ADVERTISEMENT

Saw a lot of UTenn and WVU fans enjoying being around each other

NCNEER

All-American
May 29, 2001
Apex, NC
After the game both teams were very respectful. A lot of UTenn fans singing Country Roads exiting the stadium. They were just enjoying college football even though the game did not go well for the VOLs....good respectful fan base from what I saw and WVU fans were equally respectful.
There were flashes of Tenn doing good things on the field. Their secondary and DL did well in the first half. WVU got in sync 2nd half and it was impossible for the VOLs to cover our WRs. But it takes time for a new staff and again there were flashes. WVU needs to be in the SEC, it just felt right from a fan base stand point and this was two fan bases with a ton of pride in their state and their football team.

If a WV person ever moves south that is the state you want to go to. Tennessee is the country music Mecca and a college sports Heaven. They are similar to WV in many ways.

I would love to play them in Knoxville and Morgantown. 2 great college traditions. I was surprised this game didn’t sell out. Tickets were too high, overpriced. Just crazy when tickets are that high for a game that didn’t sell out. That’s the problem with these neutral site games. It’s a rip off. I refuse to support the neutral site games. I prefer the home campus tradition. Most of the neutral site games are not selling out nowadays. Too much travel and ticket cost. Ridiculous.

giphy.gif

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
I would expect that out of Tennessee. Really, a lot of the SEC I would. The SEC has some schools who's fans have manners. I haven't had a real bad experience playing an SEC school in Football.

I've been to Baton Rouge, Starkville, The Plains (Auburn), and not had a bad experience (compared to say playing USF-worst experience I've ever had and the 2nd one was just as bad-they don't know how to behave in victory or defeat, VA Tech-and they call us red necks, Pitt-Rude Yinzers, ND-not a Christian atmosphere at all,or UVA-Snobby and Rude-like Tobacco Road on a shot of Roids and HGH). Baton Rouge & Starkville were very friendly and inviting visitors to their tailgates. Auburn was a little more standoff-ish, but they weren't rude. Well one guy was and he even apologized, which I respected.

The worst experience was vs UGA in the Sugar Bowl. They were so arrogant before the game. They sure shut up during and after that game though.

Florida in the 94 Sugar Bowl was okay. They just celebrated the ass whooping they put on us.

I didn't make it to Charlotte for this one. My brother did. I'm sure he had a similar experience. Tennessee folks are very nice people.

Last edited:
I would expect that out of Tennessee. Really, a lot of the SEC I would. The SEC has some schools who's fans have manners. I haven't had a real bad experience playing an SEC school in Football.

I've been to Baton Rouge, Starkville, The Plains (Auburn), and not had a bad experience (compared to say playing USF, VA Tech, Pitt, ND, or UVA). Baton Rouge & Starkville were very friendly and inviting visitors to their tailgates. Auburn was a little more standoff-ish, but they weren't rude. Well one guy was and he even apologized, which I respected.

The worst experience was vs UGA in the Sugar Bowl. They were so arrogant before the game. They sure shut up during and after that game though.

Florida in the 94 Sugar Bowl was okay. They just celebrated the ass whooping they put on us.

I didn't make it to Charlotte for this one. My brother did. I'm sure he had a similar experience. Tennessee folks are very nice people.

I didn't see many of them after the game. "The lights will be turned off in 10 minutes". They didn't want to stick around for us, though.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
UGA fans were punks. Auburn had a mix. I went down for the Auburn game. A real idiot sat behind us. Some of their older folks said WV is one of us and should be with them in SEC. LSU folks were just ok. No different than most fanbases. A mix. If WVU joined SEC it would be similar experience. Some good and bad. Big 12 has good folks, very respectful. Tennessee is good folks. They got great tradition. Kentucky, Tennessee, WVU should be together. It makes sense.

ACC would have real jerk off idiots to beat. Lol....ACC sucks but they got big attitudes.

If a WV person ever moves south that is the state you want to go to. Tennessee is the country music Mecca and a college sports Heaven. They are similar to WV in many ways.

I would love to play them in Knoxville and Morgantown. 2 great college traditions. I was surprised this game didn’t sell out. Tickets were too high, overpriced. Just crazy when tickets are that high for a game that didn’t sell out. That’s the problem with these neutral site games. It’s a rip off. I refuse to support the neutral site games. I prefer the home campus tradition. Most of the neutral site games are not selling out nowadays. Too much travel and ticket cost. Ridiculous.
There is no place in Tennessee that is even close to being as nice as Asheville.

Asheville is transient weirdo place. Hippie strange place. Me and wife went there a few years back and said overatted. Asheville kind of sucked. No jobs either. No college tradition either. Long way from college sports. No way.

Asheville is transient weirdo place. Hippie strange place. Me and wife went there a few years back and said overatted. Asheville kind of sucked. No jobs either. No college tradition either. Long way from college sports. No way.

That’s not entirely the Asheville I know. It’s my fav weekend getaway.

Yep, less than 1% unemployment, surrounded by 6000 foot peaks,28 breweries and very few days where it hits the 90s if at all in the summer. Clemson and death valley 90 minutes away and UGA 2 hour drive. Not that everyone does not know this already but you are dumb ass.

Asheville just didn’t impress us like we thought. It was freezing cold and seemed overhyped. Most people that know Asheville said the job market sucks and the pay is low. It’s a tourist transient place with low pay. Maybe not as bad as Myrtle Beach but......

Oh hush just face the reality....as for college sports Asheville is a long way from seeing decent college basketball. Chapel Hill is a long way away actually. I prefer to be within 15-30 min tops away from great college sports. Asheville is kind of remote.

Asheville is known for pills, drugs, meth like a lot of other places. Lots of homeless weirdos, hippies in Asheville.

Asheville is home to a lot of pill heads, meth, drugs and homeless hippies. It’s quite an issue there. Not worth the money. Very remote location sitting out on its own and far from any major city. No college sports worth anything. No thanks.

Morgantown is a booming college city that has blossomed into a small metro area and will continue to grow with mostly real traditional Americans. Morgantown has all the bigtime college sports you can handle. It’s WVU mania lol....with plenty of cool high school sports in the region of NCWV. WVU is booming, growing with $$$$$$$$$$.....Major city and tech hub Pittsburgh is 50 minutes north. Actually reach the metro area of Pittsburgh in 40 minutes.

Morgantown is near great ski resorts and also is only 3 hours away from nations capital DC area and the largest population concentration in the USA which is the east coast metropolis on the eastern seaboard from DC to Boston.

I've been to Baton Rouge, Starkville, The Plains (Auburn), and not had a bad experience (compared to say playing USF-worst experience I've ever had and the 2nd one was just as bad-they don't know how to behave in victory or defeat, VA Tech-and they call us red necks, Pitt-Rude Yinzers, ND-not a Christian atmosphere at all,or UVA-Snobby and Rude-like Tobacco Road on a shot of Roids and HGH). Baton Rouge & Starkville were very friendly and inviting visitors to their tailgates. Auburn was a little more standoff-ish, but they weren't rude. Well one guy was and he even apologized, which I respected.

I was at the Sugar Bowl when we played Florida. The night before we we were on Bourbon Street and my buddy had a big button on the front of his shirt that read, "Piss on Florida." A Gator fan came up to him and said, "Hey buddy, I don't care much for that button!" My pal replied, "I don't like it that much either. I was trying to find one that said, "Fu@k Florida, but I couldn't find one."" The guy didn't know what to say! To start the next season we played Nebraska in the Kickoff Classic at the Meadowlands in NJ. Husker fans were really nice. The only a$$hole we saw was at halftime and he was all decked out in University of Florida garb. I'm not sure if he was lost or what.

Wait 9 months and we might even have a few VolunEERS.

I think mountain people get along with each other everywhere, whether it's Rockytop or Almost Heaven or Briarhoppers in Kentucky or Arkansas hill folks. The bond is the way the uppity, sophisticated (they think) big-city folks look down on all mountain people.

After the game both teams were very respectful. A lot of UTenn fans singing Country Roads exiting the stadium. They were just enjoying college football even though the game did not go well for the VOLs....good respectful fan base from what I saw and WVU fans were equally respectful.
There were flashes of Tenn doing good things on the field. Their secondary and DL did well in the first half. WVU got in sync 2nd half and it was impossible for the VOLs to cover our WRs. But it takes time for a new staff and again there were flashes. WVU needs to be in the SEC, it just felt right from a fan base stand point and this was two fan bases with a ton of pride in their state and their football team.

The Tennessee fans that were singing Country Roads are formerly from WV and left the state looking for work. I know because I got cousins over in Tennessee that wear the flying V under that Vots shirt. Warez

I think most WV folks use the work excuse as why they left the state. What the hell is in Tennessee that you can’t find in WV? I could see if it’s a big city with corporate jobs like a Nashville but most WV natives move to smaller East Tennessee towns. They aren’t making huge money there either. Most WV people leave cause they don’t like life in WV and they buy into the thought that other states will make their life better. I mean are they leaving WV to make 6 digits in these other states???? C’mon you know most will never see that??? I know WV people that move down south and work retail jobs or sell some crap for $35-40,000 a year tops. Or they moved down south and got blue collar jobs there too. You could have got the same jobs in WV. I think most leave WV cause they want more warmer weather and they think life will be more exciting. Some just don’t want to be a true WVian. They want to get rid of that stigma or stereotype. It’s all in their head.

The majority of the WV folks moving down south aren’t making good money down there. They just wanted to move regardless.

I think most WV folks use the work excuse as why they left the state. What the hell is in Tennessee that you can’t find in WV? I could see if it’s a big city with corporate jobs like a Nashville but most WV natives move to smaller East Tennessee towns. They aren’t making huge money there either. Most WV people leave cause they don’t like life in WV and they buy into the thought that other states will make their life better. I mean are they leaving WV to make 6 digits in these other states???? C’mon you know most will never see that??? I know WV people that move down south and work retail jobs or sell some crap for $35-40,000 a year tops. Or they moved down south and got blue collar jobs there too. You could have got the same jobs in WV. I think most leave WV cause they want more warmer weather and they think life will be more exciting. Some just don’t want to be a true WVian. They want to get rid of that stigma or stereotype. It’s all in their head.

The majority of the WV folks moving down south aren’t making good money down there. They just wanted to move regardless.

No, I didn't want to move. I also didn't want to limit myself, either. West Virginia offers nothing in terms of future-focused employment. It's all about stripping the resources of the state, some tourism, and the rest is retail.

I can't do what I do based in WV.

Yeah,there's nobody down here in Alabama to work for except maybe Remington,Polaris, Toyota, Mazda, Honda, Mercedes, Kia, Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, Raytheon, DoD ...............it's terrible.

Yeah,there's nobody down here in Alabama to work for except maybe Remington,Polaris, Toyota, Mazda, Honda, Mercedes, Kia, Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, Raytheon, DoD ...............it's terrible.

I once flew into Monroeville, AL. Please.

Monroeville looks to be in the middle of nowhere. Now fly into Huntsville.

I've been into civilized areas also. The point was that Alabama isn't the mecca of all things corporate.

True, but there is a lot more good opportunities. And Northern Bama has much better scenic areas than Southern Bama........that's a shithole.

Seriously just stop.
You are trying way too hard.

I love how WV attempted to act like a SEC school.
They even had the girls up in the stands like the LSU Golden Girls.

Problem was WVU doesn't have enough 10's around campus to make an entire group.
Saw some 5's and 6's.

The people in the SEC that make the decisions view CFB and SEC games as a social gathering.
You know how you call UVA and UNC snobs.
The SEC is the same way. They want people who are similar to them.

Seriously just stop.
You are trying way too hard.

I love how WV attempted to act like a SEC school.
They even had the girls up in the stands like the LSU Golden Girls.

Problem was WVU doesn't have enough 10's around campus to make an entire group.
Saw some 5's and 6's.

The people in the SEC that make the decisions view CFB and SEC games as a social gathering.
You know how you call UVA and UNC snobs.
The SEC is the same way. They want people who are similar to them.
Hey saw where App. State and Arkansas State got votes in the coaches poll but Texas did not get a single vote. Of course when you lose to a punching Judy like Maryland everyone naturally assumes this is another crappy Texas team. Good thing you don't play A&M this year. Now that would be ugly.

Reactions: Phil and CAJUNEER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT