ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Rod to Virginia Tech?

Before the Pitt. game in 2007 he could have ran for governor of WV with me as his pr man and won it. Didn't stop him from looking elsewhere and submarining WVU on his way out the door. So if you think ol RR is worried about his public perception or the damage he will leave behind think again. If he thinks it's a step up in pay and prestige he will most likely take the job.
VTech and the ACC is not a step up from Arizona, and there is nothing in Blacksburg but that school. They'd have to give him a big boost in pay to go there, and Arizona would fight to keep him.

A RR thread never disappoints. Always good for 2 pages eventually.

As to why many people in WV still pine for RR, its because while he was coach here there was a national buzz in and around the program. Whether you like him or not, the best run ever at WVU football was with RR. We were a heartbeat away from a NC, not just the game, a NC. I think we destroy OSU if we played them and LSU doesn't even get a shot if we don't lose to Pitt.

I don't want him back with everything that happened but its really easy to understand his allure and where it comes from.

Have you been to Blacksburg? Maybe the pay would be an increase, but Tucson is stunning, warm and in a great conference. Blackburg is depressing and in a great basketball conference.

Personally, I don't think there's any amount of money that could make me move from Tucson to Blacksburg, especially if I was already making a couple million per year in Tucson...

Reactions: CT Mountaineer
Personally, I don't think there's any amount of money that could make me move from Tucson to Blacksburg, especially if I was already making a couple million per year in Tucson...
I believe the part you guys keep missing is that Rich would like to move back closer to his family in this region. He's going to make a lot of money either way and he's still far more familiar with this area than anywhere else.

I believe the part you guys keep missing is that Rich would like to move back closer to his family in this region. He's going to make a lot of money either way and he's still far more familiar with this area than anywhere else.
I admit - I don't spend much time thinking about what Rich would like. I believe the part you are missing is that I think Blacksburg is a shithole, actually probably a perfect place for him. Tucson would be an even better place without him.

If that's his goal, then I could see him making the move. I'm looking at it if it was me, I'd stay in the nice weather and fly back to visit family or fly them out to see me.

I admit - I don't spend much time thinking about what Rich would like. I believe the part you are missing is that I think Blacksburg is a shithole, actually probably a perfect place for him. Tucson would be an even better place without him.
My bad, I thought the thread about Richard and what he would do and not you. I'm slow at times.

Does anyone know that Rich actually wants to move back east or is everyone just assuming? Blacksburg is a shit hole, and VT is at best a lateral move from Zona.

. . . . . .

According to WVU insiders, Babcock and Rodriguez have a “close relationship.” The dream scenario for many West Virginia fans was for Babcock to return as athletics director, and in turn he would bring back Rodriguez as head coach.

As far as the Rodriguez to Virginia Tech rumors, if you are a reader of our TSL Pass Subscriber board, you know that we’ve been referring to him as a candidate for Tech whenever Frank Beamer decides to retire. We’ve heard that there is mutual interest on both sides, and that would make sense considering the fact that Babcock and Rodriguez seem to work so well together. It’s doubtful that there has been an in-person meeting between the two, but if they are as close as many WVU insiders contend, it would certainly not be surprising if they had discussed the situation in passing.

. . . . . .

http://virginiatech.sportswar.com/free-content/2015/04/20/tsl-poll-virginia-tech-and-rich-rodriguez/

"Dream scenario for many WVU fans"? Lmao! I know a lot of WVU fans and not a one wants Ricky Rod back. As a matter of fact most say that if he does return they'll stop donating money and buying tickets. As for VT I hope he goes. It would ensure he'll never coach here again.

"Dream scenario for many WVU fans"? Lmao! I know a lot of WVU fans and not a one wants Ricky Rod back. As a matter of fact most say that if he does return they'll stop donating money and buying tickets. As for VT I hope he goes. It would ensure he'll never coach here again.
I know a lot including me who would want him back

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
What I find amazing is that I made a post about this a$$ that was pure conjecture and a post asking a serious question about our recruiting this year. This post has 53 replies. Recruiting? None...

Says volumes about the people who participate in this board. Yes, I'm talking to you...

Just sayin.

Too many base their assumptions on "that's what I would do." False.
Rich will always take care of Rich (and Rita). He's gone from WVU to Michigan to Arizona. Is returning to somewhere nearer family in West Virginia so ridiculous, now that Rich has proven that he CAN win somewhere other than WVU and Michigan has proven that it could lose without Rich?

I wish him well, at Arizona or Virginia Tech, except when his teams play WVU. Then I hope we squash his guys. Not because Rich is coaching but because that means my alma mater is winning big.

Really? You obviously need better friends. Lol! Seriously though I do hope Ricky Rod goes to Vag Tech as it would kill a lot of Rod lovers on here.
Yup . I bet you know some of these ppl

Nice exaggeration though . It's gonna be funny if he does return . True fans will stick with the program

Nice exaggeration though . It's gonna be funny if he does return . True fans will stick with the program

Lol! Don't question my fandom dude. Being born and raised in Motown I've been cheering for and going to Mountaineer games far before you knew what football was. Some of us have pride and don't take kindly to someone who bad mouths the program and tries to sabotage it on his way out. I think as a state and a university we deserve better. But thee will always be the Rod cuckold gang for guys like you.

My bad, I thought the thread about Richard and what he would do and not you. I'm slow at times.
Let's face it... all the folks in the Administration he dumped on are gone, so you never know what the current folks running things here would do if he were to ever attempt to come back. Blacksburg... that's another story. I can't imagine anybody wanting to live there except to get closer to a family so, yeah... there is that.

Rich is a good tactical coach once his system gets in place... Michigan should have waited another year or so, but he is also a hot head and insubordinate... a loose cannon for his superiors and unpredictable. I know VTech has tanked under Beamer, but would they take a chance on RichRod? I would bet they would.

If one's daughter decided to get back together with her abusive boyfriend, it wouldn't mean that she was no longer loved, but it would definitely throw a damper on family get togethers. For self-esteem alone we should not be looking at Rich again. WVU has a pretty decent program and could attract a coach that would not immediately alienate half the fanbase. But, wait we already have a coach who alienates half the fanbase so,,, nevermind.

If one's daughter decided to get back together with her abusive boyfriend, it wouldn't mean that she was no longer loved, but it would definitely throw a damper on family get togethers. For self-esteem alone we should not be looking at Rich again. WVU has a pretty decent program and could attract a coach that would not immediately alienate half the fanbase. But, wait we already have a coach who alienates half the fanbase so,,, nevermind.
FWIW I would guess no more than 20% of would be "alienated" by him coming back.

Vernon,

I believe the number would be slightly higher than that. I know I'd quit immediately. I also know the folks that I go to games with, tailgate with, and sit with who have had the same 10 seats on The 50 pb side since the stadium moved from downtown would drop all support immediately. This group also purchases probably 40 other season tickets minimum for Football in a year for others in the group.

Btw many in the group arent big fans of Dana. For me I actually like Dana. He kisses no ones back side and has a "I could care less what you think of me" attitude.

It is kind of ironic with the guy I get my seats from. He likes Beilein like no one else, and would welcome him back (not his wife though) in a heartbeat.

Honestly though I don't think I'm or anybody is ever going to make that choice. DICK is still behind Obama in approval rating in the state of WV. That's according to every poll I've ever seen.

Reactions: BackpageNews
Vernon,

I believe the number would be slightly higher than that. I know I'd quit immediately. I also know the folks that I go to games with, tailgate with, and sit with who have had the same 10 seats on The 50 pb side since the stadium moved from downtown would drop all support immediately. This group also purchases probably 40 other season tickets minimum for Football in a year for others in the group.

Btw many in the group arent big fans of Dana. For me I actually like Dana. He kisses no ones back side and has a "I could care less what you think of me" attitude.

It is kind of ironic with the guy I get my seats from. He likes Beilein like no one else, and would welcome him back (not his wife though) in a heartbeat.

Honestly though I don't think I'm or anybody is ever going to make that choice. DICK is still behind Obama in approval rating in the state of WV. That's according to every poll I've ever seen.
One thing to keep in mind, for every three people that tell you they won't be back if Rich was the coach, only one would actually do it. Another funny thing I've seen people on the two boards here say they won't support Rich and then when I talk to them in person they admit that they would.

Hit the button too quick.

As I was saying. I love West Virginia, West Virginia University, West Virginia University sports, & WVSports.com, but I guess I'd. Be looking for other activities to occupy my time if they hired dick back. I think Dana will be successful so I think it's all speculation for nothing.

I understand that there's a new Mexican restaurant in Morgantown. If Rich wants to move back to the area, he could get a job bussing tables there. They would be glad to have another Rodriguez on the payroll.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT