ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic Conference Expansion Scenarios

MotownNative1

Freshman
Sep 29, 2011
For WVU's sake, I really hope there is further expansion to the east in the B12. Our athletes in all sports cannot continue the extensive travel without having a negative impact on academic performance and issues in their personal lives.

What is the realistic expansion scenarios for the B12? Is there a real possibility that the B12 picks up 2-3 teams from the ACC? If the answer is "yes" to the ACC question, here is what I expect and hope happens: The B12 goes to 16 teams; adds Clemson, FSU, and Miami from the ACC and adds UC, UCONN, and USF from the former Big East. I know adding UC and USF doesn't add TV $, but is this still a possibility considering the $ brought in by adding the three ACC schools and UCONN (NY market)?

Adding these six schools would make WVU's road schedule more reasonable and still make lots of $ for the B12 and the member schools.

What does everyone think? WVU fans? Other B12 fans?

Recent articles indicated FSU, Clemson and Louisville would be targets if the BIG 12 expands. If UL is in that mix its difficult to understand why they didn't make that move already before they joined the ACC. I'm sure Texas would at least want to make a last play at Notre Dame which will likely either remain independent or probably go towards the Big 10 first.

That would possibly leave Miami and Pittsburgh and a possible NC school, or perhaps Cincy .

Here are some possiblities

BIG 12-12

Texas
OSU
KU
BU
WVU
Clemson

OU
TTech
TCU
K State
Iowa State
FSU

BIG 12-14

Texas
OSU
KU
BU
WVU
Clemson
Miami

OU
TTech
TCU
K State
Iowa State
FSU
Louisville

BIG 12-16

Texas
TTech
TCU
BU

WVU
Clemson
Miami
FSU

OU
K State
OSU
KU

Notre Dame
Pittsburgh
Louisville
Iowa State

Yes, because Miami and FSU are much closer than ISU/KSU/Kansas

This sports year had to be planned in like a 3 month windows. They will figure this thing out to improve our travel situation. You guys need to relax, and understand the B12 and WVU have a MUTUAL interest to improve travel arragement/schedules, but to some degree this first year was a learning experience for everyone.

Expansion isn't just about travel, it's about strengthening the league in relation to its peers in the B1G, SEC and PAC 12.

MotownNative1 understand your approach but the issue for me

with those schools is that we would end up with a lot of former BE schools and we wanted to get away from them for a while.

My preferences for Big 12 would be pitt (just for the Brawl and closeness), FSU, Clemson, Vt. because they are good solid footballs schools and VT is close.

What type of Actual "insider information " do you have to post these truly fanciful ramblings? By and large the ACC is pretty happy just where we are right now. We will soon have our own network, and one team [Texas] will not control it, or everything else in the Conference. We will have Real Across the Board Football [Miami, FSU, Clemson, VT, UNC, ND [5 games/year], real Basketball powers Louisville, UNC,NCS Miami, etc. and unlike some teams in other Conferences' you can speculate on which ones, we pretty much control our own destiny.

Originally posted by drydoc:

What type of Actual "insider information " do you have to post these truly fanciful ramblings? By and large the ACC is pretty happy just where we are right now. We will soon have our own network, and one team [Texas] will not control it, or everything else in the Conference. We will have Real Across the Board Football [Miami, FSU, Clemson, VT, UNC, ND [5 games/year], real Basketball powers Louisville, UNC,NCS Miami, etc. and unlike some teams in other Conferences' you can speculate on which ones, we pretty much control our own destiny.
Unless ACC members come up with millions to buy back rights that ESPN sold to other networks there isn't the slightest possibility of an ACC network--even if ESPN agreed to do it which they have stated is a longshot. The BIG 12 conference as usual is a higher rated top to bottom conference than the smoke and mirrors ACC currently being propped up for signing an exclusive tv deal. The BIG 12 is no more run by UT than the ACC is by UNC and Duke --in fact much less so--so you can also put that fantasy to rest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT