ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game attendance

Sorry, Vernon but that seems really low for a spring game. We need more fans out the and he'll where are all the students. I know we will never have as many as Ohio St. but we should be able to get 15-20,000 there. Disappointed in that number and that doesn't bode well for recruits in my opinion.

Sorry, Vernon but that seems really low for a spring game. We need more fans out the and he'll where are all the students. I know we will never have as many as Ohio St. but we should be able to get 15-20,000 there. Disappointed in that number and that doesn't bode well for recruits in my opinion.
It should definitely be a lot higher but WVU will have to do a better job of making it an event that people will come out for.

I wasn't there but do they have like a cookout or food for the recruitsand their families? You always see other schools doin things like that.

I don't think Dana likes the idea of the spring game and certainly doesn't put much effort into making it exciting for the fans. It used to be much better when they drafted two teams and actually played a game.

They need to treat it like a minor league baseball team would... ...anything and everything to get people to attend (even if the reason isn't directly related to the game itself).

A food festival would certainly help.

--ChiliFest-- Currently in Huntington and claims 20,000 people attend (and that it's sanctioned by the International Chili Society).

--HotDog Festival-- Also currently in Huntington. Events/bands thru the day.

--Pepperoni Festival --I suppose the closest thing would be Fairmont's Three Rivers Festival. They have an amateur and professional bake-off. Again...decent events during the whole day.

--Ramp Festival-- Held in multiple locations, but Richwood seems to have the largest. It should be noted that the Spring game is typically played at just the right time for ramps.

Personally....I say steal all their glory.

Short of a balloon festival....maybe the Wine And Jazz Fest (lol)....there's really no notable ones in Morgantown (I think...could easily be wrong). Food fests make for exceptional single day events.

A festival is just the tip of the game promotional game plan... ....and truthfully I'm a bit shocked WVU doesn't put more effort promoting the event (using secondary reasons to attend).

I could go on....but I'm pretty sure that I've already typed so much that most people won't even make it to this closing comment.

I don't think Dana likes the idea of the spring game and certainly doesn't put much effort into making it exciting for the fans. It used to be much better when they drafted two teams and actually played a game.
Not sure Dana likes much of anything when it comes to fans (and media). I swear he'd like to play the games in front of no one. Not sure where he thinks his salary comes from. This is NOT a fire Dana post, but his attitude toward some things is starting to wear on me.

Reactions: Vernon
Dana does not seem to like to entertain the public - and I see that as a problem. (Of course I understand that problem because I would be worse at it than he is). I think the best two crowds at the Spring Game have been the two that were held on Friday evening. 2011 & 2012. This is probably the first one that I have missed in 10 years.

I'd be more interested to know what season ticket sales look like. Nobody pays attention to the spring game, or so I've been told!

Not sure Dana likes much of anything when it comes to fans (and media). I swear he'd like to play the games in front of no one. Not sure where he thinks his salary comes from. This is NOT a fire Dana post, but his attitude toward some things is starting to wear on me.

Understood.....although there are indeed 'fans' and 'media' who are knowledgeable and objective about football, many 'fans' are fickle, and many in the 'media' are simply critics. So whether one likes it or not, Holgorsen's "attitude", as well as most other coaches around the country, is understandable. [smoke]

It was cold. Wife and I went and left quickly - wind blowing and besides am an olde fart. Make no mistake this is a small crowd but weather did play a role. However, when coupled with the extremely low attendance for the open practice in Morgantown things are not looking good. I'll continue to buy my season tickets, but won't be surprised is season ticket sales drops yet again. As for the open practice there were indeed several hundred, but as I understand it nearly all where high school coaches in town for a coaching clinic. Regular folks were said to be less than 100. And Dana didn't even greet them or acknowledge their coming out.

As a Mountaineer for nearly 55 years, I hope for success. The tone of the Dana Era just doesn't seem to be of a friendly nature.

ADVERTISEMENT