ADVERTISEMENT

Rossi takes the Pens to the woodshed today

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
Euell and OM know this guy......and maybe you do as well, t......but if not, Rob Rossi (a well-known WVU grad in Pittsburgh) is a former long-time Pens beat writer for the Pitt Tribune Review who became a feature columnist a year or so ago. He was interviewed on Kouleas and Barnaby's show on NHLN Radio this morning and spared nothing in taking the Pens for an absolute verbal whipping.

Said that MAF should be in the discussion for MVP given the team's record in light of the fact they've played so few good games thus far this season (I think we all agree with that). He absolutely hammered their blue line, saying they have nobody (including Letang) who can really carry the puck into the zone.....especially on the PP.....which forces their forwards to try and make plays they shouldn't be forced to make.

One thing is for certain, it's clear he does not feel MJ's system works for this roster in the manner its constructed. He did not call for MJ to be fired; but made a big deal about MJ's philosophy of insisting on his entire team.....including SId and Geno......get back in the defensive zone. Rossi is absolutely convinced this style will lead to both of them being burned out and dead late in the season.

But he feels an even bigger issue is Crosby himself; Rossi says he's working just as hard as always, but that something is just WRONG. He's not sure, but he's at least beginning to wonder if Crosby may need a change of scenery; and strictly speaking, I'm not sure he's altogether wrong. Whatever, he definitely doesn't think the Pens will make the playoffs this season.....and it also sounds as though he believes the time to burn down the roster and rebuild should be sooner rather than later.

OTOH, the team is up for sale; and he has no current clue as to how this would impact any such decision to start over. This is me talking now, but I find it hard to believe that Mario will have any interest selling a team without Sidney Crosby as its face..

PS: 11/24 1000PM EST -- One more interesting opinion Rossi offered which I forgot to post initially: he said the only HC in the League who could coach the roster as currently structured is now in Toronto (and he couldn't understand why the team didn't pursue MB with greater seriousness).

Last edited:
Euell and OM know this guy......and maybe you do as well, t......but if not, Rob Rossi (a well-known WVU grad in Pittsburgh) is a former long-time Pens beat writer for the Pitt Tribune Review who became a feature columnist a year or so ago. He was interviewed on Kouleas and Barnaby's show on NHLN Radio this morning and spared nothing in taking the Pens for an absolute verbal whipping.

Said that MAF should be in the discussion for MVP given the team's record in light of the fact they've played so few good games thus far this season (I think we all agree with that). He absolutely hammered their blue line, saying they have nobody (including Letang) who can really carry the puck into the zone.....especially on the PP.....which forces their forwards to try and make plays they shouldn't be forced to make.

One thing is for certain, it's clear he does not feel MJ's system works for this roster in the manner its constructed. He did not call for MJ to be fired; but made a big deal about MJ's philosophy of insisting on his entire team.....including SId and Geno......get back in the defensive zone. Rossi is absolutely convinced this style will lead to both of them being burned out and dead late in the season.

But he feels an even bigger issue is Crosby himself; Rossi says he's working just as hard as always, but that something is just WRONG. He's not sure, but he's at least beginning to wonder if Crosby may need a change of scenery; and strictly speaking, I'm not sure he's altogether wrong. Whatever, he definitely doesn't think the Pens will make the playoffs this season.....and it also sounds as though he believes the time to burn down the roster and rebuild should be sooner rather than later.

OTOH, the team is up for sale; and he has no current clue as to how this would impact any such decision to start over. This is me talking now, but I find it hard to believe that Mario will have any interest selling a team without Sidney Crosby as its face..

PS: 11/24 1000PM EST -- One more interesting opinion Rossi offered which I forgot to post initially: he said the only HC in the League who could coach the roster as currently structured is now in Toronto (and he couldn't understand why the team didn't pursue MB with greater seriousness).
This is pretty interesting. ...I do know of Rossi but likely not as intimately as the group of you...I will say I agree with him on the majority, BUT strongly disagree on at least one or 2 facets...I'll get back with my thoughts your way tomorrow...this has been a hellish week in some respects....that dog of mine pic'd in my avatar has a pretty serious cancer we just discovered ...'canine oral melanoma'...our Newf dogs pretty much run our lives here (happily), wife is devastated as she's been down this road before unfortunately....this fella who is a Newfoundland rescue from the group we volunteer with is just exceptional...listens, intelligence, family oriented, and unbelievably friendly. ...and most of all? Watches and looks forward to every damned Mountaineers game we can't see live....as well as the Pens games ....just hoots and barks away by my side lol....

Sid really knocked my socks off tonight as did Geno with that OT goal...vs a sound defensive team!....oh one more thing...keep that fourth line together MJ! And figure out just how to get em more ice time!!!!

Oh my t, deal with your pup and we'll (or I'll) still be here clogging up the Board when you're ready to start talking pucks again.

Oh my t, deal with your pup and we'll (or I'll) still be here clogging up the Board when you're ready to start talking pucks again.
Thanks CM....just a couple more things I noticed last night and not sure if you or the others did as well....
First off I thought it was a pretty solid effort all around...The Lovejoy pairing with Letang looked pretty good to me when we saw it last night, but I'm tending to agree with you that something still doesn't look quite right with Letang...his positioning has to be better on that 1st Blues goal imo. I sympathise with his preparation for a howitzer from the point but his head needs to be on a swivel and his stick needs to be in that lane where one heck of a sniper Stastny is located...but I suppose I am nitpicking a bit here, the important thing is a well earned victory over a quality opponent!
Also the focus the broadcast crew brought to Sid's stickwork...it is apparent he still has the hand/eye working in fast paced situations, hopefully he can continue his recent success approaching the days of deep winter...

Not sure if I mentioned to you that we are heading out to Cali for our 10th anniversary Dec 4 (depending on how my pooch is making out anyway), my present from the wife is tickets for Saturday afternoon Kings/Pens on the 5th!:smiley:....hers is a 'Penguins dress' a company out of Ottawa here makes from actual jerseys lol...I'll see if I can pull up an image of them online. They are expensive but pretty cool imo...
We're sitting in lower ends 6th row where the Pens shoot twice, so if you're tuned in have a look for the fella in Crosby Canada jersey and WVU hat lol...
penguins-nhl-jersey-dress-a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: COOL MAN
BTW t, is this your actual missus ?? If so.....and even if not.....let me just say it's been awhile since the skating 'Guin and the Golden Triangle looked quite that good [cheers]

BTW t, is this your actual missus ?? If so.....and even if not.....let me just say it's been awhile since the skating 'Guin and the Golden Triangle looked quite that good [cheers]
Lol nope...however I will say she is quite close to the lovely lady pictured. ..tall brunette, and an amazing woman...happy she's stuck with me for 10 years!

This is pretty interesting. ...I do know of Rossi but likely not as intimately as the group of you...I will say I agree with him on the majority, BUT strongly disagree on at least one or 2 facets...I'll get back with my thoughts your way tomorrow...this has been a hellish week in some respects....that dog of mine pic'd in my avatar has a pretty serious cancer we just discovered ...'canine oral melanoma'...our Newf dogs pretty much run our lives here (happily), wife is devastated as she's been down this road before unfortunately....this fella who is a Newfoundland rescue from the group we volunteer with is just exceptional...listens, intelligence, family oriented, and unbelievably friendly. ...and most of all? Watches and looks forward to every damned Mountaineers game we can't see live....as well as the Pens games ....just hoots and barks away by my side lol....

Sid really knocked my socks off tonight as did Geno with that OT goal...vs a sound defensive team!....oh one more thing...keep that fourth line together MJ! And figure out just how to get em more ice time!!!!
Toronto,

I think I saw you posted in another thread where your dog was doing better. I am so happy! We lost our "boy" Max on June 1st. He was 14 1/2. It was very tough! I hope your trip is going splendidly and you see a great game v. Kings tomorrow!

Reactions: COOL MAN
Toronto,

I think I saw you posted in another thread where your dog was doing better. I am so happy! We lost our "boy" Max on June 1st. He was 14 1/2. It was very tough! I hope your trip is going splendidly and you see a great game v. Kings tomorrow!

t: I did too, and I'm also happy for you and the wife......and especially your Newf, a breed with a soft spot in my heart especially after the time my son spent in St. John's.

Euell: Sorry for your loss; coincidentally, was he a Newfoundland as well ??

t: I did too, and I'm also happy for you and the wife......and especially your Newf, a breed with a soft spot in my heart especially after the time my son spent in St. John's.

Euell: Sorry for your loss; coincidentally, was he a Newfoundland as well ??
No, our boy was a mixed-breed stray who followed us home one evening when we were out walking and never left. Thanks for your condolences. We miss him immensely, although we have a little girl "Kiki" who is about 4. She is a little terrier mix and is a rescue dog.
Looking forward to a great sports weekend with WVU fb and bb, Pens at LA with our man Toronto in the house, and conference championship games tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT