ADVERTISEMENT

The New Transfer Rule ?

leftackle70

Sophomore
Oct 4, 2017
If this proposed new rule by the NCAA that eliminates the athlete needing to sit out a year at the new school goes into effect, what would the results be for WVU?

Good or Bad ?

So if Jon Elmore at Marshall suddenly decided he wanted to play his senior year at WVU with Beetle, Knapper and McCabe in the backcourt... that would not been a good thing for WVU?

So if Jon Elmore at Marshall suddenly decided he wanted to play his senior year at WVU with Beetle, Knapper and McCabe in the backcourt... that would not been a good thing for WVU?
And when Kentucky wants one of WVU's best players? What about when Bama wants a football player from a school like WVU? Regardless of all of that it's a terrible rule for the game and for "student" athletes.

Reactions: eerdoc and WVU80ate
Yes Sir!
It could work both ways.

But I don't follow necessarily, how it would be bad for the student athlete?

If a player from Western Carolina who was good enough by his Jr. year to attract the attention of Duke decided he wanted to study law, transfers... knowing by being an undergrad at Duke... he stands an excellent chance of admittance there. Wouldn't that be a GOOD thing for that athlete?

Yes Sir!
It could work both ways.

If a player from Western Carolina who was good enough by his Jr. year to attract the attention of Duke decided he wanted to study law, transfers... knowing by being an undergrad at Duke... he stands an excellent chance of admittance there. Wouldn't that be a GOOD thing for that athlete?
oh lord. Never mind. We always have someone who never sees the big picture. We will agree to disagree.

Yes Sir!
It could work both ways.

Let's not pretend even a small percentage of these moves would be for academics. The vast majority would be moving for sports only. This isn't the NFL but it may soon be if rules keep being added like this one.

Reactions: WVU80ate
Let's not pretend even a small percentage of these moves would be for academics. The vast majority would be moving for sports only. This isn't the NFL but it may soon be if rules keep being added like this one.
I think schools like WVU would tend to benefit more from this rule change than be harmed. The Bama's and OSU's tended to be stocked with HS recruits. An occasional transfer will happen. But the real damage is to Group 5 and below. They will become the minor leagues for the P5. The P5s are behind this I'd guess, and I agree it's bad for the sport. They'll pretend like its for the student athletes but it's about more $$$ for the P5s.

Just imagine the ramifications from a disciplinary viewpoint. Will coaches be fearful to bench a star player and risk upsetting him to the point he transfers? How will coaches be able to now handle the primadonna headcase freshman 5 star who “demands” to start immediately despite not winning out his position to an upperclassman? I don’t care how anyone spins this, it’s bad news.

Reactions: Vernon
How about when a coach leaves a school (Example: Rich Rodriguez)? With this rule change, he could’ve taken Pat White with him. And anyone else he wanted.

Head Coaches making 7-8 Figure$ annually with a guaranteed contract can host and recruit a player on a Sunday afternoon/evening for ABC University and on Monday hold a noon presser for XYZ University announcing how they are excited for their "dream" job. The NCAA and conferences have done nothing to address this. The student athletes make no money (above board), have no rights with the use of their likeness. or mandatory extra curricular volunteering, and have only a guarantee of a renewable (at the discretion of the coach) 1 year scholarship at all schools (except Northwestern, Army, Navy, & Air Force).

This rule change probably won't get approved by the NCAA because it gives power to the player and takes it away from the schools. The NCAA which is the Schools doesn't give up their control. If this does get approved, this will reset the focus and importance of college sports....

This rule change probably won't get approved by the NCAA because it gives power to the player and takes it away from the schools. The NCAA which is the Schools doesn't give up their control. If this does get approved, this will reset the focus and importance of college sports....
Unfortunately it's expected to pass.

I think schools like WVU would tend to benefit more from this rule change than be harmed. The Bama's and OSU's tended to be stocked with HS recruits. An occasional transfer will happen. But the real damage is to Group 5 and below. They will become the minor leagues for the P5. The P5s are behind this I'd guess, and I agree it's bad for the sport. They'll pretend like its for the student athletes but it's about more $$$ for the P5s.
Schools like WVU would perpetually lose their best players. The elitists would look at their roster and decide they need help at a certain position. They swoop in (legally and 'occasionally' with a great incentive package) and take what they need or desire. This would assure that the rich stay rich and the others remain 'also rans'. Why try and recruit a 5 star or even a 4 star player to most schools. They will be constantly 'on the market' to those with money and hype as being the elite. Will kill college competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody in Helvetia
Unfortunately it's expected to pass.
Truly a travesty. Now in my later years instead of watching my favorite team and hoping for good games and success I can spend my time watching and reading about the death of my team and college athletics in general. From whom did such an inane rule originate?

I think Basketball could really suffer with this rule. Huggs can be pretty tough on players and making it easy to transfer could cause us to lose players. Can’t see many players wanting to transfer to us knowing they would have to play for a demanding Coach. Hope I am wrong.

Reactions: Vernon
This is sickening. Who the hell are these people trying to pass this rule. Players lose school/course credits when they transfer it won’t help the student athletes at all. They can jump ship but won’t have much toward finishing a degree after 4-5 years for many. If the NFL/NBA doesn’t work out then lots of these guys will be back to the streets with no education.

Why give the athletes all the control to jump ship and no commitment to a school? What a travesty to college sports.

Might as well do away with signing day as it will become pointless. The coaches will never be able to stop recruiting players, even after they're already on the team. It will be harder for many schools to build quality depth (which WVU already has trouble with anyway). Year to year projections will be a shot in the dark as nobody will know for certain if they will have the same players next year. It will make "building" a program much more difficult as any key piece(s) could leave at any time.

Reactions: WVU80ate
Might as well do away with signing day as it will become pointless. The coaches will never be able to stop recruiting players, even after they're already on the team. It will be harder for many schools to build quality depth (which WVU already has trouble with anyway). Year to year projections will be a shot in the dark as nobody will know for certain if they will have the same players next year. It will make "building" a program much more difficult as any key piece(s) could leave at any time.
Exactly! It’s actually worse than professional sports because there is no contract binding them. It’s year to year based on the satisfaction of the player. If this goes through, I’m officially done with it. It’s just another liberal thought based agenda.

Well Thanks to everyone responding to my question...
I have been persuaded. BAD for WVU without a doubt ... Many angles that I had not considered.
If there is 95% chance it happens.. Not much the Fans can do. AD's should take a stand but probably won't.
Sure would like to see us get an NC before this happens. But, I'm also a realist.
Thanks!

Who or what is driving this change and why all of a sudden? It took them years to add a 10 the coach. Recruiting will never end, and if there were "tampering" rules like the NCAA could enforce.

This new rule would benefit WVU's football program, but harm WVU's basketball program, IMO. Holgorsen has benefited greatly from transfers, especially grad transfers, but Huggins' coaching style would result in more transfers out of, than in to, WVU's basketball program.

This is sickening. Who the hell are these people trying to pass this rule. Players lose school/course credits when they transfer it won’t help the student athletes at all. They can jump ship but won’t have much toward finishing a degree after 4-5 years for many. If the NFL/NBA doesn’t work out then lots of these guys will be back to the streets with no education.

Why give the athletes all the control to jump ship and no commitment to a school? What a travesty to college sports.

The 'shiny shoes' folks are they ones that are passing this rule. Obviously, there is money to be made with the rule change and it will all go to guess who? The 'shiny shoes'! Warez

This new rule is a bad idea. Kids will be hopping from one school to another like a toad to a lily pad.

940027129.jpg

IMO this rule change if approved will not really help or hurt WVU. This rule change if approved will lead to more cheating, but the NCAA doesn't seem to even care about that anymore-see UNC, U of L, and the U as total proof of that. SMU just cheated out of control 35 years too soon. Today Ron Meyer & the "Naught Nine" would be thought of as amateurs.

I do see the rule change if approved hurting the sports of both basketball and even more so football in terms of popularity. There's still a wink and a nod innocence & team thinking amongst a lot of naive fans and fan bases, especially those that haven't been on the campus of the school they support. This free agency for players (which imo is deserved since HCs can do whatever the flip they want) will be a tipping point for a lot of people in non blue blood fan bases.

For these reasons I find it unbelievable this will be allowed. Who knows? We will see.

This new rule is a bad idea. Kids will be hopping from one school to another like a toad to a lily pad.

940027129.jpg

That is a frog.....
You are not from the South or from TCU if you can't tell a frog from a toad...
Toads are useless creatures while frogs if needed can provide meat much better than anything you have ever had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT