ADVERTISEMENT

Saw Neal's post game presser.

The Bell Tolls for Thee

All-Conference
Feb 15, 2005
Super defensive and uptight. Still said the same "played their tail off" and "Pitt's a good team" cliches. But there was a definite edge in his voice. He even said once he was "not trying to be an asshole." While he may not be trying, he was actually being one to the media who dared to question the garbage results on the field. I love Ford-Wheaton and fans do not need to be crapping on him. However, Neal is supposed to be the guy that gets it opposite of Holgorsen. A good coach will say that failing to make the simple and fundamental play often negates the the big plays which is why the little things really do matter. I'm not saying to throw him under the bus, but hopefully in practice he does pound this home. A player that botches 1 out of 10 routine plays is more often a slight liability even if able to make above and beyond plays every 1 of 10 plays.

Reactions: JRZEER
The same mishaps, mental mistakes, blunders, stupid penalties and coaching errors for 36 games now. These mistakes make a better QB still lose the game. People were putting all the blame on Doege the past 2 years and you see the outcome didn't change.

Wish I had 12 million laying around I would hand it over for the firing party.

The same mishaps, mental mistakes, blunders, stupid penalties and coaching errors for 36 games now. These mistakes make a better QB still lose the game. People were putting all the blame on Doege the past 2 years and you see the outcome didn't change.

Maybe Matt Rhule will need a job after the Panthers can him.

Reactions: WVUALLEN and JRZEER

amen, amen and amen!

Not that often. But because he isn't a fit here, he probably wouldn't win here, and if he did have just an above average season, he would be gone.
Is he too Christian for you? Don't like his MAGA hat? Trump likes him? Or is it because also thinks Biden sucks?

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL

That's a really bad take Allen. We're so much better with JT as our QB. Doege gave us very little chance to win. And look at him now. He couldn't even start for WKU or Troy.......

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
I wish Doege well, he tried his hardest, but IMO if he was QBing WVU the other night the final score would have been about 34-10 for Pitt. Daniels is the real deal. I don't know if he's elite in the sense of the best QBs around the country, but I can tell that he's at minimum a good college QB and a big upgrade over the past few years.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
I agree with OP. Coach Brown does not like a lukewarm seat. I remember not too long ago how he got his panties in a wad over questioning ill-timed timeouts, before having to take one coming into the third quarter kickoff. Speaking of misusing timeouts, I also noticed that reoccurred the other night as well, so some things still haven’t changed.

I agree with OP. Coach Brown does not like a lukewarm seat. I remember not too long ago how he got his panties in a wad over questioning ill-timed timeouts, before having to take one coming into the third quarter kickoff. Speaking of misusing timeouts, I also noticed that reoccurred the other night as well, so some things still haven’t changed.
When the official stands over the ball until 1 second is left it's kind of hard to snap the ball.

Re. the call of punting instead of going for it on 4th and half a yard, at the time I was 50-50 so my comment isn't on the call that was made, but since people are giving HCNB grief about that, isn't it Harrell that is making the play calls this year? If so then it seems that heat on HCNB is misplaced.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Re. the call of punting instead of going for it on 4th and half a yard, at the time I was 50-50 so my comment isn't on the call that was made, but since people are giving HCNB grief about that, isn't it Harrell that is making the play calls this year? If so then it seems that heat on HCNB is misplaced.
Harrell calls the plays, but Brown makes the decision whether or not to go for it. I did not like the decision at the time. Play to win.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I'm fairly sure that was to allow time for Pitt to make a defensive substitution. Which is usually allowed in response to the offense doing the same.
Pitt was subbing at very slow speed. They should have been penalized for it. Ref shouldn't stand over the ball for 20 seconds. I know the damn rule.

Harrell calls the plays, but Brown makes the decision whether or not to go for it. I did not like the decision at the time. Play to win.
No guarantees you win, make it or get another first down. Defense did not do their job.

Me personally I probably gamble well.

The debate will continue, go or no go with valid points on both sides. However, if there were ever a play that personified “playing not to lose“, the punt with 4th and inches is a textbook case. ………. A coach fearful of being second guessed.

Sometimes successful coaches make decisions that may not work out on the field in an effort to WIN the game, rather than making such decisions not to lose (and it ends up costing them a win anyway--such as at Pitt.)

Brown stated he'd do it again and he did it to not lose.

WVU needs an aggressive coach that will get some wins, especially one that is averaging about 5 wins per season.

ADVERTISEMENT