ADVERTISEMENT

Republican mega-donor says it's time to 'move on' from Trump and backs DeSantis for 2024

30CAT

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Williamstown, WV
I agree. I prefer DeSantis over Trump...However, if Trump is the nominee, I'll 100% be voting for Trump.

LINK: GOP mega-donor Ken Griffin said it is time for the Republican Party to move on from former President Donald Trump and look toward a new party leader.

Griffin said in an interview with Politico that he supported the Trump administration's fiscal policies, but that he believes the party should gravitate toward other GOP stars.

"He did a lot of things really well and missed the mark on some important areas," Griffin said. "And for a litany of reasons, I think it's time to move on to the next generation."

Trump has repeatedly hinted that he would pursue another run for the White House in 2024, including at a campaign rally Saturday in Pennsylvania where he was stumping for Senate candidate Dr. Mehmet Oz and gubernatorial candidate Doug Mastriano.

"Everybody, I promise you, in the very next — very, very, very short period of time, you’re going to be happy," Trump said. "But first we have to win a historic victory for Republicans on Nov. 8."

Griffin, the CEO of the investment firm Citadel, is a supporter of Florida Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, whose name has also been floated as a potential 2024 presidential candidate.

The businessman admitted he opposed some of DeSantis' moves as governor, including flying migrants to Martha's Vineyard and revoking Disney World's special tax status over the company's opposition to Florida's Parental Rights in Education law.

"I have no qualms with the very public fight, but the revocation of Disney's special tax district felt like retribution," Griffin said.

Still, Griffin believes the governor has a "tremendous record" and that U.S. would be "well-served" by a DeSantis presidency. Griffin was the leading donor to DeSantis’ 2022 re-election campaign, donating $5 million.

"Would I support him? The bigger question is, is he going to run? That bridge has to be crossed," he said.

The comments about DeSantis come after Trump took a shot at the Florida governor just days before the midterm elections, referring to him as "Ron DeSanctimonious."

Griffin had said last year that he would not support Trump if the former president decided to run again.

"I think it’s time for America to move on," Griffin told Bloomberg TV last year, adding that Trump is "pointlessly divisive."

Griffin spent more than $60 million in support of Republican candidates this election cycle and has a history of spending on conservative candidates and causes. He spent the same amount of money on GOP candidates in 2020 but did not directly give to Trump's campaign. He did, however, donate $100,000 to the former president's inaugural committee.

The majority of people who vote for Trump could care less what he thinks. I don't see Trump not winning the nomination. So get ready to support him. Hopefully he picks him as his running mate.

I don't see Trump not winning the nomination. So get ready to support him.

If that's the case, I'll one hundred percent be supporting Trump. Unlike @NYC_Eer, I'll truly look at the alternative. If that is Pedo-Joe, Hilliary, Bernie Sanders or Gavin Newsome, Trump is the obvious choice. If Democrats put up someone else and I don't know them that well, I'll do my my homework on the candidate, as any responsible voter should, before I make a decision.

Reactions: Gunny46
There is no way the Democrats could nominate anyone I would consider because that person would have to be opposed to every plank of the Democrat platform for me to support him. I think all conservatives should understand that.

Reactions: Gunny46
There is no way the Democrats could nominate anyone I would consider because that person would have to be opposed to every plank of the Democrat platform for me to support him. I think all conservatives should understand that.

You shouldn't have to be a conservative to understand this. The New Democrat Party is made up of liberal elites and Neo-Marxist that hate you and only want to use your vote to keep power.

Reactions: 30CAT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT