ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Signing Day Preview/Predictions

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
‘Twas the night before signing day and all through the land, prospects were waiting with pens in their hands. The college coaches pace backwards and forwards awaiting the news, as morning will bring letters of intent to their schools. By bunches and bunches until each class is full with hat games and props and even some old fashioned surprises to boot. So sit back, relax and get a good night’s sleep, because tomorrow is the one day a year where recruiting is king.

West Virginia has a total of 25 known commitments and that number could expand as the Mountaineers look to add the finishing touches to the class with some prized prospects remaining on the board.

So without further ado let’s take a look at the prospects left on signing day and how Tony Krumpach and I see each of the recruitments shaking out tomorrow.

***St. Clairsville (Oh.) linebacker Brendan Ferns has been one of the top prospects for West Virginia since the start of this class and one the eve of signing day the Mountaineers sit in his final two with Penn State. To say this has been an uncharacteristic recruitment would be quite the understatement but the Ferns family has stuck to their guns throughout and handled the process on their own terms. The positives for West Virginia are obvious. There is a family connection with his brother Mike already on campus, the pressing need for linebackers in this class and his comfort level with Morgantown because he has taken so many trips to West Virginia. So this is a slam dunk, right? Everything I’ve heard leads me to believe that West Virginia will be the selection here but with this recruitment I’m not willing to say anything is for sure. I do think when push comes to shove, the West Virginia coaches will get the start they want on signing day with Ferns announcing a commitment to the Mountaineers.

Announcement: 7 a.m.

Prediction: West Virginia. AK Prediction: West Virginia.

***Scranton (Pa.) Lackawanna C.C. safety Kyzir White has been committed to West Virginia since June and would be the third of his family to suit up for the Mountaineers following Kevin and Ka’Raun. The Rivals.com four-star prospect has a very strong bond with wide receivers coach Lonnie Galloway as well as the defensive staff and there is an opportunity for him to step in right away and play in the defensive backfield which is always important to junior college players. White visited Morgantown this past weekend and while he has been silent about the trip, I’ve been told by sources that he enjoyed his time on campus and there is confidence that he will indeed sign with West Virginia. So what’s the hold up? Well, from the first time I spoke with White I’ve always got the impression that he wants to make his own decision and not necessarily follow just to follow. I do think that this is one West Virginia will ultimately win due to the family connections and his comfort level, but USC has done a great job at least making him consider his future – which many schools likely wouldn’t have been able to do.

Announcement: 9 a.m.

***Miami (Fla.) Norland linebacker Emmett Rice has been committed to Florida State since February but pushes from both West Virginia and Louisville have elevated them into his final three with a decision expected around 8:30 a.m. tomorrow morning. Rice visited Morgantown for the Texas Tech game and running backs coach JaJuan Seider has done a great job getting the Mountaineers to the finish line. But can they cross it? That is the biggest question left and one thing working in West Virginia’s favor is the fact that sources have indicated to me that the in-home visits from the coaching staff has really gone a long ways toward impressing his mother. The next is that immediate playing time is BY FAR the most important factor for Rice and he understands that his best pathway to playing time is available in Morgantown. Rice visited Louisville this past weekend and as it is with any prospect from South Florida no decision would surprise me. But this is one I feel where the status quo will rule and West Virginia will be on the outside looking in when he announces.

Announcement
: 8:30 a.m.

Prediction: Florida State. AK Prediction: Florida State.

***Garden City (N.Y.) Nassau C.C. offensive tackle Malcolm Pridgeon is one of the most difficult reads in this recruiting class because he simply doesn’t talk. Not only does he not talk to the media, but he also has a habit of not picking up the phone for coaches either. Still, as of earlier this week West Virginia was still in pursuit of the offensive tackle and even stopped in to see him last week. He officially visited Morgantown for the Texas game as well as taking trips to Baylor, Florida and Ohio State. From what I’ve been told Florida is out of the race due to an academic requirement with the SEC, while Ohio State has gone back and forth on if they will be able to fit him into the class. Baylor has been a constant here and the presumed leader for most of the process, but I believe if Ohio State has room, he’ll end up there.

Announcement
: Unknown

Prediction: Ohio State. AK Prediction: Baylor.

***Dodge City C.C. (Kan.) cornerback Elijah Battle has had an interesting recruitment to say the least. After receiving an offer from West Virginia during the summer, it appeared that the Mountaineers were in the driver’s seat for the one-time mid-year enrollee’s signature after a commitment in early December. But a late visit to Minnesota caused him to flip his commitment and sign with the Gophers. But that pledge did not stick as Battle lacked one course so he was not able to enroll at Minnesota causing the Gophers to look in a different direction and opening his recruitment back up. Re-enter West Virginia, who visited Battle all three weeks during the contact period and cornerbacks coach Brian Mitchell picked up right where he left off in the in the first go-around. He has three years to play two in college and is looking for an opportunity where he can step in right away. Schools such as Rutgers, Iowa State and several others have tried to get involved but West Virginia is in the clear driver’s seat here and from what both his coach and he has told me the Mountaineers are where he will sign his letter of intent.

Announcement: 9:30 a.m.

***As we discussed last week, Charleston (W.Va.) Capital quarterback Tyrhee Pratt was not expected to sign a letter of intent with West Virginia and that has now been confirmed.

***Everybody is going to ask and probably already has so I’ll address the potential of a surprise as well. I don’t want to say it isn’t going to happen because that just isn’t fair and recruiting is by far one of the most fluid things imaginable, but as of tonight I don’t see anything sticking out. Of course, if I knew it, it wouldn’t be much of a surprise would it? One possibility could always be the potential flip of Bergenfield (N.J.) tight end Jovani Haskins who has West Virginia as the leader before committing to Miami and is expected to sign his letter of intent at 12:30 p.m., although I’m not expecting that. Or maybe an under the radar type guy that could possibly pop up? Regardless at this junction we’ll see how things shake out on that front. But if things go according to plan and how I see it, an “uneventful” signing day doesn’t sound so bad after all does it?

Signing times:

Already enrolled:
Ona (W.Va.) Cabell Midland defensive end Reese Donahue
Sandy Spring (Md.) Sherwood wide receiver Marcus Simms
Lexington (N.C.) North Davison running back Kennedy McKoy
Freeport (Pa.) Freeport Area Senior linebacker Logan Thimons
New Berlin (N.Y.) Milford Academy cornerback Jacquez Adams
Panama City Beach (Fla.) Arnold quarterback Cody Saunders
Dayton (Oh.) Dunbar defensive lineman Jeffery Pooler
Pittsburgh (Pa.) North Hills offensive lineman Jacob Buccigrossi
Bridgeport (W.Va.) linebacker Dylan Tonkery

Current commitments:
Scranton (Pa.) Lackawanna C.C. safety Kyzir White 9 a.m.
Reisterstown (Md.) Franklin wide receiver Steven Smothers 8 a.m.
Senatobia (Miss.) Northwest Mississippi C.C. running back Justin Crawford - 10 a.m.
Scranton (Pa.) Lackawanna C.C. tight end Trevon Wesco - 9 a.m.
Toledo (Oh.) Central Catholic linebacker Zach Sandwisch - 8:30 a.m.
Detroit (Mi.) Martin Luther King running back Martell Pettaway - 9 a.m.
Columbus (Oh.) Hamilton Township cornerback Jake Long - 8:20 a.m.
West Chester (Oh.) Lakota West cornerback Sean Mahone - 3 p.m.
Byesville (Oh.) Meadowbrook offensive tackle Josh Sills - 8:30 a.m.
New York (N.Y.) Globe Tech cornerback Mike Daniels - 9 a.m.
Wildwood (Mo.) Lafayette offensive lineman Chase Behrndt - 2:30 p.m.
Centerville (Oh.) linebacker Adam Hensley - 11:15 a.m.
Tyler (Tx.) Tyler J.C. offensive tackle Craig Smith - 1 p.m.
Coffeyville C.C. (Kan.) safety Toyous Avery - 1 p.m.
Katy (Tx.) safety JoVanni Stewart - 2:30 p.m.
Mocksville (N.C.) Davie kicker Jonn Young - 3:40 p.m.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News