ADVERTISEMENT

So Nike....

In August 2018, Nike stock hit an all-time best of 83.95/share

It sits, today, at 83.36 and rising

tell me again how this campaign is "damaging"

Based on your liberal beliefs, your balls were already taken, Tranny. Still no proof Obama is responsible for this current economic boom. And no proof showing police brutality. Typical libtard.

The previous administration rebuilt this country's economy off the back of the 2nd largest economic crisis the USA has experienced, establishing a strong foundation and rising market for a typical "deregulator" to feast upon.

What Trump is doing, any republican could be doing........... hell, Hillary would be doing most of it, aside from the environmental stuff and the trade war ego-boosting crap.

The market is great right now because companies are feasting.............. huge corporate tax cuts....

but.

why haven't wages increased even though inflation has?

Now, I get that I just dropped a Econ 201 level question on you, and I don't really expect an intelligent answer.......... but maybe you can lean over and copy off a neighbor

Reactions: countryroads89
The previous administration rebuilt this country's economy off the back of the 2nd largest economic crisis the USA has experienced, establishing a strong foundation and rising market for a typical "deregulator" to feast upon.

What Trump is doing, any republican could be doing........... hell, Hillary would be doing most of it, aside from the environmental stuff and the trade war ego-boosting crap.

The market is great right now because companies are feasting.............. huge corporate tax cuts....

but.

why haven't wages increased even though inflation has?

Now, I get that I just dropped a Econ 201 level question on you, and I don't really expect an intelligent answer.......... but maybe you can lean over and copy off a neighbor

Wage gains are about an equal match to inflation right now. About 2.9/2.7.

It's not just in the US. The same is happening in Europe, and other economies.

My opinion is that with the boomers heavily entering retirement, their higher paid positions are being filled with with younger workers but at a lesser salary which distorts the wage outlook.

If everyone would ignore Nike for doing what they do. Then free publicity would be gone. Nobody is to blame except those that are taking interest in this negative or positive view. Either way Nike is winning. Ignore it and the stocks don't rise.

In August 2018, Nike stock hit an all-time best of 83.95/share

It sits, today, at 83.36 and rising

tell me again how this campaign is "damaging"

I wouldn't use the current stock price as an indicator, either positive or negative. Nothing has had time to flow to the customers yet. Their quarterly sales numbers will be the first important indicator, but it will need to be measured over a longer period of time. If sales flatten over a sustained period while competitors make their projections, then you'll start seeing enough data to determine if their brand has been damaged or not.

Also, as this bakes the attitude of stakeholders will be interesting. If you begin reading stories on internal conflicts and departures, or unease - that will be important.

I completely agree, but when the Pumpkin King's battle cry is always "LOL look at their stock!" then you have to use it against his followers too.... as flawed as it is.

But his little cult members eat up his lies and ask for 2nds.......... like today's lil lie that his minions would never actually take 2 minutes to check:

"The GDP Rate (4.2%) is higher than the Unemployment Rate (3.9%) for the first time in over 100 years!"

it last happened in 2006. It's happened over 60 times in those same 100 years where it's "never" happened before.

It is just flat out incredible how much this guy can bold faced lie to his followers over and over and over again............. and they just eat it up like a brainless gold fish.

Last edited:
it's not shocking you don't understand the connection.

Thats cool. I understand what you think the connection is, I just dont really agree with the left on many issues in general. A lot of people are going to look at reality and the basic facts about the Colin Kapernick situation and think what Trump is saying already without him saying it. They just dont have as big of mic. Trump does a good job of knowing how the average Trump supporters feel on many issues. He just says it out loud. Not many people can withstand the gaslighting like Trump can and some people really dig that about him I reckon. Nike has a right to make an ad about a dude who's better off now than he was as a football player, and paint him as a hero who gave up everything. People have a right to think thats retarded and boycott Nike. It really doesnt matter to me. I dont vote or wear Nike. :victory:

a blind dog could have produced the tax cut that Trump gave Americans with the way the previous administration built back up the economy's stable foundation.................. you and many, many others chose to vote for Trump because you were promised "THE BIGGEST TAX CUTS EVER"

and you got, on average, about 35 extra bucks on your paycheck if you live in WV (median WV salary is basis).

you voted for a feast and are celebrating free day-old cookies from a gas station.
You don’t know who I voted for. You jumping to conclusion explains most of your posts in this thread. You judge yourself circumspect and other reactionary because they see things differently than you. Such myopia is the basis of all prejudice.

Evidently the previous administration didn’t have the foresight of a blind dog. But I am thankful for some tax cut rather than the alternative—a tax increase.

No you don’t and I haven’t commented on politics much for quite some time.

Doubling down on error doesn’t make you right. It means your obtuse.

the fact that you even made this thread back in 2016 tells me all I really needed

https://247sports.com/college/west-virginia/Board/103782/Contents/CLINTON-5-71580193/

In fact, you've proven yourself time and again to just be flat out willing to believe anything as long as it's far right and "confirms" your pre-existing biases:

https://247sports.com/college/west-virginia/Board/103782/Contents/George-Soros-71901388/

https://247sports.com/college/west-virginia/Board/103782/Contents/Obama-71526944/

https://247sports.com/college/west-virginia/Board/103782/Contents/The-9th-Circuit-Court-72363537/

https://247sports.com/college/west-...s/Where-is-Bammys-birth-certificate-70565911/

"impeach"............... you kept using that word, but I'm not sure you ever really knew what it meant (until now of course)

I completely agree, but when the Pumpkin King's battle cry is always "LOL look at their stock!" then you have to use it against his followers too.... as flawed as it is.

But his little cult members eat up his lies and ask for 2nds.......... like today's lil lie that his minions would never actually take 2 minutes to check:

"The GDP Rate (4.2%) is higher than the Unemployment Rate (3.9%) for the first time in over 100 years!"

it last happened in 2006. It's happened over 60 times in those same 100 years where it's "never" happened before.

Fair enough.

But this is exactly why I don't want companies, especially ones I'm invested in, getting involved in politics. If a company makes a political message, it will receive a political response.

As a shareholder, I don't appreciate a company creating unnecessary risk and turbulence. While this may have no long term effect, it goes without saying that prior to this campaign NO ONE was boycotting Nike or burning their shoes. So while this might just end up in a wash, it was completely unneeded.

As a customer, I don't appreciate a company putting their effort into political messages or social causes and not their actual products or customer service, which are the only things I really care about.

Like most consumers, I put my dollars behind the best value. I have very little brand loyalty. Over the weekend I had to take my son shopping for new sneakers for one of the sports he is involved with. Generally speaking, most of the shoes we looked at provided similar value but because I was annoyed with Nike I purchased a pair of Adidas. A drop in the bucket, but drops in the bucket are what sales are made of.

EDIT: I also find it odd that Nike is willing to put themselves on the wrong side of the NFL. I probably find this most shaky and peculiar. I've read the demographic Nike is target, and I just don't see how the risk is worth it.

how do you get people wearing good Nike gear to buy more Nike gear?

trick them into burning their Nike gear and then regretting it....

how do you get people wearing good Nike gear to buy more Nike gear?

trick them into burning their Nike gear and then regretting it....

Why would they regret it or replace it with Nike clothing?

In terms of quality, there isn't much difference anymore. Which is one of the reasons Under Armor is hurting. Other companies have replicated their product at a lower price.

Why would they regret it or replace it with Nike clothing?

In terms of quality, there isn't much difference anymore. Which is one of the reasons Under Armor is hurting. Other companies have replicated their product at a lower price.

because the teams they support are Nike programs.......... like WVU.

Nike is a global brand, outside of the US Kaepernick is either a non story or if someone looks it up, they support Kaepernick. Here in the US youth and minorities support Kaepernick, the older generation and whites do not support Kaepernick. Nike's bread and butter is basketball sneakers which are supported by, you guessed it, youth and minorities. Not hard to get why they went with the polarizing Kaepernick, the people bashing Nike have minimal retail buying power anyway for their products.

Nike is a global brand, outside of the US Kaepernick is either a non story or if someone looks it up, they support Kaepernick. Here in the US youth and minorities support Kaepernick, the older generation and whites do not support Kaepernick. Nike's bread and butter is basketball sneakers which are supported by, you guessed it, youth and minorities. Not hard to get why they went with the polarizing Kaepernick, the people bashing Nike have minimal retail buying power anyway for their products.

Youth don't have any buying power. They have some buying influence.

Besides, it goes without saying that you can target a certain demographic of consumers without alienating other consumers, or some of your most powerful business partners. This isn't like what they did with Charles Barkely, who was merely edgy and disliked by some parents.

Last edited:
Youth don't have any buying power. They have some buying influence.

Depends what you define "youth" as. People in their 20s have disposable income, the lack of overhead opens up the floodgates for things like $199 Nikes. But yes, kids in High School and younger have no money.

Depends what you define "youth" as. People in their 20s have disposable income, the lack of overhead opens up the floodgates for things like $199 Nikes. But yes, kids in High School and younger have no money.

I'm not sure anyone considers people in their 20's to be youths. I don't think it is possible to define people that old to be youths.

If you have a lack of overhead in your 20's, it's because you don't own shit which usually comes from a lack of income, but I have no doubt the same folks squating in their parents basement probably blow their money on $199 sneakers, and probably do support CK.

I'm not sure anyone considers people in their 20's to be youths. I don't think it is possible to define people that old to be youths.

If you have a lack of overhead in your 20's, it's because you don't own shit which usually comes from a lack of income, but I have no doubt the same folks squating in their parents basement probably blow their money on $199 sneakers, and probably do support CK.
lol, well keep thinking that demographic in their parents basement are responsible for Nikes surge, who cares.

A bit over 50% of Nike revenue comes from international markets. I really have no clue how much play CK gets outside of the US but if Nike is hoping to capitalize off of anti-American sentiment, I personally fine that distasteful.

Sneakers accounted for 61% of the revenue (not just basketball shoes). Footwear also happens to be a low margin product, but I assume there's a small difference to produce a $199 shoe compared to a $85 shoe, so their margins on the high end product are probably stronger.

lol, well keep thinking that demographic in their parents basement are responsible for Nikes surge, who cares.

I believe I read they were targeting 15-25 year old males. A large percentage of that is without a doubt living at home and not independent consumers with incomes.

I would also add that males, age 15-25 are probably the dumbest subset of any demographic in our country.

A bit over 50% of Nike revenue comes from international markets. I really have no clue how much play CK gets outside of the US but if Nike is hoping to capitalize off of anti-American sentiment, I personally fine that distasteful.

Sneakers accounted for 61% of the revenue (not just basketball shoes). Footwear also happens to be a low margin product, but I assume there's a small difference to produce a $199 shoe compared to a $85 shoe, so their margins on the high end product are probably stronger.

Its not anti American sentiment to really anyone other than the American right. Right wrong or indifferent the protest is about blue on black perceived brutality, I know "more whites die at hands of police officers" and all of the other stats you will throw to dispute the notion, but unless you are black and from a bad neighborhood then you trying to grandstand how Kaepernick or anyone else should feel about a racially charged topic is just typical white ignorance. It was never about the military and the flag, but people need to justify their outrage so they are under the guise of being a flag waving American while they try to tear down the black man's protest. Outside of the US, the American right is despised so not surprised outside of the US they would side with Kaepernick when the American right is clearly trying to spin it into something its not.

As for the shoe stats, again shoes are the bread and butter (61%), of that 61% I would guess basketball shoes are top widget in that category. As for Nike, they are doing what they think is best for the company, the side of the argument they are on is the one that helps the bottom line, if their target audience were primarily Trump supporters I would think a different ad would have run, so not sure why everyone is pissing on Nike, there is a decent chance the leadership at Nike voted Trump.

Its not anti American sentiment to really anyone other than the American right. Right wrong or indifferent the protest is about blue on black perceived brutality, I know "more whites die at hands of police officers" and all of the other stats you will throw to dispute the notion, but unless you are black and from a bad neighborhood then you trying to grandstand how Kaepernick or anyone else should feel about a racially charged topic is just typical white ignorance. It was never about the military and the flag, but people need to justify their outrage so they are under the guise of being a flag waving American while they try to tear down the black man's protest. Outside of the US, the American right is despised so not surprised outside of the US they would side with Kaepernick when the American right is clearly trying to spin it into something its not.

As for the shoe stats, again shoes are the bread and butter (61%), of that 61% I would guess basketball shoes are top widget in that category. As for Nike, they are doing what they think is best for the company, the side of the argument they are on is the one that helps the bottom line, if their target audience were primarily Trump supporters I would think a different ad would have run, so not sure why everyone is pissing on Nike, there is a decent chance the leadership at Nike voted Trump.

That's just your opinion and viewed from the lens of your personal politics, and I really don't give a crap about your beliefs or anyone elses. Which is exactly the problem, none of this has to do with shoes. It's just Nike making a political statement. It might work this time, but next time it could blow up in their face, and frankly, their political beliefs will shift along with the dollars of their customers, so forgive me for not fawning over their shock-jock tactics and beliefs that run as deep as a drainage ditch. This is a company that uses low paid sweatshop labor, so their moral compass isn't exactly centered on what matters.

Lets not pretend their appetite injustice goes any further than the ones they feel they can successfully monetize, OK?

If you want to lap it up, be my guest but I think it's very dangerous for any business to say, "We make products just for Democrats", or "We make products just for Republicans".

Regarding your "white ignorance" claim, you can go play in traffic. Get lost with your stupid bullshit. I've actually kept my comments focused on Nike, it's sales, stock and future outlook. I'm not here being an activist on the matter so save it for someone else.

Last edited:
That's just your opinion and viewed from the lens of your personal politics, and I really don't give a crap about your beliefs or anyone elses. Which is exactly the problem, none of this has to do with shoes. It's just Nike making a political statement. It might work this time, but next time it could blow up in their face, and frankly, their political beliefs will shift along with the dollars of their customers, so forgive me for not fawning over their shock-jock tactics.

If you want to lap it up, be my guest but I think it's very dangerous for any business to say, "We make products just for Democrats", or "We make products just for Republicans".

Regarding your "white ignorance" claim, you can go play in traffic. Get lost with your stupid bullshit. I've actually kept my comments focused on Nike, it's sales, stock and future outlook. I'm not hear being an activist on the matter so save it for someone else.

It’s not my opinion, it’s literally what has been stated ad nauseam by the protestors. Please link me to a kneeler who has come out and said in some way “yup, it’s about the military, eff those guys”. The protest is about police brutality on blacks, end of story. You can argue all you want as to whether or not their position is justified, but don’t tell me that the protest is about something open ended that is a slight at the military, because it’s not. The right are using the anti military BS as a straw man argument to fit their own agenda.

As for you, the right wing rhetoric oozes from your posts so I’m not going to pretend your being neutral on the topic, you obviously are anti Kaepernick, which is fine, just don’t pretend like it’s all about the sales, stock, and future outlook. You’re pissed Nike chose to give Kaepernick more of a voice and by extension side with Kaepernick on this issue. So shut it with BS grandstanding and own your position. People who are only concerned about the “stock” don’t tell people to play in traffic over a hot button issue.

It’s not my opinion, it’s literally what has been stated ad nauseam by the protestors. Please link me to a kneeler who has come out and said in some way “yup, it’s about the military, eff those guys”. The protest is about police brutality on blacks, end of story. You can argue all you want as to whether or not their position is justified, but don’t tell me that the protest is about something open ended that is a slight at the military, because it’s not. The right are using the anti military BS as a straw man argument to fit their own agenda.

As for you, the right wing rhetoric oozes from your posts so I’m not going to pretend your being neutral on the topic, you obviously are anti Kaepernick, which is fine, just don’t pretend like it’s all about the sales, stock, and future outlook. You’re pissed Nike chose to give Kaepernick more of a voice and by extension side with Kaepernick on this issue. So shut it with BS grandstanding and own your position. People who are only concerned about the “stock” don’t tell people to play in traffic over a hot button issue.

I don't give a shit what it is about. I don't care, and I'm not a sucker who believes everything he is told.

You accused me of White Ignorance, that's why I told you to shove it. You can't have a discussion on facts, so you get in the gutter with that crap.

This is precisely why I think this is a poor idea for Nike. Because now they have customers, being outright activist and attacking other customers. I'm not a soldier for a brand. If you want to spew a bunch of hate because Nike gave you some marching orders, be my guest. Personally, I think it's a wrong strategy for a business and folks like you will probably tarnish their brand worse than CK. There is no reason any business needs to radicalize their consumer base and turn them into soldiers who intimidate other consumers.

I'm a consumer who purchases shoes, and an investor who holds shares. I am allowed to have an opinion and no matter how loud you shout, that won't change.

Last edited:

What right wing rhetoric oozed out of me? You are a fanatic and hysterical.

I don't give a shit what it is about. I don't care, and I'm not a sucker who believes everything he is told.

You accused me of White Ignorance, that's why I told you to shove it. You can't have a discussion on facts, so you get in the gutter with that crap.

This is precisely why I think this is a poor idea for Nike. Because now they have customers, being outright activist and attacking other customers. I'm not a soldier for a brand. If you want to spew a bunch of hate because Nike gave you some marching orders, be my guest. Personally, I think it's a wrong strategy for a business and folks like you will probably tarnish their brand worse than CK. There is no reason any business needs to radicalize their consumer base and turn them into soldiers who intimidate other consumers.

I'm a consumer who purchases shoes, and an investor who holds shares. I am allowed to have an opinion and no matter how loud you shout, that won't change.

Calm down, man. Eat a Snickers.

Right wrong or indifferent the protest is about blue on black perceived brutality.

That's just your opinion and viewed from the lens of your personal politics

WVU2010x just pointed out what the protest was about and he was correct.

And then you replied with "that's your opinion."

Well, no, it's not his opinion. That is what the protest is about.

Reactions: Phil and xWVU2010x
Calm down, man. Eat a Snickers.

WVU2010x just pointed out what the protest was about and he was correct.

And then you replied with "that's your opinion."

Well, no, it's not his opinion. That is what the protest is about.

No, that's what they told you it is about. That is gift wrapping.

The truth is any political agenda is more complicated than it's marketing and packaging.

Just like this really isn't about Nike praising CK for sacrifice.

I think a lot of people are bothered with the ad itself, since is basically a total lie. Dude makes more money for less work since he left football. That doesnt equal losing everything lol. Also, the Broncos offered him a contract, and the Ravens had the contract written up and threw it away when his nasty girlfriend made a very racist tweet directed at Ray Lewis. He gave up football by choice, with a little to a lot of help from his girlfriend. It doesnt really matter what Nike think about police brutality. They made an ad that is a complete lie and tried to make it look heroic. Sooooooooo stupid lol.

I think a lot of people are bothered with the ad itself, since is basically a total lie. Dude makes more money for less work since he left football. That doesnt equal losing everything lol. Also, the Broncos offered him a contract, and the Ravens had the contract written up and threw it away when his nasty girlfriend made a very racist tweet directed at Ray Lewis. He gave up football by choice, with a little to a lot of help from his girlfriend. It doesnt really matter what Nike think about police brutality. They made an ad that is a complete lie and tried to make it look heroic. Sooooooooo stupid lol.
Its just false propaganda followed by idiots. Best thing to do is not support Nike or the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT