ADVERTISEMENT

Rob King and Warren Baker talking Pens Hockey

Euell

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
During Mountaineer basketball telecast on Root Sports today Warren Baker was talking about the wraparound goal Malkin netted against SJ the other night. I didn't know Bake was a hockey fan.
Let's Go Pens! Win one for Toronto Eers who is now in the house in LA with his WVU cap on!

Well gents...we climbed back into it after being badly outplayed in the 1st but to little to late I guess eh?

I will say Staples Center is probably the most unique hockey crowd I have ever seen lol...beach bums mixed in with biker types and wouldn't ya know it Pat Sajack (sp?) sitting along the glass! I would estimate several thousand Pens fans at the game today? Didn't expect such a large turnout but was very happy to see it...not sure how many were tourists on vacation or ex pats from W Pa area?
That WV hat garnered me attention from 2 groups of WV grads wearing theirs Pens gear in our section! The one fella turned around and gave me the high five , showing me the Flying WV symbol on his phone.
All in all it was a great day win or lose...got to see Sid pot his goal in the 3rd about 10 ft from my face so there's nothing wrong with that! The Kings faithful were friendly, and noticeably less vocal than the fans in Pittsburgh I would say...
As for the game it was awfully apparent that Kessel if he WAS in shape has fallen out of it, or perhaps plays only when he sees opportunity staring him in the face...I typically dont like to criticize the players too much but at his pricetag and ice time he MUST do better...Flower really held us in at the start but ya had to know eventually they'd get to him....just my 2 cents...what did you fellas think?

Off to dinner in Redondo Beach and a walk on the pier...yes win or lose life is good!:wink:

Well gents...we climbed back into it after being badly outplayed in the 1st but to little to late I guess eh?

I will say Staples Center is probably the most unique hockey crowd I have ever seen lol...beach bums mixed in with biker types and wouldn't ya know it Pat Sajack (sp?) sitting along the glass! I would estimate several thousand Pens fans at the game today? Didn't expect such a large turnout but was very happy to see it...not sure how many were tourists on vacation or ex pats from W Pa area?
That WV hat garnered me attention from 2 groups of WV grads wearing theirs Pens gear in our section! The one fella turned around and gave me the high five , showing me the Flying WV symbol on his phone.
All in all it was a great day win or lose...got to see Sid pot his goal in the 3rd about 10 ft from my face so there's nothing wrong with that! The Kings faithful were friendly, and noticeably less vocal than the fans in Pittsburgh I would say...
As for the game it was awfully apparent that Kessel if he WAS in shape has fallen out of it, or perhaps plays only when he sees opportunity staring him in the face...I typically dont like to criticize the players too much but at his pricetag and ice time he MUST do better...Flower really held us in at the start but ya had to know eventually they'd get to him....just my 2 cents...what did you fellas think?

Off to dinner in Redondo Beach and a walk on the pier...yes win or lose life is good!:wink:
Kessel had two excellent opportunities to score and missed the net completely. In retrospect, I would rather have seen Malkin shoot the first one, but you can't fault him for the excellent setup. Man, Lucic sure blew by Kessel on the empty netter! Kessel looked like he was skating in mud.
I thought maybe I saw you a couple of times, but could not tell for sure. You should have worn the red Crosby Canadian Jersey!
I thought the energy was good, especially after going down 4-1. You sure saw a lot of action on your end in the 2nd. Too bad is was all LA. MAF made a couple of excellent saves there, eh?
Glad you had a good time. Better than watching DH blow a game against KSU on the tube.

I only watched periodically after the Mountaineers came on and after they went down 2-0......next time I changed the channel, the score was 4-2. But, Matt Cullen, in particular, was clearly incensed after the game, saying there was no excuse for the team not being ready to play.

After t's comments about Kessel, it's hard NOT to wonder if he's one of Cullen's complaints. I myself always thought PK's reputation in Toronto.....though excessively melodramatic......probably came about fairly honestly; so the Pens should have known ahead of time the kind of part time guy he was going to be.

I have no clue what they're going to have against Anaheim.....though they typically play the Ducks pretty well.

ADVERTISEMENT