the next decade. Also, silver is cheap enough that anyone can buy some. Not too mention, some of the options are beautiful and collectable. Silver coins and rounds can be a lot like trading baseball cards for some folks. They are good at it. I'm not however lol. So I just save it. I got my start on silver coins when I was 14. My great grandma left me 20 morgan silver dollars. I grew that stack to almost 80 morgans now, along with a lot of other old coins. Lately Ive been trading for silver bullion bars and rounds. If I sold everything I have now, I would make a significant profit. But I'll wait.
What are you going to sell it for? USD?

If you read, I would suggest this book. I think you would enjoy it.

I mean he is as responsible as any president but this is the fault of the entire system. This is what happens when you centrally plan your banking and financial systems. There will be failure, you will print to cover up the failure, rinse, repeat, until eventual total collapse. It has literally happened to every fiat money ever.
Trump isn't responsible at all. It is ridiculous to suggest he or any previous president is. Massive inflation and no legitimate response to it led to SVB failing.

Reactions: roadtrasheer
Trump isn't responsible at all. It is ridiculous to suggest he or any previous president is. Massive inflation and no legitimate response to it led to SVB failing.
this doesn't ****ing occur over night
Interest rates where held to all time lows for decades!!! That is the cause of inflation!
I said Trump had very little to do with it. The Federal Reserve is the problem! They print ****ing money to fund endless wars and to pay other countries to play nice and the dollar is worthless because of it.
This was really kicked off back in 08 and we are just now seeing the down stream affects from that.

Interest rates and inflation tend to move in the same direction but with lags, because policymakers require data to estimate future inflation trends, and the interest rates they set take time to fully affect the economy. Higher rates may be needed to bring rising inflation under control, while slowing economic growth often lowers the inflation rate and may prompt rate cuts.

The Fed targets a range of the federal funds rate, in part, by setting the rate it pays on banking reserve balances.

- Jean Folger & Michael J. Boyle

Interest rates and inflation tend to move in the same direction but with lags, because policymakers require data to estimate future inflation trends, and the interest rates they set take time to fully affect the economy. Higher rates may be needed to bring rising inflation under control, while slowing economic growth often lowers the inflation rate and may prompt rate cuts.

The Fed targets a range of the federal funds rate, in part, by setting the rate it pays on banking reserve balances.

- Jean Folger & Michael J. Boyle
This type of economic thinking is what got us in this mess
You cant "fix" the economy by raising and lowering interest rates when you cant begin to understand the complexities of an economy. Turning knobs and flipping switches on complex systems that is is impossible to understand will lead to them breaking. Period.

This type of economic thinking is what got us in this mess
You cant "fix" the economy by raising and lowering interest rates when you cant begin to understand the complexities of an economy. Turning knobs and flipping switches on complex systems that is is impossible to understand will lead to them breaking. Period.

Whatever you say Crypto man.

this doesn't ****ing occur over night
Interest rates where held to all time lows for decades!!! That is the cause of inflation!
I said Trump had very little to do with it. The Federal Reserve is the problem! They print ****ing money to fund endless wars and to pay other countries to play nice and the dollar is worthless because of it.
This was really kicked off back in 08 and we are just now seeing the down stream affects from that.
Look. I realize you are financially stupid but low interest rates don't cause inflation. Not raising interest rates after the pandemic knowing inflation was inevitable was criminal.

Low interest rates along with a buzzing economy are great. You start pouring trillions in fake dollars into an economy without raising rates you are asking for trouble.

Look. I realize you are financially stupid but low interest rates don't cause inflation. Not raising interest rates after the pandemic knowing inflation was inevitable was criminal.

Low interest rates along with a buzzing economy are great. You start pouring trillions in fake dollars into an economy without raising rates you are asking for trouble.
Interest rates being at 0 does pour trillions of fake dollars into the system, that is the entire point 🤦‍♂️
This is what the federal reserve does this is how they add money to our system

Interest rates being at 0 does pour trillions of fake dollars into the system, that is the entire point 🤦‍♂️
This is what the federal reserve does this is how they add money to our system

I am sorry that you don't understand economics.

Interest rates have been used as a tool to speed up and slow down the economy as long as I have been alive. The growth from 2008 till 2020 didn't require higher interest rates.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
You sell it for more USD than you paid for it.
the problem is that you could (as in it is possible) sell for more USD but still end up with less spending power
for example those coins you were talking about earlier, the silver that you could sell for $20(silver value) only has the purchasing power of ~$2 from 1955 when you originally referenced
Yes you have done better than holding the dollar but not nearly as good as the 20x looks on paper

I stopped putting my money in banks years ago. Only what is needed to pay bills and such goes in there. The rest of my green paper money gets traded for real money, gold and silver, and put away for safe keeping whilst I watch my wealth grow....

Money can make you rich, but only gold and silver will make you truly wealthy.
Sorry to hear your investments have done so poorly. Better luck in the future.

• Haha
Reactions: deedoubleyou
Sorry to hear your investments have done so poorly. Better luck in the future.
Depending on how the future goes.... great depression didn't go so well for many people who invested. Myself I have invested in stocks and dabble in gold and silver + a few other little things. Hopefully this all works out for our good.

the problem is that you could (as in it is possible) sell for more USD but still end up with less spending power
for example those coins you were talking about earlier, the silver that you could sell for $20(silver value) only has the purchasing power of ~$2 from 1955 when you originally referenced
Yes you have done better than holding the dollar but not nearly as good as the 20x looks on paper
The USD will always have less spending power as time goes on, unless they find a way to curb inflation. But that is why rich folks dont save money, they save metals. As inflation rises, so does metals, especially gold.

In 2014 silver spiked to $50 an ounce and I cashed in a pretty good amount, and then started buying again once it came back down. I had accumulated over 500oz of silver by then and most of it was bought for less than $15 per ounce. I cashed in all my bullion, but held onto all the old US minted coins. Glad I did because the old silver coins have a higher premium than ever right now. Even though I have cashed in once, I dont consider silver and gold and investment for myself. It's just a store of value. I really only use it to save what I want to save in the long term. I save regular printed money for short term and emergency use.

Reactions: cam_blev
I dont agree with everything he says about investing, but its hard to argue with a lot of what he's saying

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT