ADVERTISEMENT

Saw my first Broadway show this weekend.

Grease was my first and best. Great entertainment and a refresher course. Some of the others were very good and a few I could not endure past the first break.

giphy.gif

I've never seen Grease...

I've seen several shows. My favorite was The 39 Steps which was an adaptation of an old Hitchcock movie. There were only 4 actors performing all the characters-probably 20-30 characters in the play. Really well-done. The Monty Python show Spamalot was really good too. Spiderman was awesome. I slept through most of Wicked. My wife and daughter loved it. I'd rather eat cyanide. . I saw Addams Family my last trip to NYC which Brooke Shields was in. Good. Larry David has a new Broadway show whcih he stars in. Can't remember the name but 60 Minutes did a story on David last night. Would love to see him on Broadway.

Re:great.....

I'm seeing Wicked on Thursday. Been resisting for years but wife absolutely loves it and mostly everyone else I know and actually trust their opinion also have liked it a bunch. In fact, you are the first person I've heard not like it.

It's a huge production and is well done....

but the story is horrible. I'm not much of a fan of the Wixard of Oz. I didn't care for the music either. I know a lot of people love it and see it again and again. Make sure you give me your feedback after you see it.

Re: It's a huge production and is well done....

Ok. I know the story and have heard a lot of the music already (the wife has played the CD for years) so I'm prepared so I'm hoping I like it. Since I'm not very "cultured", I have problems with shows when I don't know much about it going to see something for the first time. Many shows (Les Miz, Phantom of the Opera are a couple) that are supposed to be great, I find them to be absolutely horrible the first time I see it because I don't know anything about it and am just totally lost throughout the show.

I love Les Miserable. I've seen it 3 times. Hard to get the music out of my head now. I'll be humming it all day. Regardless, have fun in NY!

Not going to NYC. Seeing Wicked in ATL. The shows here are pretty darn good and very comparable to Broadway productions.

We saw The Lion King in NY. It was for my step daughter's

21st birthday, so it was her choice. I wanted to see Book of Mormon. But still good.

Book of Mormon has been a tough ticket for a pretty long time

I'd sure still like to see that one sometimes, though.

That 60 Minutes interview was great...

Fish in the Dark is the new play.

Larry David has got himself into a jam. He went to a funeral and saw something funny in it, so he spun the experience into a play. He didn't know how it would turn out and he certainly didn't imagine acting in it. But now it's on Broadway, it is his name in lights on the marquee and ticket sales are astronomical.

It is, in other words, a happy jam, even if David, the co-creator ofSeinfeld[/I] and the star of HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm[/I], is still trying to pretend in interviews that he'd like to flee the Broadway run if only he knew how - "Get in an accident?" he asked public radio - and that he still can't quite believe he's a hit.
But that he is. The play, Fish in the Dark[/I], currently in previews and set to open formally on Thursday, has already generated a record of $14.5m (£9.4m) in advance sales. So uncurbed is the enthusiasm of David's fans, the average price of a ticket to watchFish in the Dark[/I] at the Cort Theatre is $299.23 (£194). Premium seats for the show, which will end its run on 7 June, are selling for a remarkable $425 (£275).
They may not be coming just for David. Directed by Anna Shapiro, the play has a cast that includes Rita Wilson, Jerry Adler, Ben Shenkman and Rosie Perez. David plays Norman Drexel, who, with a brother, is coming to terms with the death of his father and the ripples it is sending through his family.
It was the real-life funeral of a friend's father that set the whole project in motion. "I just started [writing], and then I just kept going," he told the Associated Press[/I]. "Things would occur to me as I was writing - I thought: 'Oh boy, that's a good idea.' I didn't plan it out the way I had to plan out a Curb[/I] episode. I just started writing the dialogue, and things fell into place."
Fearing disaster is part of his shtick, of course, but David may have been forgiven for fretting as the New York gig approached. At 67 years old, he was about to act on the stage for the first time (unless you count a school play when he was 13 or so). It is, he has insisted, an entirely novel experience. And that he is there, in front of the footlights, is all the fault of the play's producer, Scott Rudin.
"I didn't write it to be in it. I didn't volunteer for it!" he said. "Unfortunately, the main character sounded way too much like me for Scott Rudin to ignore. So that's where I made my mistake." Just because he gave in to Rudin didn't mean he was sure he'd be any good.
"I didn't think it was going to get any laughs at all," he said in an interview with National Public Radio. "I'm so negative! So the first time we did it, like every laugh was a surprise to me because I was expecting nothing. That's how bleak I am."
With its first full week in previews, Fish in the Dark[/I] generated $1,117,593 (£724,000) with just eight performances, a record for the Cort Theatre. Every seat was filled. Actually attendance was put at 101.58 per cent, suggesting someone opted for standing room or watched from the prompter's stool.
Thus the only thing that can possibly go wrong now is that some of David's fans will be left outside. Even Jason Alexander, the alter ego of David on Seinfeld[/I], is afraid. "Larry David's play Fish in the Dark[/I] is so sold out, even I can't get a ticket," he tweeted. "You know what this means - worlds cannot collide."

I watched the interview as well.....

......and felt as though I really didn't get all that much from it.

I went to a dinner theater in Albuquerque in 1973....

..I think that's what is was, not sure. Either way, it was one wild and dramatic scene, man. Dreamatic.

I loved that show. It was a weird twist on the wizard of oz though.

Jersey boys and les miserables were my two favorite.

Originally posted by dave:
I loved that show. It was a weird twist on the wizard of oz though.

Jersey boys and les miserables were my two favorite.
I've been fortunate enough to see three shows on actual Broadway, and Jersey Boys was by several light years my favorite; absolutely unforgettable. I've not seen Wicked; surprising, because my wife and I are interested in the Show......along with the fact it's a very popular Touring production which has come through my own area on several occasions over the years.

Still, there's just no place in the US quite like Broadway.....

Re: I watched the interview as well.....

Originally posted by RichardPeterJohnson:

My cousin knows David and said in real life, he's just like his character on Curb.
He never struck me as the kind of actor who'd be asked to play much beyond the character/personality we've come to know.....in fact, come to think of it, I seriously doubt he'd act in any project where he wasn't the Director and/or Producer.

But for those (like yours truly) who appreciate the neurotic comedy persona......like David's (or, say, Albert Brooks)......he's still one of the funniest SOB's around.

I've seen one show on Broadway, my senior year in high school on a trip to New York. The star was 12-year-old Irene Cara (yes, "Fame" Irene Cara).

I didn't see another one until Phantom of the Opera came to the Kennedy Center in the early 90s, and I've seen it twice. Also The Secret Garden, which we only saw because my brother had free tickets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT