ADVERTISEMENT

Really OT. Thanksgiving in NYC

WVUBRU

All-American
Aug 7, 2001
My wife is in the Macy's Thanksgiving parade next week so I'm flying the entire family up. Going to be fun. But the one thing we are struggling with is the best strategy in watching the parade. Anyone have any suggestions from past experiences? I've received a bunch of suggestions already but there isn't anything I feel very sure about.

My wife is in the Macy's Thanksgiving parade next week so I'm flying the entire family up. Going to be fun. But the one thing we are struggling with is the best strategy in watching the parade. Anyone have any suggestions from past experiences? I've received a bunch of suggestions already but there isn't anything I feel very sure about.
Go early (7ish?). They take crowd control seriously and once a zone fills up, they move the barricades back a block and makes it impossible to see. Depending on where your hotel is, stay to the east of the parade route so you can easily make it to Grand Central before the crowds hit it. Last year (2 years ago?) We spotted up around the library/Bryant Park (42nd and 6th) and made a beeline to the trains after.

I've never tried this, but I hear the night before is pretty fun to watch them inflate the balloons/floats/wtf ever they are called.

Reactions: WVUBRU
81-V9UbWD8L._SY450_.jpg

I've known a few people that have been in the parade (did the balloons) and they've said that the crowds are insane, from beginning to end. Crowds go back deep on cross streets, crowds are slightly less though at the start of the parade route.

Reactions: WVUBRU
Go early (7ish?). They take crowd control seriously and once a zone fills up, they move the barricades back a block and makes it impossible to see. Depending on where your hotel is, stay to the east of the parade route so you can easily make it to Grand Central before the crowds hit it. Last year (2 years ago?) We spotted up around the library/Bryant Park (42nd and 6th) and made a beeline to the trains after.

I've never tried this, but I hear the night before is pretty fun to watch them inflate the balloons/floats/wtf ever they are called.
Thanks and yes we are going on Wed night to watch the floats being blown up.

Most places will let you use the facilities.....provided you're a customer (Starbucks, Duane Reed, etc). That's probably better for the subway lines if you get stuck.
Didn't Starbucks change that to if you just smell bad you can use the facilities?

I’ve been twice. First time was great, wasn’t super crowded and we managed to walk up about an hour prior to be on the 2nd row.

Did it again a couple years ago, further north toward Central Park is it was a mad-house. None of us enjoyed it at all due to the large, very rude crowds.

You might think about purchasing some parade tickets to avoid the chaos or try further south down the parade route. Some hotels and stores have parade views too.

Have fun, we enjoyed checking out the displays at Macy’s and other stores, not to mention the great food choices.

I’ve been twice. First time was great, wasn’t super crowded and we managed to walk up about an hour prior to be on the 2nd row.

Did it again a couple years ago, further north toward Central Park is it was a mad-house. None of us enjoyed it at all due to the large, very rude crowds.

You might think about purchasing some parade tickets to avoid the chaos or try further south down the parade route. Some hotels and stores have parade views too.

Have fun, we enjoyed checking out the displays at Macy’s and other stores, not to mention the great food choices.
Thanks. We have VIP tickets in the stands right on 34th watching what you see on TV for most of the family. Probably me and one other will have to make do. We are staying on 30th so I'm thinking of trying Bryant Park as a few others also suggested it.

Reactions: MOUNTIE IN MD
Take a pressure cooker to sit on, very comfortable...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT