ADVERTISEMENT

So if the stock market crashes, where should my money be?

EEResistable

All-Conference
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Belmont, Ohio
I'm not an investment guru. If there is a bubble, like some say (and I have no idea if it's true), where is the best place to have my money invested?

I'm not an investment guru either

But the answer depends on how far away from retirement you are. IMO

Your portfolio should already be diversified to help protect against these things, but if you are 15-20 years from retirement, then I'd say to ride it out and consider it an opportunity to buy low again. That's what I'm doing anyway.

Most of my 401k money is spread among a few different index funds that cover large cap, mid cap, small cap, and international. My Roth IRA money is spread in much the same way, but in mutual funds (not index funds) and at different percentages (I have some of this in a REIT also) and I keep some cash in there too just in case I hear about a good opportunity with a specific stock. (for instance as JCP was bouncing around I made about 20% sold, waited until it dropped again, made about another 10% and then sold it for good)

I don't intend on changing much of anything until I'm quite a bit closer to retirement.

An actual financial advisor might have different advice.

Re: I'm not an investment guru either

I'm 15 years away from retirement. Very diversified, but am seriously thinking of moving it all to a money market fund and avoiding the market correction. But I don't believe it's possible to time the market correctly.

Cash is the best and surest answer. The problem is the timing. Out too early and you lose ROI. Out to late and you lose investment. Now, how greedy are you? Are you going to stay in until the last minute, or get out now and lose those earnings. Tough decisions.

A few weeks ago, I saw some man of substantial wealth had already bailed out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT