Sags' brother being involved in decision about whether Sags plays or
not.
That was a follow-up to story in Dominion Post today where Huggs
was quoted that such decisions were being handled by Sags and his
brother. The radio interview indicated that it is a major problem within
the team. It was noted how well Sags played against pitt and then doesn't
even play against Rhode Island.
Shame he doesn't realize that it was the coaching that got him from where
he was his first year (didn't have a clue) to the change where he is now recognized
as one of the best shot blockers in the country. His brother might be a great
brother but doesn't know jack shit about coaching basketball.

This type attitude could cost him what little shot he has at making the NBA. This stuff becomes a cancer on the team that may never recover from. He is suppose to be a leader. Sounds like he's crying because he can't take 10 3's and 10 drives to the basket each game. He's not a 2 and he's not a 3. He needs to get over himself and work on the stuff the NBA told him during the off season.

We should just let Gordon play and develop. At this point it would be better for the teams future, since this season is basically already a bust. In fact he needs to be sent packing imo. This kind of stuff hurts teams from within.

This type attitude could cost him what little shot he has at making the NBA. This stuff becomes a cancer on the team that may never recover from. He is suppose to be a leader. Sounds like he's crying because he can't take 10 3's and 10 drives to the basket each game. He's not a 2 and he's not a 3. He needs to get over himself and work on the stuff the NBA told him during the off season.

It sounds more like what Kwahi Leonard did with the Spurs last year.

Reactions: spreadoption
Any family member who tries to tell Huggins how to coach is out of his league. Huggins has proven himself. Sags needs to prove himself or his pro career with be in Europe. He's a great shot-blocker but every player has to have a complete game. Rebounding, dunking, passing count, too.

Reactions: WESTBGVA
Huggs is usually not the kind to handle this in the media, which he kind of did. I believe that was a warning shot.

If this doesn’t resolve this week, I bet Huggs places in on medical leave for a couple weeks, effectively removing him from being the decision making end of all this.

I personally would then have a sit down with him and his brother and it would essentially be him being told that the team doctors will handle all future playing decisions if he wants to stay on the team.

Sags is great, but this team sucks. I would not allow any one player to undermine my authority when at best you’re looking at the NIT.

Reactions: spreadoption
Sags is the epitome of a "tweener".

Not big enough to be an NBA center.
Not quick enough to be an NBA wing.
Not a good enough handler or shooter to be an NBA guard.

Look at Kevin Jones, another classic tweener, and probably the best offensive rebounder we've had here under Huggins.

Not big enough to play center. Not quick enough to be a wing. Could shoot but not good enough of quick enough to be a guard. Still making a nice living in Europe.

This needs to put in Sag's ear. An NBA team MAY take a chance on you for a role player. But they won't if you have "knee problems" that keep you out of games.

We should just let Gordon play and develop. At this point it would be better for the teams future, since this season is basically already a bust. In fact he needs to be sent packing imo. This kind of stuff hurts teams from within.
In the business world folks unwilling to follow the desires of those considered their 'bosses' are not tolerated. Insubordination is the technical term for refusing to partake in activities that are considered 'part of your job'. If Sags prefers to listen to the dictates of his brother and not his coach then it seems a reasonable presumption that he be given his release so he might devote his entire attention to that brother and the team he coaches. Oh, am I hearing his brother is not a coach and does not have a team. Then it seems that makes two family members that might well find themselves in the same exact boat!

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Huggs is usually not the kind to handle this in the media, which he kind of did. I believe that was a warning shot.

If this doesn’t resolve this week, I bet Huggs places in on medical leave for a couple weeks, effectively removing him from being the decision making end of all this.

I personally would then have a sit down with him and his brother and it would essentially be him being told that the team doctors will handle all future playing decisions if he wants to stay on the team.

Sags is great, but this team sucks. I would not allow any one player to undermine my authority when at best you’re looking at the NIT.
As soon as one player gets a coach to make special rules for him, the coach is in trouble. Ask Catlett about Jonathan Hargett. The kid who ended Catlett's career at WVU before Jonathan wound up in jail for selling drugs.

