ADVERTISEMENT

These are the happy days for Bob Huggins at West Virginia. Really!

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
As soon as he saw the national college basketball polls on Monday, Bob Huggins knew he had a problem. West Virginia, the team he played for in college and has coached for the past 11 seasons, had moved up to No. 2 in both the Associated Press and coaches’ rankings. Only Villanova was ranked ahead of the Mountaineers.

“This group has had as good an attitude day in and day out as anyone I’ve coached,” he said Thursday afternoon. “But they’re still kids. And being ranked that high got their attention. They noticed — had to. I knew I was going to have my hands full before the Baylor game.”

Sure enough, West Virginia had a brutal shooting night on Tuesday against the Bears, making just 31 percent from the field. Leading scorer Jevon Carter, who was averaging more than 16 points per game, was 2 of 7 and finished with eight points. Baylor outrebounded the Mountaineers 44-36, the kind of number that might set off Huggins’s defibrillator, which he has had since a heart attack more than 15 years ago.

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ter&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_term=.adf8955dc433

Reactions: wvpaper
ADVERTISEMENT