ADVERTISEMENT

THE Official Welcome Home Austin Kendall Thread

steeleer

All-Conference
Sep 19, 2005
Congrats kid. If this were five years ago Oklahoma would never have let you leave to come here. That asshat Riley only gave in under the pressure of Twitter. Take that anger and use it.

We’re going to spread out some ass kicking this year. Be ready for NORMAN.

Just look at them....
They make people from Arkansas look smart and good looking
3ed2abc440440f3f69787e38bc16dbf0.jpg
yO7bR.jpg

This is right thing to do for Austin. OU is bringing in a QB to start and he'd be riding the bench. It's
right to let him go to a place where he gets a real chance to play. Poetic justice would be for us
to go to Norman and come out with a "W." Or at least a good showing. As much as he's getting
down quickly Brown might be triplets.

In...great get. REALLY pumped now for this new era of WVU football. I haven't seen Mr Kendall play yet...but 6'2" and 219# is a good start.

And a BIG F-U to the Okie dokes….

Congrats kid. If this were five years ago Oklahoma would never have let you leave to come here. That asshat Riley only gave in under the pressure of Twitter. Take that anger and use it.

We’re going to spread out some ass kicking this year. Be ready for NORMAN.

Great thread dude

Anyway WVU gets this kid and Oklahoma gets Hurts. Sucks being so far behind them.

OU didn't think Kendall had the it factor that Hurts could have.
But...
Right now Kendall is a better QB.

But Kendall has some issues from what I heard going through his progressions and reading coverage. Same as Hurts but not as bad

Hurts can run if needed.

This is the difference plus Hurts made great strides this year under Enos at Bama.

Kendall is probably 100% times more developed than Allison or Lowe.

Hurts is not Kyler Myrray. Hurts ain’t putting 50 points on board. Kyler was the best QB in country. Hurts is not as good as him but will be good. Oklahoma will be in hunt. WVU will challenge them.

Kyler was horrible as a freshman at A&M.
Hurts was never what Kyler was in HS. Kyler Murray had a great HS career. What you saw last year was Murray in HS. Hurts was decent but he was never dropping his balls onto people's faces.

OU liked how Hurts devloped this year and the people around the program see something that not everyone sees.
A lot of people around Texas are happy because Kendall had the what if but truthfully OU had zero confidence in him and they are worried about Texas.

OU didn't think Kendall had the it factor that Hurts could have.
But...
Right now Kendall is a better QB.

But Kendall has some issues from what I heard going through his progressions and reading coverage. Same as Hurts but not as bad

Hurts can run if needed.

This is the difference plus Hurts made great strides this year under Enos at Bama.

Kendall is probably 100% times more developed than Allison or Lowe.

WVU was in a jam and needed a QB in the worst way. If Dana would have stayed, that position would have likely been filled by a kid who would just be a jersey filler and practice arm. That would have left us trying to run through the B12 with a statue in Allison or a total unknown in Lowe. Not good...

If nothing else, Kendall brings competition to the QB room. If Allison or Lowe beats him out, then we know we've got a real QB on the field. But, I don't think Kendall is coming here or being brought here to ride the pine. The expectations are he's the starter on Day 1.

Suddenly the opener looks a whole lot rosier now. Here's hoping Brown and Company can keep this excitement and momentum going into the 2020 class.

He is your best QB right now.

From spring practices and fall practices I have heard the Austin Kendall for the most part goes through his progressions and makes the right decision.
Usually can read coverages.
The game is not too fast for him.
Shows athletic ability and can use it to create. Meaning he will scramble not to run but to buy time.

Needs to develop a little more to be an impact player with his arm.

The Football Brainiacs has a lot of info on Austin Kendall.
It is a Big XII site. Mainly Texas and Oklahoma.

WVU was in a jam and needed a QB in the worst way. If Dana would have stayed, that position would have likely been filled by a kid who would just be a jersey filler and practice arm. That would have left us trying to run through the B12 with a statue in Allison or a total unknown in Lowe. Not good...

If nothing else, Kendall brings competition to the QB room. If Allison or Lowe beats him out, then we know we've got a real QB on the field. But, I don't think Kendall is coming here or being brought here to ride the pine. The expectations are he's the starter on Day 1.

Suddenly the opener looks a whole lot rosier now. Here's hoping Brown and Company can keep this excitement and momentum going into the 2020 class.
The cynic in me makes me believe Holgerson knew he was leaving with Grier and was complacent in the development of future QBs.

The cynic in me makes me believe Holgerson knew he was leaving with Grier and was complacent in the development of future QBs.

I get the cynicism but not so sure I agree totally. At least on the timing but the writing was on the wall for Holgerson unless he caught lightning in a bottle somehow regardless. Also, Holgerson NEVER had a backup ready for the spotlight his whole time here. After the starter, it was all downhill after that. So, development of QB's was always a problem here under him.

Reactions: Euell
Hurts is not Kyler Myrray. Hurts ain’t putting 50 points on board. Kyler was the best QB in country. Hurts is not as good as him but will be good. Oklahoma will be in hunt. WVU will challenge them.

Yeah, that's why Hurts was 26-2 at Alabama. He just wasn't any good.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
Hurts has some issues but like I said OU thinks that he improved a lot last year and that LR can finish him.

Hurts as a starter did not always make the best decisions
Meaning he would have single coverage but throw the ball to another WR or call a QB run.
He needs to get better at checks and taking what the D gives him.
He left a lot of yards and points on the field.

OU thinks they can fix that.

As of right now Kendall is a lot better at recognizing coverages and making the right decision with the ball.

Hurts will be learning a whole new system . We get them in October. Don’t count your chickens.

You missed the point. I hope Hurts sucks. Point was Oklahoma gets guys like him. When Grier came here he was a difference maker. Not th this backup.

I wasn't exactly sure what we got in this kid when the news first broke. I knew he was a likely upgrade over what we had, but I wasn't sure how much of an upgrade he actually was.

After watching basically everything he's done at OU, I feel like he will comfortably win any QB competition.

I would say he's sneakily athletic, but it's honestly not very sneaky if you actually watch him. He's a pretty fluid mover, and he's honestly pretty fast. I don't think it'd be a stretch to say he's got similar top end speed to Skyler. But he's taller and heavier, so he's a little more stiff (Skyler was also a stiff runner, why he was so easily tripped up so often).

He's got a decent arm and decent accuracy, but even some balls that are caught are slightly off target. And it's pretty easy to see the root of his problems. He doesn't throw with an even base.

Throws off his back foot are regular, and all arm throws are just as regular. Grier also had this problem, but his somewhat wonky release and stronger arm allowed him to make the throws. Kendall's arm isn't as strong as Will's, so it results in his throws sailing.

Skyler Howard taught me a lot about about college football. Things that I already kind of knew became glaringly obvious. He taught me that even an average to below average thrower can have success in an Air Raid type offense if they combine IQ with running ability. It's the cheat code of college football. If your QB is mobile and even a passable thrower, your offense will have success when paired with a good run game.

I don't think we got a guy that's gonna put up Will or Geno passing numbers (I also don't think we have a coach that would strive for that), but I do think we got a completely capable starting QB in the Big 12.

I think Kendall is athletic enough to move the chains with his legs. And I think his ceiling as a thrower is higher than Skyler's was. I've come away excited at what we have now at the QB position. I think we have a 2 year starter who should be good enough to lead this team to wins. It's up to the coaches to see if we can get over the hump.

When you drop back...

You have a bunch of WRs. Not all targets are equal.
So you have to go by who he gets the ball to.

The AirRaid forces one on one coverage by throwing a bunch of athletes in space.

So when you watch Kendall you have to see who he is getting the ball to.

A great throw to the wrong WR is not as good as a bad throw to the right WR

Johnny Manziel wasn't the best arm QB but he made the right decisions.
This is what Spavital and KK excel in and now Lincoln Riley.

Hopefully what WV has in Neal Brown does as well.

Austin Kendall was brought up in that system.
Watched hours of films identifying the best option.
This is what Riley does at OU.

Like I said they thought they would have better options with Hurts.
They saw Hurts beginning to understand this concept this year under Dan Enos at Alabama.

It is called finding the honey hole.
Why 7 on 7 camps are so important in HS

Last edited:
We wish Kendall lots of luck. I read some things on this thread that I wonder where the information came from. Austin is a good kid. None of us really know what kind of QB he will be. He has very little game day experience. He isn't a proven commodity. Austin was recruited over at OU. Had Austin stayed at OU it is unlikely he would have won the starting job. My guess is that Austin transferred as he knew he would never beat Mordecai or Rattler for the starting spot. Don't think any OU fans were surprised that he transferred.

There was lots of rumors that Austin was considering a transfer at the end of last years Spring practice. This is just a guess, but think that Riley talked him out of transferring.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it all works out for him. On the odds of WVU beating OU next year in Norman is likely about 1:20 or less. Anyway, I have always had a soft spot for the Mountaineers. I have a good friend that is a true native and believer in West Virginia. When you guys first came to the Big XII he conned me into betting on the games. Just little $5.00 bets. After the third loss he hasn't hit me up on wagering.

I think you guys are good for the conference. I loved your win against Texas this year.

Reactions: Phil
When you drop back...

You have a bunch of WRs. Not all targets are equal.
So you have to go by who he gets the ball to.

The AirRaid forces one on one coverage by throwing a bunch of athletes in space.

So when you watch Kendall you have to see who he is getting the ball to.

A great throw to the wrong WR is not as good as a bad throw to the right WR

Johnny Manziel wasn't the best arm QB but he made the right decisions.
This is what Spavital and KK excel in and now Lincoln Riley.

Hopefully what WV has in Neal Brown does as well.

For being named after the greatest wordsmith of the last 50 years, you sure aren't the most coherent writer I've come across.

But if you're saying the air raid is designed to make it easier on mediocre QB's, you're right.

Last edited:
Marshall thought they had an "all everything" qb transfer last summer. Didn't work out so well. Time will tell with AK. Good luck.

Best of luck to Kendall at WVU. I am glad to hear that OU lifted the restriction on Kendall going to the Mountaineers. Although we've only seen him in limited action, he appears to have all the tools to make an immediate impact on the WVU program.

Looking forward to the game next season and until then, good luck to the Mountaineers.

I wasn't exactly sure what we got in this kid when the news first broke. I knew he was a likely upgrade over what we had, but I wasn't sure how much of an upgrade he actually was.

After watching basically everything he's done at OU, I feel like he will comfortably win any QB competition.

I would say he's sneakily athletic, but it's honestly not very sneaky if you actually watch him. He's a pretty fluid mover, and he's honestly pretty fast. I don't think it'd be a stretch to say he's got similar top end speed to Skyler. But he's taller and heavier, so he's a little more stiff (Skyler was also a stiff runner, why he was so easily tripped up so often).

He's got a decent arm and decent accuracy, but even some balls that are caught are slightly off target. And it's pretty easy to see the root of his problems. He doesn't throw with an even base.

Throws off his back foot are regular, and all arm throws are just as regular. Grier also had this problem, but his somewhat wonky release and stronger arm allowed him to make the throws. Kendall's arm isn't as strong as Will's, so it results in his throws sailing.

Skyler Howard taught me a lot about about college football. Things that I already kind of knew became glaringly obvious. He taught me that even an average to below average thrower can have success in an Air Raid type offense if they combine IQ with running ability. It's the cheat code of college football. If your QB is mobile and even a passable thrower, your offense will have success when paired with a good run game.

I don't think we got a guy that's gonna put up Will or Geno passing numbers (I also don't think we have a coach that would strive for that), but I do think we got a completely capable starting QB in the Big 12.

I think Kendall is athletic enough to move the chains with his legs. And I think his ceiling as a thrower is higher than Skyler's was. I've come away excited at what we have now at the QB position. I think we have a 2 year starter who should be good enough to lead this team to wins. It's up to the coaches to see if we can get over the hump.

Get outta here with that accurate and sensible analysis...has no place here among us experts...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT