ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Six Mountaineers Score in Double Figures in 44-Point Win

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Six Mountaineers Score in Double Figures in 44-Point Win

FLORENCE, Italy (August 6, 2024) – Freshman Jonathan Powell’s 24 points helped lead the West Virginia University men’s basketball team to a 110-66 victory over Orange1 Bassano in Florence, Italy, on Tuesday.

Powell was one of six Mountaineers to score double figures. The Dayton, Ohio, native had a game-high five 3-point field goals to go with five rebounds and three steals.

Tucker DeVries had 14 points, while Eduardo Andre had a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds with seven of those on the offensive glass. WVU outrebounded Orange1 Bassano, 56-31, including 24 to 7 on the offensive glass.

Toby Okani and Jayden Stone each had 13 points, while Amani Hansberry had 11 points and six rebounds.

Starting point guard Javon Small had six points to go with six steals and seven assists. Ofri Naveh and Jake Auer had six points each, while Sencire Harris had three points and Dylan Jay two points.

Defensively, the Mountaineers forced 27 turnovers and had 23 steals. WVU recorded 44 points from turnovers, had 56 points in the paint and had 31 second-chance points.

The Mountaineers led 22-15 after one quarter, 55-26 at halftime and 85-42 after three quarters. WVU went with a starting lineup of Small, Harris, Okani, DeVries and Andre.

“I thought we did a nice job of correcting some of the things we talked about in the first game,” coach Darian DeVries said. “We had 22 turnovers the first game and this game we were around nine, which is great. I thought we did a much better job of taking care of the ball.

“Overall, I liked our defensive intensity once we got settled in. I love how we shared the ball, how we are playing together and playing connected. We got a lot of guys a lot of minutes, which is terrific. We’re trying to make the most of all three of these games and get everyone valuable time. It’s a great advantage to having a trip like this.”

The Mountaineers will travel to Rome on Wednesday and close out its tour of Italy on Thursday against Stella#EBK in Rome at noon ET.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT