ADVERTISEMENT

Riddle me this

While I won't engage in shaming, I will say he's a little unseasoned looking for a historic athletic department and state flagship university with a national brand, but guessing Gee doesn't feel WVU is high enough caliber to deserve a proven commodity.

Was he the first choice?
If he was it shouldnt have take 16 days I figure. Alsop said they talked to a lot of different people about the state of the program, so I assume they probably made some other offers. The problem with getting someone with a bigger name, is this thing was mismanaged so badly, any AD hired has a huge mess on his hands for at least his first season. Lyons crying on the radio and pointing fingers may have hurt a little too. In fact I wouldnt put it past Lyons to try to reach out to Baker to cry some more. What a butthurt weenie.

Reactions: mountaineermaniac34
If he was it shouldnt have take 16 days I figure. Alsop said they talked to a lot of different people about the state of the program, so I assume they probably made some other offers. The problem with getting someone with a bigger name, is this thing was mismanaged so badly, any AD hired has a huge mess on his hands for at least his first season. Lyons crying on the radio and pointing fingers may have hurt a little too. In fact I wouldnt put it past Lyons to try to reach out to Baker to cry some more. What a butthurt weenie.
I guess the hiring of Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark was a big mess as well. Used the same search committee.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
I guess the hiring of Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark was a big mess as well. Used the same search committee.
I would say the options of the search committee presented were very strong and I’m not saying Wren isn’t strong. But it appears that fundraising was the biggest contributor to their search, IF and a BIG IF, he was the first choice.

Hey, fundraising might be the biggest thing that we need right now especially with name image and likeness taking over college sports. Having a younger guy in charge could be the way to go. Either way, the Times they are a changing.

I would say the options of the search committee presented were very strong and I’m not saying Wren isn’t strong. But it appears that fundraising was the biggest contributor to their search, IF and a BIG IF, he was the first choice.

Hey, fundraising might be the biggest thing that we need right now especially with name image and likeness taking over college sports. Having a younger guy in charge could be the way to go. Either way, the Times they are a changing.
Well stated.

Fundraising is definitely something we need to get a lot better at. That is definitely a big part of things especially with the NIL now. Taking over 2 weeks to hire him, I would guess they offered someone else before him, but its just a guess. Whoever was going to come in, knows they are coming in with a big mess to fix. Established P5 AD's would probably not see that as appealing. Wren is climbing the ladder though, and had reached the point where the next logical move was a jump to a P5 school, based on his previous success.

Who knows how he will turn out but I like what I see so far. I've watched 3 of his interviews from North Texas and he is definitely a very smart dude, and he really seems to make it a priority to keep his finger on the pulse of the fan base, so he is not clueless, like Shane obviously was. His big test will be how he handles Brown and the future HC at WVU. Sadly we have to wait for that. But as it is now, welcome to WVU Wren Baker. I'll get on board.

While I won't engage in shaming, I will say he's a little unseasoned looking for a historic athletic department and state flagship university with a national brand, but guessing Gee doesn't feel WVU is high enough caliber to deserve a proven commodity.
This guy is a great hire since WVU is on par with Davis & Elkins (if you listen too long to Buckethead and True Gold & Blue CFE). Only way to go is up.

Does anybody you actually know, and I mean actually know and not something that has been rumored, exactly how the trust works?

[/URL]
Country Roads Trust helps student-athletes by establishing NIL donation memberships and securing sponsorship deals, assuring WVU athletics attracts the very best talent.

Country Roads Trust has the backing of an elite Athlete Advisory Team that consists of storied WVU sports legends Jerry West, Don Nehlen, Pat White, Darryl Talley, Da’Sean Butler, Mike Gansey, Ginny Thrasher, Pat McAfee, Jaida Lawrence Hart and Jedd Gyorko.

ADVERTISEMENT