ADVERTISEMENT

Stills

MichiganHerd

All-American
Aug 17, 2011
Just arrived in the panhandle a few hours ago. I've tried 4 different beers so far, including one IPA the bartender said would be the best one I ever tasted. It was in the bottom two of the worse I've ever tasted. All beers I've had so far have tanked. Fortunately, there's a store close by that sells a few Michigan beers, so I'm going to run over there, and pick up a good mix to drink back at the condo. Ever heard of Still Water, out of Atlanta? That's two of the beers I've tried. $6.00 per pint. I might as well of gotten 12 of Busch.

Just arrived in the panhandle a few hours ago. I've tried 4 different beers so far, including one IPA the bartender said would be the best one I ever tasted. It was in the bottom two of the worse I've ever tasted. All beers I've had so far have tanked. Fortunately, there's a store close by that sells a few Michigan beers, so I'm going to run over there, and pick up a good mix to drink back at the condo. Ever heard of Still Water, out of Atlanta? That's two of the beers I've tried. $6.00 per pint. I might as well of gotten 12 of Busch.
Stillwater or Sweetwater? The Sweetwater 420 is pretty good imo

Stillwater or Sweetwater? The Sweetwater 420 is pretty good imo
420 is a solid pale. Their consistency is always been their problem. I had a really good beer they made with an Italian brewery. Overall you are in a beer desert. Look for Cigar city. If you are lucky and find a humidor series buy it.

Yes, it's Sweet Water, not Still. Beers I had yesterday weren't too good. Drinkable, but not great. I picked up a mixed 12 pack of theirs late last night, which has 3 pale ales, 3 ipas, and what sounds like some girl beers. Wife will drink those, unless I like them. Can't seem to find any porters or decent stouts in bottles anywhere, but I'm intent on locating some today.

Yes, it's Sweet Water, not Still. Beers I had yesterday weren't too good. Drinkable, but not great. I picked up a mixed 12 pack of theirs late last night, which has 3 pale ales, 3 ipas, and what sounds like some girl beers. Wife will drink those, unless I like them. Can't seem to find any porters or decent stouts in bottles anywhere, but I'm intent on locating some today.

If you come across Fuller's London Porter give it a shot. It's one of my favorite porters but it's hard to find. Fuller's IPA is decent too.

I just drank a 420 Pale, and it is a pretty decent beer. Only about 5 1/2% so makes for a good morning porch beer.

Getting back to this again, there was one IPA down there that wasn't half bad, and it was 7.5%, so that got me a little bowed up after drinking several. It was from Cigar City Brewing, called Jai Alai, or something like that. All said, after talking to several of the brewers down there, they told me the craft beer industry was just starting to take off a little in the recent couple of years, and that most places are only making small batches of traditional beers, the pale ales, IPAs, blondes/goldens, etc., due to most of their clientele not being big into stouts and porters. One local brewery in PCB (Nivol) did have a Vanilla Porter and a Stout on tap, but they weren't all that good, but drinkable. All said, this would probably be a great time to start up your own brewery down that way.

Getting back to this again, there was one IPA down there that wasn't half bad, and it was 7.5%, so that got me a little bowed up after drinking several. It was from Cigar City Brewing, called Jai Alai, or something like that. All said, after talking to several of the brewers down there, they told me the craft beer industry was just starting to take off a little in the recent couple of years, and that most places are only making small batches of traditional beers, the pale ales, IPAs, blondes/goldens, etc., due to most of their clientele not being big into stouts and porters. One local brewery in PCB (Nivol) did have a Vanilla Porter and a Stout on tap, but they weren't all that good, but drinkable. All said, this would probably be a great time to start up your own brewery down that way.
Too damn hot in Florida for me. I was looking at our 10 day forecast, and we have projected highs in the upper 70s and low 80s. Not bad for the middle of summer.

I agree with the too damn hot thing. I was ready to come back home after about the 5th day. I'm not sure I'll go back down there for a week during the summer time again. My wife loves the damn heat though. She kept wanting to eat outside with the damn temperature in the low 90s that felt like 120. Beer stays cold for about 90 seconds tops. Next trip, I'm going to drive, and do like a 10 day historical type trip through the Northeast. Hit the PA historical spots, maybe the finger lakes, and up to Boston, and onto Maine. Probably go to Maine first, and then drink my way back to Michigan.

I agree with the too damn hot thing. I was ready to come back home after about the 5th day. I'm not sure I'll go back down there for a week during the summer time again. My wife loves the damn heat though. She kept wanting to eat outside with the damn temperature in the low 90s that felt like 120. Beer stays cold for about 90 seconds tops. Next trip, I'm going to drive, and do like a 10 day historical type trip through the Northeast. Hit the PA historical spots, maybe the finger lakes, and up to Boston, and onto Maine. Probably go to Maine first, and then drink my way back to Michigan.
Good beer up in the northeast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT