ADVERTISEMENT

Texas AD against expansion and here we go again.

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
http://espn.go.com/college-football...horns-athletic-director-says-big-12-expansion

So, as the Big 12-2=10 is seemingly turning away from expansion...with Texas holding most of the cards including their conference eating LHN, it is beginning to feel an awful lot like the old Big East where the small basketball schools ran the league without caring for the costs and issues from the football schools. WVU is once again not in charge of its destiny...Texas is. Since the conference appears to be rolling toward a perpetual 10 team setup maybe the name should be changed to what it really is : Longhorn Sports Group.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...horns-athletic-director-says-big-12-expansion

So, as the Big 12-2=10 is seemingly turning away from expansion...with Texas holding most of the cards including their conference eating LHN, it is beginning to feel an awful lot like the old Big East where the small basketball schools ran the league without caring for the costs and issues from the football schools. WVU is once again not in charge of its destiny...Texas is. Since the conference appears to be rolling toward a perpetual 10 team setup maybe the name should be changed to what it really is : Longhorn Sports Group.

Just wondering in what world would WVU be in charge of its own destiny?

You can bitch about Texas all you want but WVU would not have been invited to the Big 12 without them. Many other league mates still wish the league would have invited Louisville.

Reactions: 3xWVUenginEER
The question going forth is will the rest of the membership-or enough of it, vote to make some changes anyway.

Perhaps there's still a way to begin some sort of streaming netwoks without Texas involved.

Either way, schools must begin planning for their futures because UT only cares about themselves and will ensure the downfall of everyone else--and then step away when the grant of rights ends.

To pretend other P5's are going to want to join a BIG 12 down the road when it has a tiny footprint, hasn't added markets or viewers, has only had a 62% chance of making playoffs and as a result misses many, and continues to get nothing but negative press-----oh, and the conference members can't make themselves financially equal to other conferences except for Texas, because Texas won't allow an LHN?

Good luck. Not only will attracting other P5s like the UT AD thinks be impossible, it also won't be possible to get a competitive tv deal in 2025.

Gee and Lyons have some tough work ahead unless something changes over the summer.

Some of you are acting surprised by this.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense knew Big XII expansion was and is deader than Elvis and Rock & Roll unless it's with a current P5 school. This won't happen until the SEC and B1G go to 16 (and that's if they don't splinter and fracture before then). No way expansion is good with the G5 options being any combination of 2 directional FL commuter schools and/or 3-4 urban commuter schools that don't even own their own markets, and certainly not a womens basketball school in CT Relax and be happy we still got the best conference & situation we have ever had and the best schedules ever.

Also forget about expanding for a conference network, the shine is already off those. Niether ESPN or Fox or NBC or CBS or ABC to XYZ are agreeing to fund those startups anymore with ridiculous and stupid guaranteed $$$$$$$$. The reason why these networks lose $$$$$$ is they only got 6 months AT MOST (and that's if you like footballl and basketball) of original programming for viewers in a year and that leaves AT LEAST 6 months (for me it's 8 months cause I really don't care about basketball unless it's NCAA tournament) when nobody cares or is watching. You can only watch so much SEC Storied or B1G legends before you're like "Ah a rerun of Seinfeld-The Soup Nazi is on followed by Steve Harvey hosting Family Feud, time to go to my local fox affiliate." And thats assuming you're a fan of that conference to begin with.

The PAC 12 has a huuuuuggge footprint but it has already went regional. Why???? Nobody cares that much. The SEC Network is a financial loser for espn (as is the LHN). The B1G network had a better business model & deal with cable providers to start with, but cable subscriptions are becoming a thing of the past.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: Fingon
This is why Nebraska, and Texas A&M left the Big 12. I think that Texas is looking at either being an Independent or joining the PAC 12 if they let them keep the Longhorn Network. I can see the BIG go after Oklahoma and Kansas if things fall this way. And the SEC will go after Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. I still think that the Big 12 will still take Houston and one of the Florida's but I can see Texas screwing this up

The SEC won't go after TT w/o UT, maybe Poke but not w/o OU. OU won't leave to the B1G w/o Poke. I do predict the next conf. to be raided is the ACC, bigger population markets which is what this whole thing is about. Most likely GT/UNC to the B1G

The only way for WVU to protect itself at this point is to become a true power in athletics...particularly football. That doesn't mean settling for 7-5 or an 8-5 finish. School with small footprint in a small state with no national swagger any longer needs to hit it out of the park going forward.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr

This is the smart move. Good job Texas. Until there are 2 schools worth adding, it makes no sense to expand just to expand. Adding CUSA, Big East/AAC garbage hurts the conference.

The SEC won't go after TT w/o UT, maybe Poke but not w/o OU. OU won't leave to the B1G w/o Poke. I do predict the next conf. to be raided is the ACC, bigger population markets which is what this whole thing is about. Most likely GT/UNC to the B1G
Everyone always says the ACC will be raided. I think the PAC 12 is ripe. Both make less than the Big 12. The Big 12 needs to work all angles. Contact schools there as well. I would contact the Arizona schools.

UMMM WVU was a Big East team

So was nearly half of the ACC. And half of those six schools had winning records in the conference last year. But that's somehow different. If the ACC didn't take you from the Big East you just weren't good enough for a power 5 conference. That would include schools like Cincinnati, UConn, and WVU. Isn't that ironic?

Reactions: Rootmaster
So was nearly half of the ACC. And half of those six schools had winning records in the conference last year. But that's somehow different. If the ACC didn't take you from the Big East you just weren't good enough for a power 5 conference. That would include schools like Cincinnati, UConn, and WVU. Isn't that ironic?

Maybe someday one of those three teams will have an opportunity to show they belong in a power 5 conference as well as the other 6. And prove it.

Egads, it's WAY too long till football season. The Big 12 expansion/contraction/demise/whatever is all we have left to obsess about.
Wonder what WVU will do against Missouri and BYU before mopping up its Big 12 opponents (we can always hope)?

Now that's a real Mountaineer attitude! I salute Cuyahoga Falls Eers.

Yeah because the ACC took WVU, huh? Good grief man. The Big 12 took WVU because they were valuable. In fact every former original Big East member except Temple was taken by a P5 conference. The current Big East/AAC teams are former CUSA garbage or schools who weren't around at this level until recently. Yes, that includes Cinci and UConn. My point stands, the teams of value were taken by other p5 conferences. The rest isn't valuable enough now.

Yeah because the ACC took WVU, huh? Good grief man. The Big 12 took WVU because they were valuable. In fact every former original Big East member except Temple was taken by a P5 conference. The current Big East/AAC teams are former CUSA garbage or schools who weren't around at this level until recently. Yes, that includes Cinci and UConn. My point stands, the teams of value were taken by other p5 conferences. The rest isn't valuable enough now.

You have no point. In football, the Big East had all eight members play in bowl games since the 2005 realignment and had seven of eight teams ranked in the Top 25 since 2003. In that time, the Big East saw the emergence of new national players with West Virginia rising to as high as No. 1 and was ranked in the Top 10 for three-straight years (2005, 2006, 2007), South Florida rising as high as No. 2, Cincinnati and Louisville both as high as No. 3, Rutgers as high as No. 6, Pittsburgh as high as No. 9, and Connecticut as high as No. 13 in BCS standings.

You are turning me into a Gamecock fan! After WVU, of course.

Last edited:
You have no point. In football, the Big East had all eight members play in bowl games since the 2005 realignment and had seven of eight teams ranked in the Top 25 since 2003. In that time, the Big East saw the emergence of new national players with West Virginia rising to as high as No. 1 and was ranked in the Top 10 for three-straight years (2005, 2006, 2007), South Florida rising as high as No. 2, Cincinnati and Louisville both as high as No. 3, Rutgers as high as No. 6, Pittsburgh as high as No. 9, and Connecticut as high as No. 13 in BCS standings.

You are turning me into a Gamecock fan! After WVU, of course.
No son, I do have a point. As I stated, 7 of the 8 ORIGINAL Big East members joined other P5 conferences. Temple is the only remaining member not to leave. As I said, nobody wants the diluted CUSA shit that's left in the reconfigured Big East/AAC. Btw I thought you put me on ignore? Lol.

Yea...saw that and posted to the Mayfield thread. Lot of back scratching going on between the Sooners and the 'horns suddenly. Still wander what deals are being made back in the shadows. Been around this stuff before in person...and makes me wonder.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT