ADVERTISEMENT

Sort of OT: Am I the only one .....

3xWVUenginEER

All-Conference
Dec 7, 2005
Am I the only one who is looking at what's going on at Maryland and thinking the media is tarring and feathering one head coach when it could be a huge over reaction? The HC wasn't there in May when this young man collapsed that lead to his death 14 days later. Is it not the trainers job to care for athletes and be there during conditioning and step in and say "we've checked his pulse, got to get this guy out, & Got to get him in the ice tub! Call 911 immediately!"

Look I got no love for Maryland as anyone who knows me knows I consider them WVUs most hated rival over everyone, but this is a witch hunt reminding me of Duke Lacrosse. One reporter started a mess that nearly ruined 3 innocent people's lives.

Again I know a young man died and it should have been prevented, but only one side of the story is being told. You have one espn article using a few unnamed sources to label a place as a "bad abusive culture" from the HC down.

How many sources (players) would just say the 'coaches coach us hard and is very intense?' I think its perspective and every program in the country can find a few out of 100 on a roster who will say this coach is abusive. There's always someone not happy in any Field in a group.

I've been to practices in football, basketball, and even women's basketball over multiple coaches in each sport at WVU over 20+ years. About every practice I've ever been to would have an NC 17 rating in terms of some of the language from either the HC to the assistants. It's not a church service. The spring practice or the media video'd version they let everyone see is a show.

Right Now I'm watching "Training Days: Rolling with the Tide" and Nick Saban nor his staff are this G to PG rated version that's on ESPNU. Mike Locksley the current OC at Bama got fired in part for reported abuse at New Mexico. This show is an infomercial.

Bob Huggins loves his players but he yells, cusses, and screams at them during games in public like a mad man. If one of his players was to suffer a heart attack/condition and die during a S&C session, would the media call for his job? I mean they're setting a precedent at Maryland right now.

Maybe I'm wording it wrong but I am just looking at what's happening but it seems like the media is saying, 'we can't get OSU to fire Urb, but we can get what's his name out at Maryland!'.

I think there better be concrete proof before a mans reputation and career is destroyed.

The back story of Maryland

When Maryland left the ACC the agreement to join the B1G included only half revenue for the first three years

In stepped Kevin Plank UA CEO and Maryland grad to keep them afloat.

The problem is he runs Maryland and DJ Durkin has not lived up to expectations.

Maryland is a very prideful program and their fans are jumping ship because they would rather be in the ACC.

This entire move was to fire Durkin and not have to pay him a buyout.

For what it's worth to your over-all argument, according to a summary of events released by University of Maryland on July 12, Durkin was present at the workout.

Is that an NCAA violation for any HC to be at a S&C workout?

Idk. I just think if a HC can be fired for the lack of action of the trainers to do their job, then the System is out of balance. I bet if he was winning the B1G east and 10 wins a season then the results of the internal findings would be different.

Is that an NCAA violation for any HC to be at a S&C workout?

Idk. I just think if a HC can be fired for the lack of action of the trainers to do their job, then the System is out of balance. I bet if he was winning the B1G east and 10 wins a season then the results of the internal findings would be different.

Don't remember every single player who passed away while playing football but the last one was at UC Berkeley probably cost Sonny Dykes his job.

They didn't fire him until two years later but if you remember they used the excuse of him interviewing with Baylor to fire him.

The only other one was at Northwestern in 99 or 2000?
I think it was after Gary Barnett left for CU.
But the coach lasted until 2005.
If I remember right there was a health issue with the student athlete.

None of them turned out like this.
Truthfully the family in the one at Cal sued the university as well.

ADVERTISEMENT