ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Statement from WVU Vice President for Strategic Initiatives and Interim Athletics Director Rob Alsop on the WVU Football Program:

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Statement from WVU Vice President for Strategic Initiatives and Interim Athletics Director Rob Alsop on the WVU Football Program:

Rob Alsop:

“Over the past several weeks, President Gee and I have discussed the future of WVU Athletics and our football program with a number of individuals and talented athletic administrators from across the country. We were also impressed with the effort of our team the last few weeks. Additionally, we have also had discussions with Coach Brown and our new Director of Athletics, Wren Baker, about our next steps as a department. In fact, Wren and Coach Brown have already connected relating to the future of the program. As a result of all of these efforts and discussions, it is clear that Coach Brown should continue to lead our football program.

“With new energy that comes with new leadership, it is time to rally around Wren’s leadership as we move forward quickly to recruit more top student-athletes to our program and continue to develop the incredibly talented group of returning players who are an integral part of our Mountaineer family. I know that Wren will be focusing a lot his time and attention on how we improve our results on the football field and across a number of our programs.

“I will continue to work with Wren, Neal, and the rest of our Athletics program to ensure a smooth transition to the next era for our Athletics Department. Let’s go!”

Not acceptable for the worst hire in nearly 50 years. Just stretching out the inevitable and casting off thousands of formerly faithful WVU fans that have been betrayed. Next loss- Penn State. I wont waste my time.

• Haha
Reactions: Popeer
Not acceptable for the worst hire in nearly 50 years. Just stretching out the inevitable and casting off thousands of formerly faithful WVU fans that have been betrayed. Next loss- Penn State. I wont waste my time.
Please stop wasting your time now. You add ZILCH to this board.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
I’m pretty disappointed but since the decision has been made I truly hope he turns things around. Please!!!

Then how many games in '23 must HCNB win to become satisfactory?
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

I’d expect at least 10,000 less season tickets and 10-20,000 less fans in the stadium next year- especially after the opening loss to Penn State. If he blows it to Pitt this year the rails will come off. A 1-2 start will be a disaster for WVU football. Have to start wondering how - what is the number acceptable to the WVU brass to toss Brown to the curb. If they plan on keeping Brown through his entire contract regardless of results then WVU IS the new Kansas.

Statement from WVU Vice President for Strategic Initiatives and Interim Athletics Director Rob Alsop on the WVU Football Program:

Rob Alsop:

“Over the past several weeks, President Gee and I have discussed the future of WVU Athletics and our football program with a number of individuals and talented athletic administrators from across the country. We were also impressed with the effort of our team the last few weeks. Additionally, we have also had discussions with Coach Brown and our new Director of Athletics, Wren Baker, about our next steps as a department. In fact, Wren and Coach Brown have already connected relating to the future of the program. As a result of all of these efforts and discussions, it is clear that Coach Brown should continue to lead our football program.

“With new energy that comes with new leadership, it is time to rally around Wren’s leadership as we move forward quickly to recruit more top student-athletes to our program and continue to develop the incredibly talented group of returning players who are an integral part of our Mountaineer family. I know that Wren will be focusing a lot his time and attention on how we improve our results on the football field and across a number of our programs.

“I will continue to work with Wren, Neal, and the rest of our Athletics program to ensure a smooth transition to the next era for our Athletics Department. Let’s go!”

63-FEA895-F6-A1-4865-B725-0-F3-C432-EF02-C.jpg

Yes it was supposed to be so easy for someone to step in and win more than Holgorsen according to some of the nuts here, 10 wins or gone.

No one ever said that. Most said WVU should try to win more than Holgorsen was winning at WVU. Most were saying that there was a real chance WVU could do worse than Holgorsen, but it was a risk that had to taken if WVU wanted to be in a better spot to snag a Big 12 championship.

There were 2 separate choices when it came to Holgorsen. First choice was whether or not to exceed a 5 year, 20 million guaranteed commitment that Houston was offering him. Second was who to replace Holgorsen with if WVU couldn't, or wouldn't, compete with that offer. The latter getting royally screwed up by Lyons does not affect first. It is not a binary choice where if Brown is not worth the huge commitment WVU made to him then Holgorsen is/was. Neither are worthy, just Brown is less so.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
You being here is not acceptable. I understand Marshall is in a bowl and could use some fans and support. I suggest you go and stay away from all things WVU.

I’d expect at least 10,000 less season tickets and 10-20,000 less fans in the stadium next year- especially after the opening loss to Penn State. If he blows it to Pitt this year the rails will come off. A 1-2 start will be a disaster for WVU football. Have to start wondering how - what is the number acceptable to the WVU brass to toss Brown to the curb. If they plan on keeping Brown through his entire contract regardless of results then WVU IS the new Kansas.
How would you know? You've never had season tickets or attended a live game.

Rob Alsop:

it is clear that Coach Brown should continue to lead our football program.

Smoke and mirrors time. The worst WVU football coaching career record in 43 years makes it "clear that Coach Brown should continue to lead our football program."

A 5th season of struggling to reach as high as mediocrity!

I'll take my thousands of $$$ I contribute annual to my beloved alma mater and spend it on trips during football season that don't include Mountaineer Field. Oh, I'll watch the games on TV because I owe my alma mater that. But not the current administration a penny's worth!

You want him fired if he goes 10-2?
I would consider keeping him another year, if he went at least 9-3 regular season with a bowl win to make 10 wins. Anything less than that is a failure with the 5 best recruiting classes in WVU history under his belt. Time to see better than we hear on these great recruiting classes.

Last edited:

Smoke and mirrors time. The worst WVU football coaching career record in 43 years makes it "clear that Coach Brown should continue to lead our football program."

I'll take my thousands of $$$ I contribute annual to my beloved alma mater and spend it on trips during football season that don't include Mountaineer Field. Oh, I'll watch the games on TV because I owe my alma mater that. But not the current administration a penny's worth!
Thank God. Good riddance. Watching the games on TV supports the Mountaineers financially. WVU will not miss you.

A true blue Mountaineer.

Was it my decision to keep Brown?
blind support by people such as yourself obviously contributed to the debacle. It gives the powers that be and Brown COVER. If NO ONE supported Brown they would have canned him as he should have been.

Last edited:

I won't waste time watching either. Agree 100%--what a ridiculous statement "clear that Coach Brown should continue to lead our football program." Huh? The guy has a losing conference record. Losing overall record. Losing record vs. FBS teams. Losing record vs. winning FBS programs. Losing record on the road. How do you concoct that he should continue to lead anything with a record like that?

They should be trying to make statements about how the financial situation has tied their hands until a resolution can be found.

Have to guess they've lost many donors over Brown which is why they've had to hire a financial guy to come in as AD to try and make up for the losses to revenue.

or they hired a financial guy because Lyons did not know what to do. In this time of college free agency, you got to have money to keep players. Period.

ADVERTISEMENT