ADVERTISEMENT

So looks like the Big 12

Ummmm ...... Yes they are.
Once again someone saying something against BYU doesn’t make them anti Christian
Possibly anti Mormon but not anti Christian
Like what has been posted on here numerous times. 50% of Christians don’t believe Mormons are Christian
They are more like Jehovah Witnesses.

There is very good reasoning for their beliefs
They don’t believe in the Trinity

I would add Colorado State to your list of potentials. Yeah, I know, not a big name, but potentially could be with P5 backing.

My top 4:

BYU - They're the obvious big fish that's unaccounted for, or at least biggest not named Notre Dame.
Memphis - Still believe this is #2 on the list, due to great basketball coming back, as well as huge potential in football. Then you add the support they get from Fed-X and fans, and I see them as #2.
Cincinnati would be #3. Currently pretty good in both revenue sports, and would only get better with P5 recognition. Plus, it brings the Huggins-Cinci rivalry back. Good TV hoops game there when played in Cinci,
Houston or UCF would be a tie here at the 4th spot. Either one would be a nice addition. UCF has improved in basketball, and Houston is already a basketball power. Again, P5 status would improve both programs football recruiting. Figuring Houston would get the nod though, primarily due to Oliver Luck.
Big pass on CSU. They are getting throttled by South Dakota State right now. 28-10 mid 3rd.

Once again someone saying something against BYU doesn’t make them anti Christian
Like what has been posted on here numerous times. 50% of Christians don’t believe Mormons are Christian

LDS believe in the Trinity
Jehovah's Witnesses do not.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
LDS believe in the Trinity
Jehovah's Witnesses do not.
Mormons don’t either
Don’t believe Jesus, God and the Holy Ghost are one
They have their own Trinity and believe Jesus can and has appeared throughout history
More than that they believe God has multiple sons not just Jesus Christ

Not as bad as Jehovah Witnesses but their thinking doesn’t conform to what Christianity is according to a good number of people

But I like Mormons
Great family structure and they teach discipline
Actually knew a few in the Marine Corps
Cigarettes and coffee are something they don’t mess with
But they have a weird understanding of Christianity
Believe in their book more than the gospel

Mormons don’t either
Don’t believe Jesus, God and the Holy Ghost are one
They have their own Trinity and believe Jesus can and has appeared throughout history
More than that they believe God has multiple sons not just Jesus Christ

Not as bad as Jehovah Witnesses but their thinking doesn’t conform to what Christianity is according to a good number of people
Jehova's Witnesses don't believe in The Holy Ghost. Mormons do.
Just because "a good number" of people don't believe LDS aren't Christians doesn't make it true. In that case most people believe Biden is incompetent. So, Is he or not?

But I like Mormons
Great family structure and they teach discipline
Actually knew a few in the Marine Corps
Cigarettes and coffee are something they don’t mess with
But they have a weird understanding of Christianity
Believe in their book more than the gospel
They teach out of the Book of Mormon and the Bible ...... both.

Jehova's Witnesses don't believe in The Holy Ghost. Mormons do.
Just because "a good number" of people don't believe LDS aren't Christians doesn't make it true. In that case most people believe Biden is incompetent. So, Is he or not?
Go back to my reasoning…
Someone said something negative about BYU
RotoRooter called him anti Christian
But the majority of people who don’t believe they are Christian are Christian…
So that wouldn’t be anti Christian as much as anti Mormon

Go back to my reasoning…
Someone said something negative about BYU
RotoRooter called him anti Christian
But the majority of people who don’t believe they are Christian are Christian…
So that wouldn’t be anti Christian as much as anti Mormon
that line of reasoning I would agree with.
The Christians that believe Mormons aren't Christian are wrong.

that line of reasoning I would agree with.
The Christians that believe Mormons aren't Christian are wrong.
They just have a strict understanding of what is Christianity and what isn’t

Good article explaining the differences
Ultimately comes down to their understanding of who Jesus is and who the Holy Ghost is

Ultimately comes down to their understanding of who Jesus is and who the Holy Ghost is
They are still Christians. Every Christian denomination has different thoughts and practices.

Reactions: Rootmaster

When I am occasionally visited by those well dressed young men that call themselves 'Elders' from the Mormon Church or those sweet little old ladies from Jehovah's Witnesses I greet them with a friendly hello and hand them this. I insist they read it before we talk and they do. Then they leave.

241219866_595673411444880_5858127732115080597_n.jpg

Reactions: TownesVanZandt
They are still Christians. Every Christian denomination has different thoughts and practices.
But fundamental differences changes the definition of things
Is a tranny a woman or man? Some believe it is a man because it has a penis
So the basic understanding of Christianity is the belief that God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost are one
This didn’t change with the Protestant Reformation.
Both Catholics and Protestants believe this

When I am occasionally visited by those well dressed young men that call themselves 'Elders' from the Mormon Church or those sweet little old ladies from Jehovah's Witnesses I greet them with a friendly hello and hand them this. I insist they read it before we talk and they do. Then they leave.

241219866_595673411444880_5858127732115080597_n.jpg

I don’t know for sure if they are Elders…
Mormon Church works somewhat like a business especially in Utah and Idaho
So those are the people who help the church own a lot of the businesses

Since we are on religion and expansion

This is one of the better gospel songs ever written. Kris never had really been to church before he met Larry Gatlin
Went to church with Larry and accepted our Lord into his heart…Wrote this beautiful song.
Larry Gatlin played football at the University of Houston. Was a WR for them in the late 1960’s. Was a great singer songwriter in his own right

I don’t know for sure if they are Elders…
Mormon Church works somewhat like a business especially in Utah and Idaho
So those are the people who help the church own a lot of the businesses

Since we are on religion and expansion

This is one of the better gospel songs ever written. Kris never had really been to church before he met Larry Gatlin
Went to church with Larry and accepted our Lord into his heart…Wrote this beautiful song.
Larry Gatlin played football at the University of Houston. Was a WR for them in the late 1960’s. Was a great singer songwriter in his own right
Loved that song. "Why me Lord? What have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known?" Kris Kristofferson, 85 and going strong and an actual member of Mensa. Now, if he could only carry a tune in a bucket!
Great songwriter and actor. How about 'God's not dead' and 'We believe' by the Newsboys?

Reactions: TownesVanZandt
Baptism are important but each church has their guidelines of being baptized or not
Mormon baptism aren’t accepted everywhere

There is an off topic board. I'm all for mixing it up, but debating whether Mormons are Christians or not is completely dumb. BYU needs to be added if the Big 12 is ever going to stay at the big boy table.

It's that simple. Like them or not, they needed the invite.

The problems with the world is religion you hand waiving idiots are the problem

"Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.

And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,

And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him."

Matthew 4:1-11 (KJV)

Apostle Paul:

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

Romans 10:9-13 (KJV)

Both Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons identify as Christians, although their non-Trinitarian doctrine both deny that Jesus Christ shares a single fundamental divine essence with God the Father and the Holy Spirit — has often brought them into conflict with mainline Christian tradition.

Differences between Mormons and Jehova Witnesses.

Mormonism

Joseph Smith founded the Mormons in the 1820s in the United States. After his death in 1844, a man named Brigham Young led many of Joseph Smith’s original followers west to what is now modern-day Utah. This group became known as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and most contemporary Mormons belong to this organization today. However, small groups of Mormons have split from the Church of Jesus Christ throughout its history. Mormons consider the Book of Mormon, which chronicles Christian belief among Native Americans before the coming of Europeans, to be a religious authority equally important as the Bible. Mormons consider themselves Christian, and the worship of Jesus Christ is a central tenant of their belief, although their practice and theology have become different enough from mainstream Christian groups that some do not consider Mormons to be Christian.

Jehovah's Witnesses

Charles Taze Russell founded the movement of Jehovah’s Witnesses in the United States in the 1870s. Initially called Bible Students, they adopted the name Jehovah’s Witnesses in 1931. Jehovah’s Witnesses believe God inspired the Bible, and they interpret it literally. Jehovah’s Witnesses believe the Second Coming of Christ is imminent and could happen very soon. They use a specific translation of the Bible called the New World translation. Jehovah’s Witnesses consider themselves Christian but they consider mainstream Christian groups such as Catholics and Protestants incorrect in their beliefs. Likewise, many mainstream Christian groups do not consider Jehovah’s Witnesses to be Christian.

Similarities

Both Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses belong to religious groups founded in America in the 19th century. Both consider themselves Christian and use a form of the Bible. Neither group believes in the Trinity in the same way that mainstream Christians do, with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit equal and of the same being. Both consider evangelism and missionary work essential to their belief. Both consider mainstream Christian groups to be incorrect and see themselves as returning to original Christian beliefs. Some mainstream groups do not consider either group Christian.

Differences

Because the groups have always been separate, they have many differences; here are a few examples. Mormons follow the teachings of Joseph Smith, Brigham Young and the Book of Mormon in addition to the King James Bible. Jehovah’s Witnesses follow the New World Translation of the Bible. Neither group uses the other’s teachings. Most Mormons organize under the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints; Jehovah’s Witnesses organize under a Governing Body. Mormons believe the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are separate but equal gods that form a “Godhead,” but Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that Jesus is inferior to God the Father and that the Holy Spirit is the manifestation of God the Father’s power. Jehovah’s Witnesses believe the second coming of Jesus is very near but Mormons do not.

Brigham Young University — founded, supported, and guided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — is to assist individuals in their quest for perfection and eternal life.

So if one religion prayed on their knees and the other on their head has what to do with their football and basketball teams?

So if one religion prayed on their knees and the other on their head has what to do with their football and basketball teams?
Absolutely nothing unless they start handing out pamphlets of their religion inside their stadiums.

Last edited:
There is an off topic board. I'm all for mixing it up, but debating whether Mormons are Christians or not is completely dumb. BYU needs to be added if the Big 12 is ever going to stay at the big boy table.

It's that simple. Like them or not, they needed the invite.
Is it possible that my stuff gets even more poignant over time? F@#k I'm good.

is looking to expand and is looking at the teams that I said should be targeted. So Lets look at the teams again

1. BYU- looks like this will be the first team added and is a no brainer as an add. Once the scheduling thing gets ironed out the Big 12 will have a stable quasi brand name that adds quality a good fan base , football tradition and the admin backs football/athletics . Great pick up

2. Central Florida - Huge market very good football program, fertile recruiting area , a growing fan base . Has the potential to be a monster program. This is and should be school #2 that makes it into the Big 12.

3. Cincy - has had some solid football and basketball success and might be on the cusp of a special season. The past 15 years Cincy has been quality in both BB and FB. Solid TV market. As of right now top 10 in football

4. Houston- Huge TV area, Best recruiting area in Texas. Solidifies the Big 12 footprint in Texas. School has shown it will spend $$$$$ on sports and has had teams that has beaten Oklahoma in the recent past. Like Central Florida could be a sleeping giant .

5. Memphis- Again good football and basketball , played in a new years day 6 bowl a few years ago so the school has that type of potential. Has backing from Fed Ex so $$$$$ is not a problem. Solid TV market in Memphis plus adds a SEC flavor. Solid pick up

6. South Florida- again fertile recruiting area with the school spending to make huge athletic upgrades. Sold TV market and any team in Florida has a chance to be good in a hurry

After that I like
SMU- Another Texas school but a small one so that hurts them
UNLV- Great TV market has potential but needs to improve on some things
Tulsa - Has had some solid teams but With OK St might not need another OK school
Army and Navy- Own the Army Navy Game. Talk about a $$$$$ maker. Both teams are well followed and when they play they are the only game on TV that week,so you could own one of the most watched games every year
San Diego State- gets you into Cali
Boise St- Feel good story with passionate fans
Tulane- great academics but not a year in and out solid football program
BLAH!
I see very few of these bringing any significant degree of added reputation and thrust to the conference. They seem to me to be place holders forming a weak, ill respected grouping. BYU might be an exception, but, IMO, they also bring a lot of 'baggage' associated with the Mormon Church.

BLAH!
I see very few of these bringing any significant degree of added reputation and thrust to the conference. They seem to me to be place holders forming a weak, ill respected grouping. BYU might be an exception, but, IMO, they also bring a lot of 'baggage' associated with the Mormon Church.
What baggage... specifically?

So Allen...children posting on Twitter is your proof? Really? Come on you're better than that.
So root you asked a stupid question you got a stupid answer. As your buddy Joe Biden likes to say..."Come on man"

ADVERTISEMENT