As soon as one player gets a coach to make special rules for him, the coach is in trouble. Ask Catlett about Jonathan Hargett. The kid who ended Catlett's career at WVU before Jonathan wound up in jail for selling drugs.

I was thinking the very same thing.

I'm sure Konate is hearing from his brother about how much money he will make in the NBA and how it will help family members here and in Africa. Apparently, the brother has never watched an NBA game.

Any family member who tries to tell Huggins how to coach is out of his league. Huggins has proven himself. Sags needs to prove himself or his pro career with be in Europe. He's a great shot-blocker but every player has to have a complete game. Rebounding, dunking, passing count, too.
THIS IS TAJH BOYD FATHER!- good times

Konate's brother was lucky to have a scholarship at Minnesota, as he wasn't any good, and played, due to injuries to others, as opposed to anything positive that he did on the Court.

Hargett became a successful entrepreneur, and then the Po Po pulled him over and found the cocaine..he spent five years in prison in Virginia.

Very early in the season of Hargett's arrival, may even have been the first game, I went to the game at JMU to watch him after the big buildup...Our first two possessions he took the inbounds pass, dribbled barely across half-court, and fired up two 30 footers...the first one was an air ball, the second thudded off the backboard...the amazing thing to me was that Gale left him in the game, didn't even call a timeout to ream his ass...it was evident at that point who was running the program...hard to sit there and watch after enjoying Gale's brand of WVU ball...

Very early in the season of Hargett's arrival, may even have been the first game, I went to the game at JMU to watch him after the big buildup...Our first two possessions he took the inbounds pass, dribbled barely across half-court, and fired up two 30 footers...the first one was an air ball, the second thudded off the backboard...the amazing thing to me was that Gale left him in the game, didn't even call a timeout to ream his ass...it was evident at that point who was running the program...hard to sit there and watch after enjoying Gale's brand of WVU ball...
Speaking of Gale's brands, I could never figure out his substitution theory. With the exception of just a handful of player if he had a guy hit two or three shots in a row Catlett would sub him.

Speaking of Gale's brands, I could never figure out his substitution theory. With the exception of just a handful of player if he had a guy hit two or three shots in a row Catlett would sub him.
That's funny. He absolutely would do that. on the good side of the thing, the guy could draw up a play for an open shot after every timeout. our guys wouldn't always make it, but Catlett got them a good look. I think Huggs could be better at drawing up plays to get us an open look.

overall, i thought catlett was a great coach. not that great of a recruiter, but he managed games very well. The games in the coliseum in the 80s and early 90s were electric, and i've never been to a game, not under beilein or huggs, where the crowds even slightly compared to the raucous fans of the 80s and 90s. I went to a pitt game in 87 or 88, three hours early, and my buddies and i had to sit in the very top row of the student section. if you weren't crazy about mountaineer basketball, you wouldn't put the time in.

the schedule is much, much better now, but when the top A10 teams came to town, that place got rowdy! we just obliterated a UNLV team that had 5 pros in their lineup.

That's funny. He absolutely would do that. on the good side of the thing, the guy could draw up a play for an open shot after every timeout. our guys wouldn't always make it, but Catlett got them a good look. I think Huggs could be better at drawing up plays to get us an open look.

overall, i thought catlett was a great coach. not that great of a recruiter, but he managed games very well. The games in the coliseum in the 80s and early 90s were electric, and i've never been to a game, not under beilein or huggs, where the crowds even slightly compared to the raucous fans of the 80s and 90s. I went to a pitt game in 87 or 88, three hours early, and my buddies and i had to sit in the very top row of the student section. if you weren't crazy about mountaineer basketball, you wouldn't put the time in.

the schedule is much, much better now, but when the top A10 teams came to town, that place got rowdy! we just obliterated a UNLV team that had 5 pros in their lineup.
The loudest I remember was Temple 87 or 88. We lost by one I think.

Reactions: WVUDisciples
I was at that game also in Harrisonburg.... remember it well.... WVU got beat down...

Reactions: LittleRivEER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT