ADVERTISEMENT

Ron Rivera

doneagain

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2004
My parent's basement
With Rivera out in Charlotte, I wonder if Grier gets a shot to start?

As far as Rivera goes, I assume he will want to take a year off or so, understandably.

But his approach to coaching would probably fit well in the college ranks.

Maybe Florida State would be a good landing spot for him.

It will be interesting to see how a different staff preps and evaluates Grier, he unfortunately didnt do well in the pre season but obviously does have talent.

Throwing three interceptions, Carolina lost 51-13 beginning a trend of picks and poor play leading to four losses in their last five games. The latest, a heartbreaking divisional defeat in New Orleans essentially puts Carolina out of playoff contention being three games back of a wild card and four out of the division.

In 10 career starts Allen has proven to be a capable NFL backup who can make a variety of throws. A few teams may even prefer to have him as their starter and given his contract expires this season, they may get an opportunity. However, no one knows exactly what rookie quarterback Will Grier is capable of doing in regular season play.

While Newton should return in 2020, it is a safe bet that Allen is going to require more than his current two-year, roughly $1 million to also be back.

Grier struggled at times during the preseason but has had nearly a full year of practice and coaching.

An upcoming home game against Washington presents a great opportunity for the rookie to register his first NFL start.

If Grier isn’t suited to be a reliable backup or even a potential developmental talent, then addressing the position either via free agency or next year’s draft needs to be determined.

The owner Tepper, who is 18 months into owning the team, was waiting for this outcome. He had no part in the current coaching staff or roster. Couldn't just overturn the apple cart upfront, fans would be furious. But as the fans are restless that yet another season was hindered by Cam's reliability and the staff not being able to capitalize on a down year for the entire division, he could get away with making changes. I think it's the wrong change, but make no mistake, this owner wants HIS hires in place. I think Rivera is a fine coach. I think he just needed to be allowed to coach his way. Rivera was a defensive guy and the Panthers only success with Cam under center was when they had an above average defense. After the superbowl, they gutted the defense to get Cam "more weapons" and they've been on the steady decline ever since. They desperately need help on both lines more than anything else.

I've read and listened to different opinions than that on Allen, including saying he should have stayed the starter weeks ago even if Newton had been fully healthy. Their owner knows they need a full rebuild and is one of the reasons they struggled this year, even "if" they get rid of Newton and piss off half their fan base, Allen is plenty young enough, had his moments early on, and it may come down to the new staff, who without Newton could even draft their own guy. I read alot of things calling Grier a "nice down the road back up qb" Allen at least is already that, so literally it will be a matter of a staff or staffers opinion possibly if he ever gets his fair shot there, unless the owner is one who thinks he knows stuff. Either way, not just the result, but the process should be interesting to see how it's gone about

Is Cam Newton a franchise QB?

Cam Newton has been the face of the Panthers franchise for nearly a decade. Since being drafted first overall in 2011, he’s won an MVP award, accounted for 240 regular-season touchdowns, and brought the organization to its second Super Bowl. Doubling as a supremely talented passer and the most dangerous red zone rusher at any position in the NFL, Newton has been the driving force behind Carolina’s offense. He is, without question, the most important player in the franchise’s 25-year history. Which is why it’s so hard to imagine that at just 30 years old, his days in Carolina might be numbered.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/9/26/20884805/five-timelines-cam-newton-future-carolina-panthers

Personally I think we find out if Carolina keeps Cam or not depending on how Grier shows talent in the NFL as a starter.

Is Cam Newton a franchise QB?

Cam Newton has been the face of the Panthers franchise for nearly a decade. Since being drafted first overall in 2011, he’s won an MVP award, accounted for 240 regular-season touchdowns, and brought the organization to its second Super Bowl. Doubling as a supremely talented passer and the most dangerous red zone rusher at any position in the NFL, Newton has been the driving force behind Carolina’s offense. He is, without question, the most important player in the franchise’s 25-year history. Which is why it’s so hard to imagine that at just 30 years old, his days in Carolina might be numbered.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/9/26/20884805/five-timelines-cam-newton-future-carolina-panthers

Personally I think we find out if Carolina keeps Cam or not depending on how Grier shows talent in the NFL as a starter.

Cam is a talent, but his accuracy has always been a hindrance. Drew Brees and Tom Brady have none of his athletic ability, but quickly being able to read a defense and consistently putting the ball where you want cures all those ills. Cam also showed lack of discipline. Sulking like a child when chips were down. He had no problem diving into hits from linebackers when it was for a touchdown that he could then do a self aggrandizing dance or superman pose. Yet when it was for his own fumble with the Superbowl on the line, he suddenly cares about not getting hurt.

Cam Newton just wasn't the type of guy who could put the whole team on his back and win a Superbowl. And that's not a diss, it's just a fact as currently only maybe Brady, Brees, and Rodgers are those type of players. Problem is the Panthers tried to treat him as such, sacrificing line play and defense to "put weapons around" Cam and it resulted in a steady decline from the Superbowl season.

3 of 8 seasons Cam has had with the Panthers have been derailed by his injuries which includes the last 2 consecutively. All of Carolina's eggs are in the Newton basket as the Colts were with Peyton Manning. Team went as the QB position went. Even when Cam won the MVP, his passing stats were not all that great. Without the running threat, Cam has not proven to be an effective QB and Cam's style is that of a bruising runner. All that to say he is closer to a 30 year old running back than to a quarterback when evaluating his prospects of health going forward.

Overall, I think Cam needed to be part of a team and not THE team. Whether that didn't happen due to his personality or the coaches/owner foisting that mantle onto him, I don't know. But moving forward, Cam is an injury liability if he keeps playing his style and is unproven when he can't. Hence, I don't think its unreasonable for the ownership to question if the future of the franchise is served better without him. If it were me, I'd trade him while there is still a market since I think the risks of keeping him outweigh the gains. Unless the Panthers see a Lamar Jackson steal late in this draft, new coach and owner could address the huge O-line problem and defense this off season. Bring in a vet back-up like Keenum to help Allen/Grier and see if the QB position really is too weak after shoring up the more glaring deficiencies. Then, if they draft a QB, the poor bastard won't be walking into an Andrew Luck situation and will be better poised to succeed.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
ADVERTISEMENT