ADVERTISEMENT

Spoke with an AD and another major University last week.

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 1, 2002
He ask me what WVU fans thought of Dana and he gave me his opinion which I thought was interesting(btw I told him Dana was growing on me and liked his offense with defense get much better). He said Dana is known within the industry has a great offensive mind and play caller. It is also is widely known that he hates the aspect of meeting with fans, alums, and media. He said in this day an age meeting with fans and media is very important to building your brand. Since WVU is a Land Grant/State type school it makes out reach even more important. He said if your not meeting with fans and media then you better win big.

He thought a City type school like UC may be a better fit for him long-term because no school with a large active fan base would want this in a coach.

He said he liked Dana as a person but he has limitations in his skill set for a head coach.

He ask me what WVU fans thought of Dana and he gave me his opinion which I thought was interesting(btw I told him Dana was growing on me and liked his offense with defense get much better). He said Dana is known within the industry has a great offensive mind and play caller. It is also is widely known that he hates the aspect of meeting with fans, alums, and media. He said in this day an age meeting with fans and media is very important to building your brand. Since WVU is a Land Grant/State type school it makes out reach even more important. He said if your not meeting with fans and media then you better win big.

He thought a City type school like UC may be a better fit for him long-term because no school with a large active fan base would want this in a coach.

He said he liked Dana as a person but he has limitations in his skill set for a head coach.

How does he know Dana?

I would venture to say you were talking to Whit Babcock.

Put your name on it.
I think it was a accurate statement.

5150 is completely agenda drive against Dana, has been since Day 1 and has a deep personal dislike for the man. Anything he says should be taken under extreme suspicion.

When it comes to a conversation none of us were present for, by two anonymous parties, I wouldn't trust the accuracy of any of it.

Put your name on it.

5150 is completely agenda drive against Dana, has been since Day 1 and has a deep personal dislike for the man. Anything he says should be taken under extreme suspicion.

When it comes to a conversation none of us were present for, by two anonymous parties, I wouldn't trust the accuracy of any of it.
you must work for the athletic department

honestly this conversation took place and trust several other WVU grads were standing beside me.

you must work for the athletic department

honestly this conversation took place and trust several other WVU grads were standing beside me.

Too be fair, I think you're stretching the truth when you refer to Mike Hamrick as an AD from a major university.

I meet with nothing but the 'shiny shoes' types of the sports world. They never ask me a question with regard to Dana. But............if they ever do............son..........I will lay it on them. Dana is overpaid! If Dana drinks 40 cans of Redbull a week................he earns $2000 per can.

Last edited:

Lol thanks for the breaking news

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer

Wow. You found someone who talks shit on others while pretending to know. Congrats. Welcome to the real world.

When I meet with the 'shiny shoes' every day.................I can tell you one thang. The OP ain't there. The 'shiny shoes' won't start the meeting without ole Warez! Hail, I buy their lunch plus two or three cocktails. I write it all off on taxes.

When I meet with the 'shiny shoes' every day.................I can tell you one thang. The OP ain't there. The 'shiny shoes' won't start the meeting without ole Warez! Hail, I buy their lunch plus two or three cocktails. I write it all off on taxes.
Warez.. when was the last time a shiny shoe searched you out to speak for the entire WVU fan base? OP was not only there, but of such extreme knowledge and value, AD's stand in line to pick his brain.

Warez.. when was the last time a shiny shoe searched you out to speak for the entire WVU fan base? OP was not only there, but of such extreme knowledge and value, AD's stand in line to pick his brain.

Shipyard Dog..................you sure knows how to hurt a mans feelings. Like I said, the 'shiny shoes' won't start a meeting without ole Warez. No sireeeeeeeeeeeeee! I got millions AND billions!

No worries, this delusional fanbase will get what it deserves soon enough. Once Dana is run off and replaced with a WV incompetent good ole boy native, the program will get weekly poundings. Everyone will cry and cry again, "Why can't we win more than 1-2 games? Why can we only beat Kansas?"

Reactions: NCNEER
No worries, this delusional fanbase will get what it deserves soon enough. Once Dana is run off and replaced with a WV incompetent good ole boy native, the program will get weekly poundings. Everyone will cry and cry again, "Why can't we win more than 1-2 games? Why can we only beat Kansas?"

How is this different from having a NON-WV incompetent good ole boy?

We've got a good coach now. Reflection will reveal this once Dana is gone.

Tough call there.

Sure, WVU has been on the job training for DH and he seems to be improving... ...but just like Bobby B. it's hard to compare what would have been because of recruiting (aka BB may have never done crap at WV without that fruitful recruiting territory).

We've got a good coach now. Reflection will reveal this once Dana is gone.

His records do not support an evaluation of good in any reasonable manner. However, it is true, that reflection often puts things in perspective, it is not necessary in this case. Dana is a decent coach and is above his level of ability as his efforts support. He is a fine OC and would be a good G5 HC, but he is out of his element as a HC at the P5 level.

His best season on his own was his opening year and it was filled with extremes:

He lost to a Syracuse team that would record the WVU win as its only conference win.

He lost to a Louisville team that was 4-4 when WVU played them and they had lost to Marshall and Florida freaking International.

He lost to #2 LSU, which is no shame and then coached one game in which his skills seemed to be on display in beating Clemson.

Since that odd year, he amassed a dismal record that only once broke 500 in conference play in the Big-12. That is not a good performance in any rational judgment in the sport.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
To tell you the truth..................Dana could start growing on ole Warez. Allz he has to do is win 11 to 12 games a year. That's how to make Dana grow on WV fans. Dana taking WV to a lower tier bowl every few years ain't gonna make him grow on nary a fan. Dana has a major task..........beating Texas and Oklahoma, Baylor and the like. On the other hand, his laid back hair style, bluejeans and Redbull could grow on a mans.

Last edited:
His records do not support an evaluation of good in any reasonable manner. However, it is true, that reflection often puts things in perspective, it is not necessary in this case. Dana is a decent coach and is above his level of ability as his efforts support. He is a fine OC and would be a good G5 HC, but he is out of his element as a HC at the P5 level.

His best season on his own was his opening year and it was filled with extremes:

He lost to a Syracuse team that would record the WVU win as its only conference win.

He lost to a Louisville team that was 4-4 when WVU played them and they had lost to Marshall and Florida freaking International.

He lost to #2 LSU, which is no shame and then coached one game in which his skills seemed to be on display in beating Clemson.

Since that odd year, he amassed a dismal record that only once broke 500 in conference play in the Big-12. That is not a good performance in any rational judgment in the sport.
Still living in the past? Just like the others, bringing up losses from several years ago while ignoring the success and current progress. It's about as stupid as those yelling about Rod losing to Temple his first year while ignoring his last 3 years at WVU where he won 32 games.

Last edited:
Still living in the past? Just like the others, bringing up losses from several years ago while ignoring the success and current progress. It's about as stupid as those yelling about Rod losing to Temple his first year while ignoring his last 3 years at WVU where he won 32 games.

There is no change from the past. Last year's performance should be the worst he is allowed to do without getting the boot, not the best. You speak of those losses as though they were a decade past, they weren't and they are all part of the body of work. If there had been a conference championship in there, if WVU had had a TCU-like performance in the Big-12, few would complain, but so far WVU has been MEH at best and a door mat like Kansas and Iowa State.

I expect more and Dana can't deliver. Read that again. He can't deliver, not he hasn't delivered. He is incapable at this level of doing more than he has.

They said the same thing about Bill Belichick when he was a PR disaster as head coach of the Browns. So they sent Bill packing to the Patriots. The Browns haven't won an NFL title since 1964. Bill can beat that by a handful of NFL crowns.

So..............if WV sent Dana packing (he will pack his cash first) ................ some folks believe that he will excel at his next HC position. Well..........if the next HC job is at Texas or Oklahoma where $$$$ flows like water............then you could be right.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I feel like Dana has improved as a head coach every year. At some point I feel like everything is going to come together. Winning 8 games is successful but I would like to see him get up to the 9-10 win area but if the 7-8 win seasons continue there is definitely a debate on whether WVU needs a change or not. Also considering the fact Dana has never been a head coach before coming to WVU and only being a coordinator makes me a little more patient with him. I can see the level of talent improving and I honestly think it's at a all-time high so I want to see him here another year or two. Especially with an elite QB ready to play in 2017. I actually expect WVU to win 9-10 games this year and make a run at a Big12 Championship in 2017. I believe that is realistic.

I and every single person intered in the WVU program has the right to decide. I say he is incompetent at this level. You say something else and that is your right.
You have the right to believe whatever you desire. I draw the line at your vocalizing it and thus inciting others to propagate the discontent based, greatly, on your amateur opinion.

There is no change from the past. Last year's performance should be the worst he is allowed to do without getting the boot, not the best. You speak of those losses as though they were a decade past, they weren't and they are all part of the body of work. If there had been a conference championship in there, if WVU had had a TCU-like performance in the Big-12, few would complain, but so far WVU has been MEH at best and a door mat like Kansas and Iowa State.

I expect more and Dana can't deliver. Read that again. He can't deliver, not he hasn't delivered. He is incapable at this level of doing more than he has.
You pontificate as if you were a card carrying expert, which I have serious doubts you are. Thus, one may be best served by ignoring what you spree and assign it all to just another self impressed 'blow hard'.

