ADVERTISEMENT

šŸ”„šŸ”„BREAKINGšŸ”„šŸ”„ Shelton Gibson has declared for the NFL Draft

Tend to agree. Compare him to Stedman Bailey at same point in his career. Bailey was a much polished and skilled receiver than Gibson is and yet had trouble getting in an NFL game.

He'll need to develop his "short game" to start at the NFL level. His best place to develop that was here.

Why does a large portion of the fanbase always turns on a player when he declares? I'll never understand it. They always throw him under bus, pretend he's not good enough, should have stayed, etc. I just don't understand why folks turn on players for making a financial decision for themselves and their families.

I remember Daryl Worley last year. Oh did he catch heat. Not good enough, won't get drafted, bad tackling, doesn't like to hit, etc.

Turns out he had a pretty damn good rookie campaign, not to mention drafted 3rd round.

Reactions: MntnEERinSC
He has his degree already, there's really no reason for him to stick around.

The same folks calling his decision a mistake were the same people saying Worley wouldn't be drafted [laughing]

Tend to agree. Compare him to Stedman Bailey at same point in his career. Bailey was a much polished and skilled receiver than Gibson is and yet had trouble getting in an NFL game.

Stedman was on his way to having a good career until he was shot in the head. Especially considering the Rams incompetence at QB.

He has his degree already, there's really no reason for him to stick around.

The same folks calling his decision a mistake were the same people saying Worley wouldn't be drafted [laughing]
I'm disappointed he's declaring, because I would have loved to see what he could do with Grier, but certainly don't blame him one bit if he feels this is the right decision. Didn't know he already has his degree and congrats to him for that. I have enjoyed watching him progress. Hopefully he has a good combine.
And I admit I was one of those who thought Daryl left a year too early...and I was dead wrong it seems! Good luck to Shelton in the future

Why'd he consult with everybody but the fans? Everybody knows the people who watch the team and coaches know the most.

I'm disappointed he's declaring, because I would have loved to see what he could do with Grier, but certainly don't blame him one bit if he feels this is the right decision. Didn't know he already has his degree and congrats to him for that. I have enjoyed watching him progress. Hopefully he has a good combine.
And I admit I was one of those who thought Daryl left a year too early...and I was dead wrong it seems! Good luck to Shelton in the future

[cheers]

He got his degree in December and Shelton has never been a big "school" guy, which he will admit himself.

There are spots for him on an NFL roster, he has the speed, and has the hand eye coordination for that deep ball. Even with Grier, I doubt he would have improved his draft stock by much.

He's a burner, and there's a place for them in the league. Hopefully he tears it up.

As a Mountaineer fan, I wanted him back for selfish reasons, but I am happy for the young man to chase his dream

Get the money while you can. The game is getting younger and younger, I'm a big proponent of guys making the jump as soon as possible if they're good enough.

2nd contract is more important. Leaving now puts him 1 year closer to that 2nd contract. That 2nd contract is what sets these guys up for life.

Not to mention rarely does anyone raise their stock in one season. I read somewhere that more players stock goes down after staying a year. If you get a grade to go need to run with it.

The NFL turned James "Hands of Stone" Jett into a decent long threat. Gibson's a step slower, but he can catch the ball, which was coin flip with Jett when he was in college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT