ADVERTISEMENT

Silent Sam will be put back up on campus within 90 days of Monday’s riot.

They should all come down.....I have never understood why we honor traitors and racists with statues as well as highway and town names.

Because it is part of our history. Using your logic, we would need to remove all images of Washington, Jefferson, etc for they were traitors to England and owned slaves.

I get why many are offended by the statues. That doesn't doesn't necessarily mean that they should come down though.

Saw a great quote this morning on this:

That’s the hardest that group of students has worked on something since their gender studies final.
Lol.. In all seriousness, I would bet money that of those 250 or so students, only a handful actually did any research on the history of that statue.

They should all come down.....I have never understood why we honor traitors and racists with statues as well as highway and town names.

so, if our ancestors fought for the confederacy because they lived in a southern state, they are traitors and racists?

so, if our ancestors fought for the confederacy because they lived in a southern state, that are traitors and racists?

1. Maybe, it depends on their motives.
2. Maybe, it depends on their views on slavery and those of different races.

Because it is part of our history. Using your logic, we would need to remove all images of Washington, Jefferson, etc for they were traitors to England and owned slaves.

I get why many are offended by the statues. That doesn't doesn't necessarily mean that they should come down though.
Unfortunately, there are some who are currently advocating for that particular action!
Common name for this malady---anarchy.

My 2x great grandfather was a surviving POW of Andersonville. I have visited many Confederate sites and am fully aware that some of the honored Confederates were involved in his mistreatment and near death experience. But I have never considered having their monuments pulled down over it.

Reactions: brandonjags8
so, if our ancestors fought for the confederacy because they lived in a southern state, they are traitors and racists?
Not necessarily.......many people get caught up in wars and conflicts that may not believe in the beliefs of the leaders. I just don't believe we should honor those leaders.

Not necessarily.......many people get caught up in wars and conflicts that may not believe in the beliefs of the leaders. I just don't believe we should honor those leaders.

so Virginia should cease celebrating Lee-Jackson day? something they have done since 1904?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT