ADVERTISEMENT

Report: FBS attendance drops to lowest mark since 1996

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009
http://footballscoop.com/news/report-fbs-attendance-drops-lowest-mark-since-1996/

An average of 41,856 fans attended FBS games in 2018, according to NCAA data obtained by Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports, the lowest figure since 1996. Attendance fell less than one percent (just under 350 fans per game) from 2017, but 2017 represented the biggest year-to-year drop in 34 years.

To be sure, there are many factors to this.

Realignment is one of them. In the Big Ten, for example, Rutgers plays in a 52,000-seat stadium it does not come close to filling, which brings the league’s average down. The nature of realignment dictates that leagues fill downward; ten schools have moved from FCS to FBS since 2012.

Stadiums are getting smaller as well. USC is in the midst of dropping LA Coliseum’s capacity from 93,000 to 77,500, to pick an extreme example.

But the fact of the matter is fewer fans are attending college football games than previously did. An all-time high of 38,135,118 fans watched college football games in 2013, and 36.7 million did so in 2018, according to CBS Sports. A record 46,971 fans attended games in 2008, compared to the reported figure of 41,856 in 2018.

That isn’t to say interest in college football is going down, however. More than 25 million people watched the national championship game on TV.

“We’re competing more than ever before against the television product we helped create,” Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told CBS Sports. “There’s no line at the restroom, the beer is always cold [at home]. You don’t have to invest 8 hours going to the stadium. There’s no parking fees. You don’t have to pay seat license, and on your 70-inch TV it’s a pretty good viewing experience.”

Given that the figures have gone one way for the past two years, it’s time for coaches and administrators to accept college football’s new normal if they haven’t done so already.

Read the full report here.

I would think that ticket prices and prices at the concession stands would be a contributing factor too. Not to mention hotels and motels doubling or tripling their rates and requiring two or three night stays on game weekends. And then there's game day traffic and overpriced parking to deal with. It's just too easy to sit at home and get a better view of the game on a HD big screen TV, and much more affordable.

I would think that ticket prices and prices at the concession stands would be a contributing factor too. Not to mention hotels and motels doubling or tripling their rates and requiring two or three night stays on game weekends. And then there's game day traffic and overpriced parking to deal with. It's just too easy to sit at home and get a better view of the game on a HD big screen TV, and much more affordable.

Also 3D instant replay.

Costs to attend games are absurd.

Our last hotel stay during game day was nearly $300, and they didnt even provide a shuttle to the stadium.....

Factor in the time cost, its hard to justify the expense. The game day experience at WVU is a great one, so I will give credit where credit is due, but giving up my whole weekend for a 3 hour football game i can watch on tv, and then still get my grass cut and attend my kids activities is a much more attractive option - plus the only obnoxious drunk I need to deal with is myself.

One of the problems WVU faces is that large portions of its fanbase live out of state, or on the opposite side if the state.

Can't spin this away folks. Over saturation on tv...less interest by youth...soaring costs...way too much entertainment competition...and a big one...general feeling that unless you win every game by a big margin and win it all then you aren't (as a team) worthy of unfettered support. The goose is slowly dying as I have said before. Might be a good thing. Get back to real student athletes, coaches instead of CEO's and stadiums on campus.

The NBA is a thug league that is going to die because no one is watching....oops...nevermind....wrong thread.

All of that was true in years when attendance did NOT go down. Younger generation prefers to look at SmartPhones and watch at home on TV, or in a bar. The same generation that no longer reads newspapers.

All of that was true in years when attendance did NOT go down.

Not true. WVU, for example, was lucky to get a game on TV all year...as was the case with nearly all teams but the few like Notre Dame. If you couldn't be there you had the WAJR flagship broadcast with Jack Fleming to rely on. Not the same at all as today's over saturation on tv. Get your opinion screwed on correctly there FakeSportsWriter.

All of that was true in years when attendance did NOT go down. Younger generation prefers to look at SmartPhones and watch at home on TV, or in a bar. The same generation that no longer reads newspapers.

I'm 37 and stopped reading newspapers. Keep in mind, I was a paper boy for 4 years....34 afternoon daily papers, 53 Sunday morning papers.

During Christmas season I "sold" calendars and paper boxes...made big tips. Made even more money from mowing grass and shoveling snow 4 folks on my route.

People dont read newspapers anymore because the writers are borderline idiots and no one cares what they think.

I trust a Kirby Vacuum salesman more than a local news writer.

Sorry ole pal, but newspapers are like the Pony Express and telegraph wires. No need for either of them anymore with all the technology we have at our fingertips.

Reactions: Charleston Mountie
Not true. WVU, for example, was lucky to get a game on TV all year...as was the case with nearly all teams but the few like Notre Dame. If you couldn't be there you had the WAJR flagship broadcast with Jack Fleming to rely on. Not the same at all as today's over saturation on tv. Get your opinion screwed on correctly there FakeSportsWriter.

I don't know what your beef is with CFE, but it's a fact that he was a newspaper sportswriter for 15 of the 43 years he worked in the newspaper business. He's a big time Mountaineer football fan too, and as of the 2015 season he had attended over 200 straight WVU home football games. There's an article about him that I could link but I won't out of respect for his privacy. I've never met the man, but I now live in his childhood hometown which he still keeps up with to this day, and a lot of my neighbors know him. Give the guy a break, he's here for the same reason the rest of us are.

Newspapers of today print stories without all the facts. It's speed to presses and if they're wrong then say an apology on page 7 with the want ads.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I don't know what your beef is with CFE, but it's a fact that he was a newspaper sportswriter for 15 of the 43 years he worked in the newspaper business.

Besides the fact that he is a fake, a pompous prick, and a world class braggart and self centered loser I'm not sure. Also the fact that his history of stating the obvious and screaming at everyone with his big red font might be a factor too. So, since I actually was in the business at the same time he claims he was I will continue to call him out. Don't read if it bothers you dude.

To go along with attendance, Im just tired of people asking me for money and time....school donations, athletic donations, fundraising campaigns, ect.

I like being helpful but sometimes you just feel like a sucker.

Its not just colleges, the amount of local fundraisers i get approached for...schools, church, youth sports, ect is absurd.

Sorry ole pal, but newspapers are like the Pony Express and telegraph wires. No need for either of them anymore with all the technology we have at our fingertips.
Democracy needs them. There's no one to watch the fox (politicians and businesses) raiding the henhouse and sounding the alarm. Politicians love it when newspaper wither away. So YOU will pay for it, too, in lost rights and priviledges.

Democracy needs them. There's no one to watch the fox (politicians and businesses) raiding the henhouse and sounding the alarm. Politicians love it when newspaper wither away. So YOU will pay for it, too, in lost rights and priviledges.

Ummm....newspapers ARE businesses. They are just like the other foxes.

Newspapers withered because customers no longer found value in them. Current journalism is built on click bait sensationalism. They work on behalf of politicians.

Newspapers always lied.

It is what made America great. That the minds could be controlled so easily but the people thought they were free.

The problem is you have introduced other voices in the room and these voices are challenging the establishment.
But it goes against Make America Great Again.

More correctly...idiots are trying to tear down what has made America great and replace it with a candy ass give me everything society.

Reactions: Wahama78
Money will always be the most important factor in college sports.
If you look at all major rivarlies money played a huge roll.
The old boy network of a bunch of cocks trying to outdo each other went to TV money.
Even before TV money there were superboosters and booster clubs.
Look at Clemson and IPTAY. Been around for almost 100 years.

Schools are going to find more ways to generate revenue to outperform each other.

Money will always be the most important factor in college sports.
If you look at all major rivarlies money played a huge roll.
The old boy network of a bunch of cocks trying to outdo each other went to TV money.
Even before TV money there were superboosters and booster clubs.
Look at Clemson and IPTAY. Been around for almost 100 years.

Schools are going to find more ways to generate revenue to outperform each other.
That would be role not roll lol.

Maybe it was a Freudian slip.
If you ever wonder why Alabama and not say Ole Miss, Georgia or even LSU become the power in the SIAA, SoCon and then SEC you would see the money of RTR.
Had a lot to do with the industrialization of Birmingham and money going to Bama football.
Them playing in the Rose Bowl really changed CFB.

Money is going to increase and schools will look for new ways to outmaneuver their rivals.
If it isn't TV money and realignment it will be something else.

Money doesn't dry up.
Money has been with college football for 125 years.
Fielding Yost and Michigan.
A lot of the money used to create their program came from the auto industry.

Nothing is going to change.

I don't see any proof of this.
Actually I see it going the other way and continuing to go that way.
TV money may dry up. Not going to disagree but something else will supplement TV money.
Unless college athletics loses popularity or this country completely falls in the shitter.
Even if it does people will still care about sports and schools will compete against each other for more revenue.

College athletics is a competition. A lot of schools have used sports at first to show they have better student athletes.
College athletics at its core brings pride to a school's alumni base.
Bigger the name a school has the more value a diploma has.

Allen...no need to argue with Pride/Texas...his/her/its whole life is structured around pretending to be an athlete, know athletics, troll forums with Google "facts", and generally look like a basement dweller. Just sayin'.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Money doesn't dry up.
Money has been with college football for 125 years.
Fielding Yost and Michigan.
A lot of the money used to create their program came from the auto industry.

Nothing is going to change.

It really depends on viewer habits.

The "sit at home and watch football on weekends" crowd has been thinning out. Seems undetermined if younger folks will fill those spaces. From my observation, they dont seem as interested.

The money will go where the consumer goes. Just like any other business.

The competition for entertainment dollars is pretty tough.

Without TV money there is still money in the sport.
TV money didn't determine the difference between let us say MooU and WVU.
What did was the state of West Virginia and the alumni of each university. WVU had more money and power and left MooU in the dust 100+ years ago.

Without TV money there is still money in the sport.
TV money didn't determine the difference between let us say MooU and WVU.
What did was the state of West Virginia and the alumni of each university. WVU had more money and power and left MooU in the dust 100+ years ago.

Well much of that is political.

Right now universities get their paychecks from TV. So if theres a shift in TV habits, and TV money starts shrinking it will be a problem. It might shift to another vehicle, might not.

Football, at all levels has a uncertain future right now. Participation is down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT