ADVERTISEMENT

Re-watched the game

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
A huge shout out to Vic Koenning for the new defensive scheme rolled out in just one week of preparation. The four man front confused KSU and really limited a very potent KSU running game. We, for the most part, made them pretty one dimensional and employed man on the back end. Another benefit from the 4 man front is that I saw more interrupted plays from Pooler than I have seen before. He was in their backfield a lot, missed a few tackles that would have been sacks, but hurried the KSU QB and finally got his sack. I think he is a much better fit in a 4 man front which limits double teams on him. The Stills brothers were wrecking crews. Played a lot in the KSU backfield. And both Donohue and Jones (I think he is our fastest D-lineman) were active. The effort of the entire D was terrific as exemplified by Donohue going all out near the end of the game to tackle the KSU QB as he was running out of bounds and injuring himself along the way. They gave it everything they had.

Tykee Smith is simply a football player. He was all over the field and is a very good, fundamental tackler. And when his man caught a pass, Tykee was in great position but their QB simply made some great throws. Very sad about Norwood. I know he takes some dumb penalties. But he plays physically and gives it all he has. What a great pick and so sad it ended his season and career.

We have a very, very good D coordinator. Now, just get him some more talent.

Doege managed the game very well for his very first game as a Mountaineer. He was not intimidated and generally played within himself. He greatly benefited from a good rushing attack in the first half. I could not believe the OL actually opened some nice holes in that first half. We desperately need a rushing attack given our youth and inexperience at WR, TE and the fact that we do not have an outstanding QB, who can mask a lot of weaknesses. I thought our WR and TE blocking were much better than in games past.

McCoy and Brown are both good, not great backs. If the OL can open some holes we can have an effective rushing attack with these two guys. I would still love to have a back with both size and burst that can make some people miss. Hopefully, we found just such a RB in Constant.

Campbell has sort of come into his own. He is tall and may be the fastest of our WR's. Both he and James should be able to take the top off of defenses. I hope he gets his 6th year. That would give us a lot of WR options. James was quiet and had another drop. Interesting that he is seeing a counselor and seems to have a confidence issue. Hopefully he can overcome that. But I DO NOT LIKE the fact that WVU chose to make this fact known. It should be private, imo.

I did not think we would win another game. Thankfully, I was wrong. Can we eke out another before the season ends? 5 wins with all the transfers, the injuries, the number of true freshmen playing and without very good QB play is pretty darn good. We have our coach, imo.

The injuries keep piling up but I believe Brown is getting the most out of what he has. Except for the OL, I think the rest of the team is getting the most out of their talent and experience. The OL lacks talent, for sure, but I also think our coaching could be better. I really hope we can somehow find 2-3 guys that can come in and make an immediate impact. Without an OL, we will struggle to win in the Big 12, unless we have a great, great QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.