You have the right to believe whatever you desire. I draw the line at your vocalizing it and thus inciting others to propagate the discontent based, greatly, on your amateur opinion.

My opinion is as valid as yours, no more, no less. You may dislike my point of view and that is your choice. You can even tell me you don't like my point of view and that too is your choice. You however cannot tell me not voice my point of view, that is my choice.

Of course all of these choices are possible here because Vernon permits them or does not and that is his choice. If he wants me to stop, I will, but it wont be you that stops me.

As we all know, you don't set the expectations for Dana's performance and meeting those imaginary expectations isn't part of his duties.

Can we get back to the important point: Can Dana bring WVU football to the level that it experienced under Rich Rodriguez and, to a lesser extent, under Don Nehlen (7-4 season average for 21 years but 2 unbeaten regular seasons)?

THAT is the only thing that matters. How whether Joe Blow's opinion is more valide than John Blowhard.

The 2016 season will go a long way toward answering that question. If WVU is #2 in the Big 12, as one "expert" predicted (in a magazine that's #2 in accuracy among the national magazines), we'll all be ding-donging and burning coaches. If WVU has another 4-8 patch, or anything near it, then we'll all be bringing out the tar and feathers and hanging effigy, which apparently didn't die with Bobby Bowden.

That's why I can't wait for the season to begin. By Dec. 4, we'll all be "experts" on WVU.

My opinion is as valid as yours, no more, no less. You may dislike my point of view and that is your choice. You can even tell me you don't like my point of view and that too is your choice. You however cannot tell me not voice my point of view, that is my choice.

Of course all of these choices are possible here because Vernon permits them or does not and that is his choice. If he wants me to stop, I will, but it wont be you that stops me.

Yes, your anonymous opinion which carries no authority or consequence is as valid as another's anonymous opinion which also carries no authority or consequence.

So for the purpose of the scenario you provided, yes, your opinion is as valid as his but only because you established a low standard for validity.

If we applied a proper standard for validity, your opinions would most likely not meet the definition of a valid opinion.

So, because I feel your opinions are based more in emotion than logic, and that the premises are not well jointly asserted, their subsequent conclusions could be contradicted and denied. Therefore, they cannot be valid.

So we are merely left with the conclusion that you have an opinion, which is something that could have been left unsaid.

But hey, carnival barking and slamming your shoe on the table to draw attention to the fact you have an opinion works too, I suppose.

Can we get back to the important point: Can Dana bring WVU football to the level that it experienced under Rich Rodriguez and, to a lesser extent, under Don Nehlen (7-4 season average for 21 years but 2 unbeaten regular seasons)?

THAT is the only thing that matters. How whether Joe Blow's opinion is more valide than John Blowhard.

The 2016 season will go a long way toward answering that question. If WVU is #2 in the Big 12, as one "expert" predicted (in a magazine that's #2 in accuracy among the national magazines), we'll all be ding-donging and burning coaches. If WVU has another 4-8 patch, or anything near it, then we'll all be bringing out the tar and feathers and hanging effigy, which apparently didn't die with Bobby Bowden.

That's why I can't wait for the season to begin. By Dec. 4, we'll all be "experts" on WVU.

I think Dana has as good as chance as any other coach that we'd hire to replace him.

Reactions: NCNEER
Yes, your anonymous opinion which carries no authority or consequence is as valid as another's anonymous opinion which also carries no authority or consequence.

So for the purpose of the scenario you provided, yes, your opinion is as valid as his but only because you established a low standard for validity.

If we applied a proper standard for validity, your opinions would most likely not meet the definition of a valid opinion.

So, because I feel your opinions are based more in emotion than logic, and that the premises are not well jointly asserted, their subsequent conclusions could be contradicted and denied. Therefore, they cannot be valid.

So we are merely left with the conclusion that you have an opinion, which is something that could have been left unsaid.

But hey, carnival barking and slamming your shoe on the table to draw attention to the fact you have an opinion works too, I suppose.

You could have saved yourself the 5 minutes of typing and just replied with, "Ditto."

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
You pontificate as if you were a card carrying expert, which I have serious doubts you are. Thus, one may be best served by ignoring what you spree and assign it all to just another self impressed 'blow hard'.

I once met Gold Card Bill, he ain't no Gold Card Bill, and he's sure not Paul The Prophet. God knows he's no Stormin' Norman. All card carrying football experts.

Anyone know what happened to Stormin' Norman? We once got on a chartered bus south of St. Augustine together to go to the Gator Bowl and the bus driver got lost. Circled Jacksonville for over two hours before he could find the Gator Bowl, then the drunks on board rioted when they saw the field, forcing their way off the bus and braving eight lanes of traffic. I haven't seen Norman since, but I have heard him on the radio a couple of times over the years. The way it rained that night I thought he might have been washed out to sea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT