ADVERTISEMENT

Something I’ve been pondering on mass shootings

DvlDog4WVU

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
There are obviously a lot of variables that go into the uptick we’ve seen in mass shootings. Everyone focuses on AWs and I can understand that. Drugs, quality of life, mental disorders, etc.

Is it possible that we’ve focused as a society on protecting children too much? What I mean by that, we try to insulate them from adversity and increase stress for performance in academic areas. From a social development standpoint though, we’ve tried to shield them in a Barney generational sense. What if this is contributing? I mean, what if kids aren’t developing natural coping mechanisms at a younger age and when hit with that “it” moment, they revert back to a base instinct that they haven’t learned through the normal childhood experiences like we grew up with? We’ve conditioned them wrong perhaps.

Just something I was thinking.

There are obviously a lot of variables that go into the uptick we’ve seen in mass shootings. Everyone focuses on AWs and I can understand that. Drugs, quality of life, mental disorders, etc.

Is it possible that we’ve focused as a society on protecting children too much? What I mean by that, we try to insulate them from adversity and increase stress for performance in academic areas. From a social development standpoint though, we’ve tried to shield them in a Barney generational sense. What if this is contributing? I mean, what if kids aren’t developing natural coping mechanisms at a younger age and when hit with that “it” moment, they revert back to a base instinct that they haven’t learned through the normal childhood experiences like we grew up with? We’ve conditioned them wrong perhaps.

I doubt this cat was too coddled. But a legitimate thought. Learning to cope is a key element of development. However, coping doesn’t just mean learning to toughen oneself as to not feel the hurt, or condition the mind to not care. It’s learning to process the negatives. And each person processes things differently.

I think that's a factor in some of these. I don't think it explains the Vegas shooter. I'm not sure it explains this Florida kid either. He had plenty of adversity in his life, or it seems like he did anyway. I think he was just a nut.

Reactions: EEResistable
There’s a social media sense of self that is at the heart here, imo. A digital “high school” like environment that people can’t seem to grow out of. What makes people lie on discussion boards? Shallow and broad connections have replaced the deep and meaningful connections of brotherhood, friendship and even romantic partnership in many cases.

How vital is the brotherhood between soldiers, as you have to face the horrors of war? How deep are those connections?

There’s a social media sense of self that is at the heart here, imo. A digital “high school” like environment that people can’t seem to grow out of. What makes people lie on discussion boards? Shallow and broad connections have replaced the deep and meaningful connections of brotherhood, friendship and even romantic partnership in many cases.

How vital is the brotherhood between soldiers, as you have to face the horrors of war? How deep are those connections?
Are you saying you want to play tummy sticks with me?

Reactions: Boomboom521
I doubt this cat was too coddled. But a legitimate thought. Learning to cope is a key element of development. However, coping doesn’t just mean learning to toughen oneself as to not feel the hurt, or condition the mind to not care. It’s learning to process the negatives. And each person processes things differently.
Oh, I don’t think it’s about conditioning against not being able to feel hurt. I was absolutely talking about the ability to cope on a mature scale. I think you got the jist of where I was going, seems like you did anyway and I wasn’t necessarily talking about any one instance.

Extreme 24/7 media coverage and our cultural reliance upon social media are a contributing factor.

It's way too easy to obtain information (good and bad) and instant feedback (good and bad) in today's world.

Oh, I don’t think it’s about conditioning against not being able to feel hurt. I was absolutely talking about the ability to cope on a mature scale. I think you got the jist of where I was going, seems like you did anyway and I wasn’t necessarily talking about any one instance.
Im just sayin....Barney hugs are good for you too. Balance is crucial.

Had a nephew who is a member of the WVa Nat Guard tell me about some members of the guard who have developed PTSD, yet have never been in combat. They were diagnosed after basic training. Today's youth aren't being prepared to leave their parent's home...

Reactions: Snow Sled Baby

You are not the only one thinking that. Below is a link to an article from a year or two ago in The Atlantic. A book version of this is coming out this summer. Lots of people agree with the thesis, including some mental health professionals. I've seen/read a lot of Jon Haidt (a co-author of this article) and he is really good at explaining how people of different political persuasions view things. Check out some audio or video of his. I like getting interesting audio, like Haidt, on the computer and then just turning it up and having it play while I'm doing stuff around the house. Way better than most TV these days.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

There’s a social media sense of self that is at the heart here, imo. A digital “high school” like environment that people can’t seem to grow out of.
I actually agree with. I've always blamed this madness as a society problem, one that was caused by advancements in technology. Communication skills are pretty much lost on the younger generations. Look at this forum. How often do all of us misinterpret a post from one another? How often do you see posters actually threatening one another on these forums? Does anybody think we would act that way to one another if we were out bullshitting at a bar or tailgate party?

You are not the only one thinking that. Below is a link to an article from a year or two ago in The Atlantic. A book version of this is coming out this summer. Lots of people agree with the thesis, including some mental health professionals. I've seen/read a lot of Jon Haidt (a co-author of this article) and he is really good at explaining how people of different political persuasions view things. Check out some audio or video of his. I like getting interesting audio, like Haidt, on the computer and then just turning it up and having it play while I'm doing stuff around the house. Way better than most TV these days.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/
Really good article

I believe that a parents main job is to make their kids self sufficient at age 18 , now that includes mental acceptance to failers, heartbreak & financial setbacks ....

I'd buy into this more if the shooters were only teenagers, but they aren't. We have seen mass shooters cover a huge range of ages, socioeconomic status, ethnicics, and motivation. The only common denominator is their ability to easily acquire this type of firepower.

We can do a lot of things to increase security, but shot of turning schools into prisons, we can't stop someone who is willing to give up their life from causing a lot of damage. We dont have to take these weapins away, but we do need to get a handle on who is able to get them and how easy it is for them to posses them when there are clear red flags.

and you will notice that the only liberal who will comment on this is Boom, who I disagree with a lot but respect his views, as they are well founded and well stated. He obviously has done his research, unlike his fellow libs (and we know who they are) who watch 10 minutes of cnn or the obama news network and then go to trashing Trump,conservatives, and America in general

I'd buy into this more if the shooters were only teenagers, but they aren't. We have seen mass shooters cover a huge range of ages, socioeconomic status, ethnicics, and motivation. The only common denominator is their ability to easily acquire this type of firepower.

We can do a lot of things to increase security, but shot of turning schools into prisons, we can't stop someone who is willing to give up their life from causing a lot of damage. We dont have to take these weapins away, but we do need to get a handle on who is able to get them and how easy it is for them to posses them when there are clear red flags.
I think mostly 15-34 year olds

1) AW's and bans on them.... the low hanging fruit that requires no logical approach to the problem and ultimately would accomplish nothing.
2) We do coddle the fook out of our kids these days. Participation trophies, can't give Johnny a bad grade, everyone's feelings matter, etc.
3) We do HAVE to properly secure all educational facilities from the Pre-K to High School level. Something that WOULD accomplish something.

It was interesting last night hearing my 14 year old and 12 year old discuss the issue from their perspective. They don't give their "safety" much thought, but they realize how soft a target their schools are. They don't want some of their teachers to ever carry a gun, but recognize that they have some teachers who are more than capable, and they would trust, to carry a firearm in school. Just as they think I should be able to carry in the school when I come to pick them up or attend one of their functions.

I'll tell you my thoughts on why so many kids are turning to violence:

1. Social media
2. Smart phone addiction
3. School pressure - public schools are forced to give test after test to these kids at an early age; my youngest daughter when she was in the 1st grade was taking tests 2-3 times a week on the computer to tell the superintendent and state how "well" she was doing; she was only 6 years old and coming home stressed the F**K out because she dropped 5 points on that test and was told she may need to go to the "remedial" part of the classroom if she doesn't do better next time! (by the way, she was at the top of her class)

1. Social media
2. Smart phone addiction
3. School pressure - public schools are forced to give test after test to these kids at an early age; my youngest daughter when she was in the 1st grade was taking tests 2-3 times a week on the computer to tell the superintendent and state how "well" she was doing; she was only 6 years old and coming home stressed the F**K out because she dropped 5 points on that test and was told she may need to go to the "remedial" part of the classroom if she doesn't do better next time! (by the way, she was at the top of her class)
[thumb2]

1. Social media
2. Smart phone addiction

Kids these days are exposed to way more than we ever were, and the standardized testing is insane.

1) AW's and bans on them.... the low hanging fruit that requires no logical approach to the problem and ultimately would accomplish nothing.
2) We do coddle the fook out of our kids these days. Participation trophies, can't give Johnny a bad grade, everyone's feelings matter, etc.
3) We do HAVE to properly secure all educational facilities from the Pre-K to High School level. Something that WOULD accomplish something.

It was interesting last night hearing my 14 year old and 12 year old discuss the issue from their perspective. They don't give their "safety" much thought, but they realize how soft a target their schools are. They don't want some of their teachers to ever carry a gun, but recognize that they have some teachers who are more than capable, and they would trust, to carry a firearm in school. Just as they think I should be able to carry in the school when I come to pick them up or attend one of their functions.
Shiiiiit, I give bad grades all the time....I usually write a nasty little comment too

Pffft, that's nothing. You should see my wife when our kids don't do their best. That's pressure.
No chit...after baseball practice, I have a hard time getting a word in because she's giving it to him if he's not hustling.

I absolutely agree. Had the same discussion at work. We have raised a whole generation of kids that don't know what it is like to play stickball in the street, spend a day in the woods, hang out at the local playground/pool/courts. When they are allowed to participate in anything, the activities are completely structured. They spend their free time on their ipad, phone, or playing video games. They don't know how to interact with people. I grew up in the 70's and that was still an era where I left the house in the morning and returned at 5:30 for dinner. Left again and returned when the street lights came on. Crap we fought, shot at each with BB guns, had apple and snowball fights, raced bicycles without helmets, caught crayfish, wore shoes out playing basketball all day.......nobody hurt anybody badly.

It isn't the gun that is the root cause.

Reactions: Fingon
I absolutely agree. Had the same discussion at work. We have raised a whole generation of kids that don't know what it is like to play stickball in the street, spend a day in the woods, hang out at the local playground/pool/courts. When they are allowed to participate in anything, the activities are completely structured. They spend their free time on their ipad, phone, or playing video games. They don't know how to interact with people. I grew up in the 70's and that was still an era where I left the house in the morning and returned at 5:30 for dinner. Left again and returned when the street lights came on. Crap we fought, shot at each with BB guns, had apple and snowball fights, raced bicycles without helmets, caught crayfish, wore shoes out playing basketball all day.......nobody hurt anybody badly.

It isn't the gun that is the root cause.

We took newspapers, rolled them up tight, duck taped them, and turned them into swords, or bruise makers.

We took newspapers, rolled them up tight, duck taped them, and turned them into swords, or bruise makers.
We just used pipes, small logs and those small baseball bats they give away at games.

I was young during BMX Bandits and the movie RAD. So most of my youth was spent jumping my bike off everything we could.

We just used pipes, small logs and those small baseball bats they give away at games.

I was young during BMX Bandits and the movie RAD. So most of my youth was spent jumping my bike off everything we could.

LOL.... I remember BMX Bandits, when we were first introduced to Nicole Kidman.

We were big into Excalibur, hence the newspaper swords.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT