ADVERTISEMENT

They played not to lose in the 2nd half

Papillion

All-American
May 29, 2001
some of you guys can live in denial all you want but I saw very little adjustments to what KU adjusted to in the second half. I saw stubbornness in trying to do things that wasn't there. KU dug in and played like we did in the first half and WVU never matched that in the second.

It's amusing to hear people ask people like me what's wrong with me when they say I liked what they did against Texas so why complain when they did it against KU. Yeah, I liked it against UT because IT WORKED. I didn't like that second half bullshit because it didn't. Teams are just not allowing us to drive like we did in the beginning of the year. Sometimes it works but in the second half last night it didn't.

What built that lead in the first half I saw none of that in the second. Even the announcer was criticizing WVU's offense for standing around too much and way too much one on one dribbling and trying to drive into a collapsing defense that was daring us to beat them from outside, which we had been doing in the first half, along with offensive muscle.

Huggins is stubborn, though I like the change up defenses he's shown in the last two games but where was it when KU was driving relentlessly on us in the second half? I don't know, I'm just asking. Weren't we in a man to man while getting killed by those drives? It wasn't working and I saw no defensive adjustments for that.

I love Huggins but I don't see a CONSISTENT good tactician. He has his moments but he's made his money on toughness and knowing what he's doing and being a good coach at getting the most out of his players by not succumbing to their wants, only to their needs and what makes his offense work. He's a winner because he makes his system work based on toughness but as far as a real tactician, I think his offense needs a fresh helping hand. Sorry if that disappoints the devoted ones.

The offense was brilliant in the first half but the players made it brilliant by executing what he wanted. When KU began collapsing the defense in the second we didn't adjust. Huggins idea was to drive and stall and I feel one of the factors that cost us the game. I said ONE of the factors but we all know what the others were. So that's my opinion. Bash away.

you dont get it.

2 guards were out last night. they were forced to play a long stretch in the 2nd half with phillip and paige in the back court. those guys were lost. look at it this way... there was a trickle down effect from from those guys being out. plenty guys got way more minutes than they would have otherwise.

add to that, devin was ailing and had to come out a bunch in the 2nd half.

Yeah, that's some good points. I'm just pissed. That one stung like a football game would. They kept reminding us how KU hadn't lost a final home game in over 30 years and I kept getting excited at the thought of us doing it and sweeping them and I really thought we had it when we went up 57-49. But I still stick with my assertion that Huggs needs some yang to his ying for offense.

Like I have said.....I'm a Huggs fan and hope he is coach for another decade but the 2nd half against Kansas was pathetic. Was one of coaches worst jobs of coaching imo......If you have it on TIVO....go back and watch the last 3 to 5 minutes.....we had numerous easy paths to the rim after breaking press and didn't attack. Say what you want but just as in football and the prevent defense usually only prevents us from winning.....Huggs prevent offense kept us from winning.

Some had been shooting 3 ball pretty well. In 3-5 minute frame, should they have been going down and popping three's before KU set up? If they hit, they build a big lead. Smoking the league leader would have looked awfully good on placement Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT