ADVERTISEMENT

Richardson's offer pulled by WVU

Unacceptable. But what do you expect from a coach who supports kids leaving their teammates for a bowl game, looks like a bum on the sideline - this just fits the pattern.

It’s not like they will recruit a bunch of out of state kids that are better. The ratio of out of state recruits playing and helping here at WVU is 50% or below. Out of state is 50/50 hit or miss if that. Actually more like 60% miss bust.

It’s not like they will recruit a bunch of out of state kids that are better. The ratio of out of state recruits playing and helping here at WVU is 50% or below. Out of state is 50/50 hit or miss if that. Actually more like 60% miss bust.
If you're going to quote statistics (as if you are totally accurate with them) then it would be appropriate for you to take recruiting classes for 5 or more consecutive years and show the 60% busts (by name) to which you refer.I know Kennan provides some such data so gathering it should not be a major task. I, too, hope we get back in with the Huntington linemen, but they have to develop some 'WVPride' in the State and our University. Anyone can offer and offer and offer to buy that wonderful house on the beautiful piece of land across town but you ONLY have a chance to get it if the owner is interested in selling. I;m confident that you would be distressed if the wife were constantly reminding you that she wanted THAT house and made it widely known that she considered you a horrid failure in not getting it for her.
Richardson wants to play WR (as I read in numerous posts). The staff feel he is better fitted for defense. Best to not sign one who will be unhappy and, potential, create more problems than create solutions. The Martinsburg kid, apparently, still has grade issues! SO, why not shut up, lay off the staff and allow them to do their jo without the incessant back seat driving from those, very likely, inept and unqualified to perform the tasks themselves.

Unacceptable. But what do you expect from a coach who supports kids leaving their teammates for a bowl game, looks like a bum on the sideline - this just fits the pattern.
What’s Dana supposed to do? Physically force Grier and Cajuste to play? Be realistic. This is a problem all schools are facing with these millennial kids today. As Nick Saban said, “We created this” while emphasizing the “We told ya so” when everyone wanted a 4 team playoff. It has diminished the importance of other bowls.

This might be part of the football scene everywhere , but this still bothers me every time I see it. Amir did the right thing, he brushed aside other suitors and said I'm stay'in home, Wvu is the place for me. We extended an offer and it was accepted. In my world that is breach of contract, in college football, it oops we made a mistake. In the future, measure twice, cut once.
Life's tough.

This might be part of the football scene everywhere , but this still bothers me every time I see it. Amir did the right thing, he brushed aside other suitors and said I'm stay'in home, Wvu is the place for me. We extended an offer and it was accepted. In my world that is breach of contract, in college football, it oops we made a mistake. In the future, measure twice, cut once.
It’s business. Plain and simple. We can all praise college football for amateurism all we want, it’s really just a business. Grier sitting out is representative of a player recognizing this for what it is. WVU being selective in recruiting is also a sound business decision.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
This same tactic was used by Maryland with Steve Slaton......worked well for them and that 3-star player that wasn't D-1.......[eyeroll]

So what are Richardsons measurables? What's his 40 time? How tall is he? Is there a reason we don't think he can play wide receiver?

Not a breach of contract in any world, even your own.

That's a relief. Is because one party is a minor
In my world verbal contracts are real. Offer made and accepted with consideration in a agreed time. In Ncaa the way it it structured a " verbal " is not a contract because it is between the coach and player and not the AD . So a player or a school that think they have any enforceable gain are mistaken, until signing day, then both can breach with very little penalty. You were right and I was wrong. But I strongly believe that upon a verbal the school and player should be locked in. Player injured playing should still have scholarship, that would not count against numbers,etc,,,Players should complete their contract ..Up to and including bowl games. Either both are giving their word or not.

These are awesome numbers. Ok, so answer me this. How many WV in state kid in the last 15 years led the team in a productive statistic? Give you a hint, it rhymes with Hero.

Last WV qb to start... Chad Johnston
Last WV rb to start... Robert Walker
Last WV wr to contribute... Seth Abraham

I will give you one thing, WV does well with defense guys.

That's a relief. Is because one party is a minor

In my world verbal contracts are real. Offer made and accepted with consideration in a agreed time. In Ncaa the way it it structured a " verbal " is not a contract because it is between the coach and player and not the AD . So a player or a school that think they have any enforceable gain are mistaken, until signing day, then both can breach with very little penalty. You were right and I was wrong. But I strongly believe that upon a verbal the school and player should be locked in. Player injured playing should still have scholarship, that would not count against numbers,etc,,,Players should complete their contract ..Up to and including bowl games. Either both are giving their word or not.

Well sorry.

I will send your wish list to the North Pole.

We cant force anyone to do anything. All we can do is dismiss someone from the team, which is common. The players who are not playing in the bowl game have left the team. Their scholarship will not be renewed next year. That's the penalty. It doesnt matter because they are professional athletes or no longer have eligibility.

The contracts you keep harping about are simply grants in aid. They can be withdrawn, forfeited, ect.

In your world verbal contracts are broken the same exact way.

Last edited:
These are awesome numbers. Ok, so answer me this. How many WV in state kid in the last 15 years led the team in a productive statistic? Give you a hint, it rhymes with Hero.

Last WV qb to start... Chad Johnston
Last WV rb to start... Robert Walker
Last WV wr to contribute... Seth Abraham

I will give you one thing, WV does well with defense guys.

The only thing you're leaving out are the instate players who didn't go to WVU and in at least one case was told they weren't good enough

Ryan Switzer
Aaron Dobson - yeah right. That guy had good hands and his head was on til he messed up with the Pats.

And both played in the NFL as did Dewey McDonald who got his scholly ripped from him the night before signing day while WVU had that "jut your jaw, bow your back, my handshake is my contract" Head Coach.

Of lesser fame and success off the top of my head was Corey Jackson who played FB from 06-09 (never red shirted) at Maryland and was a heck of a blocker.

The bottom line is recruiting is as fickle as a high school girl's love interest. There's also a lot of politics and huge misses (see Jahlille Addae as the biggest example of coaches not knowing jack squat about evaluating certain position players).

I wish Richardson well. His dad was a good DLman and a real good guy.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
The only thing you're leaving out are the instate players who didn't go to WVU and in at least one case was told they weren't good enough

Ryan Switzer
Aaron Dobson - yeah right. That guy had good hands and his head was on til he messed up with the Pats.

And both played in the NFL as did Dewey McDonald who got his scholly ripped from him the night before signing day while WVU had that "jut your jaw, bow your back, my handshake is my contract" Head Coach.

Of lesser fame and success off the top of my head was Corey Jackson who played FB from 06-09 (never red shirted) at Maryland and was a heck of a blocker.

The bottom line is recruiting is as fickle as a high school girl's love interest. There's also a lot of politics and huge misses (see Jahlille Addae as the biggest example of coaches not knowing jack squat about evaluating certain position players).

I wish Richardson well. His dad was a good DLman and a real good guy.

I've asked for months for someone to provide me a list of all instate kids who became statistical leaders on the offensive side of the ball for the past 15 years.

Switzer lead the ACC in punt returning categories and obviously UNC. I think his last year he lead UNC in several WR categories.

I know Dobson lead Marshall in several WR categories and his qbs were not Geno Smith in terms of arm.

With Corey Jackson its harder to quantity cause he was a fb and blocking was what he did best. Ironic after Owen Schmitt left (07) WVU had no fb at all so to speak. The irony is WVU went with Morgantown High's Max Anderson a fb who was injured about his entire career (06-09) and passed on University High's Corey Jackson (06-09) who started as a true freshman at Maryland. So much for experts as coaches.

I agree defense has been much better for instate players at WVU

Switzer lead the ACC in punt returning categories and obviously UNC. I think his last year he lead UNC in several WR categories.

I know Dobson lead Marshall in several WR categories and his qbs were not Geno Smith in terms of arm.

With Corey Jackson its harder to quantity cause he was a fb and blocking was what he did best. Ironic after Owen Schmitt left (07) WVU had no fb at all so to speak. The irony is WVU went with Morgantown High's Max Anderson a fb who was injured about his entire career (06-09) and passed on University High's Corey Jackson (06-09) who started as a true freshman at Maryland. So much for experts as coaches.

I agree defense has been much better for instate players at WVU
I could be wrong but I remember it this way: Jackson was offered at WVU and committed to Maryland, and Addae decommitted when his brother went as a grad assistant with RR to Michigan.

This is really dumb. If you want to bash Holgorsen over recruiting in WV then you should be bashing him on failing to land the state's top three prospects.

I could be wrong but I remember it this way: Jackson was offered at WVU and committed to Maryland, and Addae decommitted when his brother went as a grad assistant with RR to Michigan.

No I think you remember that wrong. I followed recruiting more closely back then and in Addae's case I know what happened.

As for Jackson, they, meaning WVU wanted Corey Jackson to take the promise scholly and be a preferred walk on. This was under Dick. They went with Max Anderson over Jackson. Anderson was never healthy at WVU. Jackson was never injured at Maryland.

As for Addae, that was a screw job that was F$&@ing embarrassing given how hard his brother played. Jahlille was set to enroll in January (as his brother Jahmille was a GA at WVU). Jahlille was actually on his way to WVU and his scholarship got revoked at worst (thank you Bill Stewart and the other DICK Holiday) or he was to be grey shirted at best (still a last minute screw job). The guy was in NC I think when he found out he didn't have a scholly waiting on him.

As for Jahmille going to Michigan, that was only after his brothers scholly got ripped. He was asked to go by Dick early on and told him "No I'm staying at WVU. I want to stay here. This is where I went to school and I want to be here." After the scholly got took, he was irate. He called Dick and ask if he could still come. Dick said yes and he then called Butch Jones to get Jahlille a scholly at CMU. Jahmille actually got more $$$$ to be a GA at Michigan. I can't stand Rodriguez but I'll give him credit on that one. He was better than the 26505 was.

ADVERTISEMENT