ADVERTISEMENT

Texas – WVU: A Bit of Heat, But Not A Rivalry

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009
This is when West Virginians really miss playing Pitt.

https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virginia-mountaineers/texas-wvu-a-bit-of-heat-but-not-a-rivalry/

Texas comes to town this week, and yes, that’s a helluva attraction. But it ain’t West Virginia’s rival.

Oh, they are in the same conference, which makes the game important, and Texas owns one of college football’s richest histories while also being one of the game’s richest programs.

But they ain’t Pitt.

In truth, to West Virginia, it isn’t Virginia Tech, either.

Now it’s true, the series has been hard fought, WVU leading, 5-3, with two WVU one-point victories, a Texas overtime win, and WVU winning two more games by three and four points.

But close games don’t make a rivalry. Normally, close proximity does. And history.

See, there have been books written about “The Backyard Brawl.” There have been sentences written about WVU-Texas.

The Brawl was important enough a game in 1921 to be the first college football ever broadcast on radio.

The two teams involved have played 104 times, not eight.

Look, it's never going to be Pitt, not going to be VT, not even going to be Syracuse or the hilarity of Guido Week (Rutgers), but Texas is the best we are ever going to get while we remain in the Big Xii. The fan anticipation and hatred for the Longhorns is the best we will ever do while in this conference.

Texas is our new Pitt and Oklahoma is our new Penn State. Embrace it, because it's going to be that way for a while.

Call them Pitt it is an insult.
So why should we hang onto this game with Pitt when they are a nobody. Don't care what goes on in Bob Hertzel's head. Pitt is a nobody. They get happy over beating UCF.

Pitt nothing or not is WVU rival. Not Texas. Get over it Greg

You don't even make sense.

You play against teams that benefits WVU.
A win against Texas is way bigger than a win against Pitt. Especially considering we don't play Pitt. Texas and Oklahoma have National names as Blue Blood programs.
Need to create energy by playing them.
Pitt is a nobody. Does that bother you. Pitt is a dying program. If it is does Greg that is good because it is the truth.

Reactions: steeleer
This is not about beating Texas. This is about media and some fans like yourself trying to say this is a rivalry. Now I know why they call you dick head.

It is an important game for WVU. Probably our biggest game this year. Need to get the name out there. If that bothers people they are either Pitt fans or they are stuck in the past.
Playing Pitt all those years didn't help WVU. No reason to be stuck in a small pond when college football is a large one

You have no clue what this thread is about. Read the f'ing article or stay out of my thread dumbass.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
You have no clue what this thread is about. Read the f'ing article or stay out of my thread dumbass.

I think you are missing the point.

We don't need Pitt. The rivarly with Pitt didn't allow WVU to be the program they should. Maybe creating a game with Texas can. Just look at Oklahoma.

I think you are missing the point.

We don't need Pitt. The rivarly with Pitt didn't allow WVU to be the program they should. Maybe creating a game with Texas can. Just look at Oklahoma.

But you're missing the point of the article. The point of the article is what makes a rivalry. Texas is not a rival. Play for a 104 years and maybe this becomes a Rival. Nobody in the Big 12 is a rival game. Tired of your bullshit reply's and the attempt to over take threads and switch a subject into something it's not like trolls as you and your multiple profiles try to do.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
But you're missing the point of the article. The point of the article is what makes a rivalry. Texas is not a rival. Play for a 104 years and maybe this becomes a Rival. Nobody in the Big 12 is a rival game. Tired of your bullshit reply's and the attempt to over take threads and switch a subject into something it's not like trolls as you and your multiple profiles try to do.

What does Pitt have anything to do with this week?
We moved up and left Pitt behind. Bob Hertzel isn't helping WVU with this article

I agree with the title of this thread without even reading any of it. Some heat but no rivalry yet. But big bad big money and numbers Texas, and little ole no in state talent west virginia, u say that's a point for us. In today's college football, they shouldnt even care about us existing, let alone be losing to us at home and having the league make rules to spare their feelings

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Pitt nothing or not is WVU rival. Not Texas. Get over it Greg

I agree with you most of the time, but not on this one. Pitt was WVU's rival. It pains me to even type that because I raised when I was told I would always hate Pitt, but you have to play a rival for them to be one. Even when we did play Pitt, WVU has dominated the series all the way back to 1983. Pitt won 9 games in that 29 game stretch. There were also 2 tie games in there. Not much of a rival. Even when Pitt won it was usually by a slim margin unlike WVU wins, which had a good sprinkling of 52's in them.

I think that WVU no longer has a rival, but I do not think that is unique to us. Taxes does not have A&M, Nebraska has neither Colorado or Oklahoma. Some major rivalries died in the marketing departments over the years.

Plus the cupboard is bare. Not many recruits left in the WPIAL. Not like in the late 1970's and even early 1980's.

Texas has recruits. Beating Texas is a big deal in Texas and some of the recruits like how we do it. This was Dana's idea in the beginning.
From what I heard Neal Brown say Tuesday he agrees as well. He was pandering to Texas HS Coaches at the Big 12 media day and he did again on Tuesday.

Best way to treat a rival like Pitt. Push those bitches over the cliff and laugh.

This is when West Virginians really miss playing Pitt.

https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virginia-mountaineers/texas-wvu-a-bit-of-heat-but-not-a-rivalry/

Texas comes to town this week, and yes, that’s a helluva attraction. But it ain’t West Virginia’s rival.

Oh, they are in the same conference, which makes the game important, and Texas owns one of college football’s richest histories while also being one of the game’s richest programs.

But they ain’t Pitt.

In truth, to West Virginia, it isn’t Virginia Tech, either.

Now it’s true, the series has been hard fought, WVU leading, 5-3, with two WVU one-point victories, a Texas overtime win, and WVU winning two more games by three and four points.

But close games don’t make a rivalry. Normally, close proximity does. And history.

See, there have been books written about “The Backyard Brawl.” There have been sentences written about WVU-Texas.

The Brawl was important enough a game in 1921 to be the first college football ever broadcast on radio.

The two teams involved have played 104 times, not eight.

I’ve argued for an extended 10 year series between Pitt/WVU at the highest levels at Pitt. If I were AD I’d work toward an annual game forever. Pitt has two and a half rivals. Penn St and WVU for sure and kinda ND. I won’t be happy til Pitt and WVU play every year. In all sports.

Call them Pitt it is an insult.
So why should we hang onto this game with Pitt when they are a nobody. Don't care what goes on in Bob Hertzel's head. Pitt is a nobody. They get happy over beating UCF.

I wouldn’t expect you to know. But if you were really a football guy and not a fan boy you would know. Anytime you beat a top 15 team it’s a good day. If you were a football guy you’d know that too. But you’re a fan boy so you missed that one as well.

You don't even make sense.

You play against teams that benefits WVU.
A win against Texas is way bigger than a win against Pitt. Especially considering we don't play Pitt. Texas and Oklahoma have National names as Blue Blood programs.
Need to create energy by playing them.
Pitt is a nobody. Does that bother you. Pitt is a dying program. If it is does Greg that is good because it is the truth.

Why is my name being thrown around in this awesome thread.

I think most rivals are regional too Allen. It’s called the Backyard Brawl for a reason.

I’ve argued for an extended 10 year series between Pitt/WVU at the highest levels at Pitt. If I were AD I’d work toward an annual game forever. Pitt has two and a half rivals. Penn St and WVU for sure and kinda ND. I won’t be happy til Pitt and WVU play every year. In all sports.

Rather play VT every year if there was a choice. They have fans. You just don't get it. Pitt is a nobody and doesn't deserve WVU. You are more on the level of Marshall.

I'm sure Texas would like to change us to their rival, being Oklahoma's bitch cant be sitting well

Meetings total 114
All-time series Texas leads, 62–47–5
Largest victory Oklahoma, 65–13 (2003)
Longest win streak Texas, 8 (1940–47, 1958–65)
Current win streak 1 (Oklahoma)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT