ADVERTISEMENT

Rational Conference Thread

Pitt4Life34

All-American
Nov 5, 2002
Can we all agree(accept Eers.....he’s exempt for medical/health reasons) that this year is wide open with good teams but few, if any, great teams. It’s obvious to me that there are 5 Conferences that stand above all. Big Ten, Big East, Big12, SEC and ACC. Picking one over the other this year is literally a waste of time. My South bracket got busted by Zona and Tennessee. My West relies on UNC beating Xavier but I have OSU beating Zags. My Midwest has Kansas all the way through by beating Duke. I have Nova beating WVU and Texas Tech beating Purdue but losing to Nova in East. Watched Nova up close today and that team is sick! One thing became obvious to me since Tuesday night. The annual conference turf war about who is best is a complete waste of time this year IMO.

Ok Eers go ahead and tell us how brutal the Big12 is.

Kansas already made the Sweet Sixteen.
West Virginia can join the Jayhawks by beating Marshall, even with Elmore (because we have Jevon).
Texas Tech, a 3 seed, I think, can reach Sweet 16 by beating Florida.
So can Kansas State, which faces University of Maryland-Baltimore County, which made history by being the first 16 seed in history to beat a 1 seed (Virginia!!!, which lost only to WVU and Virginia Tech during the regular season).

If the Big 12 gets 40% of its membership, I think it's safe to say that the Big 12 would be the only conference to have that large a chunk of its membership in the Sweet Sixteen.
Yes, 10 seed Texas lost to 7 seed Nevada, 87-83; 6 seed TCU lost to 11 seed Syracuse, 57-52, a great disappointment; and Oklahoma, a 10 seed, lost to 7 seed Rhode Island, which was sent packing after Round 2.
If the Big 12 gets 40% of its teams in Sweet Sixteen, even Greg Jacobs would have trouble slamming the Big 12 with all that egg on his face.

Did Greg notice that TOFU was swallowed up already?

Kansas already made the Sweet Sixteen.
West Virginia can join the Jayhawks by beating Marshall, even with Elmore (because we have Jevon).
Texas Tech, a 3 seed, I think, can reach Sweet 16 by beating Florida.
So can Kansas State, which faces University of Maryland-Baltimore County, which made history by being the first 16 seed in history to beat a 1 seed (Virginia!!!, which lost only to WVU and Virginia Tech during the regular season).

If the Big 12 gets 40% of its membership, I think it's safe to say that the Big 12 would be the only conference to have that large a chunk of its membership in the Sweet Sixteen.
Yes, 10 seed Texas lost to 7 seed Nevada, 87-83; 6 seed TCU lost to 11 seed Syracuse, 57-52, a great disappointment; and Oklahoma, a 10 seed, lost to 7 seed Rhode Island, which was sent packing after Round 2.
If the Big 12 gets 40% of its teams in Sweet Sixteen, even Greg Jacobs would have trouble slamming the Big 12 with all that egg on his face.

Did Greg notice that TOFU was swallowed up already?

Hahahahaha! The gift that keeps on giving. Ok Eers you win. The Big12 is the best Conference all time and this year is proof. There were only 4 Big12 teams in the round of 32. I know you’re old but read that again please. 4 Big12 teams got past the first round. Sir you embarrass yourself on this site almost every day.

One more time.........step away and try to enjoy some fun hoops. You prove almost every day how little you really know about hoops. What were you writing about all those years? High School girls soccer?

Let's recap: Kansas and Texas Tech already are in the Sweet Sixteen.
West Virginia and Kansas State should be favored to join them on Sunday.
That's 40% of the Big 12 in the Sweet Sixteen?
Any other conference have 40% of its members in the Sweet Sixteen.
By the way, TOFU was swallowed up already and Michigan is fighting for survival against Houston!
Big 12 rules. We can only have 3 in the Final Four because one region didn't have a Big 12 team in it.
You are right. Big 12 IS the best conference in America.
Go cry in your TOFU!

Last edited:
Let's recap: Kansas and Texas Tech already are in the Sweet Sixteen.
West Virginia and Kansas State should be favored to join them on Sunday.
That's 40% of the Big 12 in the Sweet Sixteen?
Any other conference have 40% of its members in the Sweet Sixteen.
By the way, TOFU was swallowed up already and Michigan is fighting for survival against Houston!
Big 12 rules. We can only have 3 in the Final Four because one region didn't have a Big 12 team in it.
You are right. Big 12 IS the best conference in America.
Go cry in your TOFU!

So how long have you been single and lonely if the Big12 is all you think about. I assume you think 4 Sweet16 teams for a conference has never been done LOL. 6 Big12 teams didn’t get a NCAAs win. Pretty obvious to a nonhomer that parity rules college hoops this year. Which means one thing Eers. WVU has a real Natty shot. Do you even care anymore old timer? I would think that’s all you could think about. But instead it’s the Big12 insecurities that you care most about. Weird.

We're talking 2018, not ancient history.
Big 12 got 40% of its member into the Sweet Sixteen, maybe 3 in the Final Four because two Big 12 teams will have to play each other. Big 10 got TWO, 14% of its members. Crawl back in your hole and cry like a baby. Maybe Marshall should be in the Big 10.

Big 12 got 40% of its member into the Sweet Sixteen, maybe 3 in the Final Four because two Big 12 teams will have to play each other. Big 10 got TWO, 14% of its members. Crawl back in your hole and cry like a baby. Maybe Marshall should be in the Big 10.
Big 12 is not going to put 3 teams in the Final Four.

No matter how you look at it that's an impressive showing for a 10 team conference. 25% of the slots won by the B12. The number 1,2,3 and 4 teams in the sweet sixteen. Now let's go mountaineers and beet nova to cap it off.

^^^^^Hey gang here’s your Conference Pride spokesman^^^^^.

So the NCAAs fell into place for the Top 4 teams in The Big12. Everyone has respected Kansas, Texas Tech and WVU all year hence their ranking throughout the year and their seeding at 1,3 and 5. KSU had fortune and luck on their side for sure. They’re average at best. Beating a 16 in a tough last 3 minute game haha. But what happened to your meat grinder argument Eers? The ACC and the SEC had more teams in NCAAs than Big12. PAC12 is in shambles. The Big Ten was down all year and the NCAAs exposed that but those teams are always gamers. The Big East once again is exposed as the one trick pony that it is. The SEC has represented itself well all year including beating the Big12 in their challenge. So now as usual the ACC is competing as the top dog as does the Top 4 of the Big12. The bottom 6 have proved one thing. They aren’t that good. Ok teams but nothing special. The ACC has their 11th and 9th best team in the Sweet16. And they earned it with impressive wins against Michigan St and Xavier. All 4 ACC teams beat Conference Champs to get to Sweet16. They didn’t beat 16 and 13 seeds. No shame in beating those teams but even a homer would rather play a 16 instead of a 1. So it seems the Big12 and the ACC are top dogs this year but your Big12 meat grinder narrative is Jibberish.

^^^^^^^Now that’s rational^^^^^^^

Hey when was the last time the Big12 got 4 teams in the Sweet16? Take a step back and enjoy it old timer. WVU has a great chance to go all the way this year.

NCAA Tournament records with conferences with more than one bid by winning percentage.

Just for informational purposes only.

Big 10 - 6-2 (75%)
Big 12 - 8-3 (73%)
ACC - 10-5 (67%)
MWC - 2-1 (67%)
SEC - 8-6 (57%)
Big East - 5-5 (50%)
AAC - 2-3 (40%)
A10 - 2-3 (40%)
Pac12 - 0-3 (0%)

Sorry, I don't use red fonts :)

So the NCAAs fell into place for the Top 4 teams in The Big12. Everyone has respected Kansas, Texas Tech and WVU all year hence their ranking throughout the year and their seeding at 1,3 and 5. KSU had fortune and luck on their side for sure. They’re average at best. Beating a 16 in a tough last 3 minute game haha. But what happened to your meat grinder argument Eers? The ACC and the SEC had more teams in NCAAs than Big12. PAC12 is in shambles. The Big Ten was down all year and the NCAAs exposed that but those teams are always gamers. The Big East once again is exposed as the one trick pony that it is. The SEC has represented itself well all year including beating the Big12 in their challenge. So now as usual the ACC is competing as the top dog as does the Top 4 of the Big12. The bottom 6 have proved one thing. They aren’t that good. Ok teams but nothing special. The ACC has their 11th and 9th best team in the Sweet16. And they earned it with impressive wins against Michigan St and Xavier. All 4 ACC teams beat Conference Champs to get to Sweet16. They didn’t beat 16 and 13 seeds. No shame in beating those teams but even a homer would rather play a 16 instead of a 1. So it seems the Big12 and the ACC are top dogs this year but your Big12 meat grinder narrative is Jibberish.

Hey when was the last time the Big12 got 4 teams in the Sweet16? Take a step back and enjoy it old timer. WVU has a great chance to go all the way this year.
I think the sec probably has the best chance of putting more than one team in the Final four at this point. If you look at the region Kentucky is in they would probably be the favorite at this point. Then in the west you have Texas am that's a little more wide open but they look like the most athletic of the teams remaining in that region.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34

Trolls are going troll I guess. Meanwhile WVU makes 3rd sweet 16 in 4 years.

Has to be the craziest tournament ever. Sweet 16 is down to only 6 or 7 teams that were actually top 4 seeds in each bracket. Opening lines are relatively close on the eight sweet 16 games, with Nova opening as a 5 point favorite. Duke is the biggest favorite on the board, at 11.

I think the sec probably has the best chance of putting more than one team in the Final four at this point. If you look at the region Kentucky is in they would pro ebably be the favorite at this point. Then in the west you have Texas am that's a little more wide open but they look like the most athletic of the teams remaining in that region.
Don't dismiss Kansas State even though it isn't the top 3 in the Big 12. Kentucky might be in for a surprise. Michigan is safest because it doesn't have a Big 12 team I that region. Villanova might have to get past WVU and Texas Tech, the 2nd place teams in the Big 12, which may be a tall order. Kansas could blitz
Can we all agree(accept Eers.....he’s exempt for medical/health reasons) that this year is wide open with good teams but few, if any, great teams. It’s obvious to me that there are 5 Conferences that stand above all. Big Ten, Big East, Big12, SEC and ACC. Picking one over the other this year is literally a waste of time. My South bracket got busted by Zona and Tennessee. My West relies on UNC beating Xavier but I have OSU beating Zags. My Midwest has Kansas all the way through by beating Duke. I have Nova beating WVU and Texas Tech beating I Purdue but losing to Nova in East. Watched Nova up close today and that team is sick! One thing became obvious to me since Tuesday night. The annual conference turf war about who is best is a complete waste of time this year IMO.

Ok Eers go ahead and tell us how brutal the Big12 is.
I don't have to tell you how brutal the Big 12 is. All you have to do is close your mouth and open your eyes. 3 Big 12 teams in the Final Four still is possible at the Sweet Sixteen stage. There would be 4 but the committee didn't put a Big 12 te
am in the other region to avoid an all-Big 12 Final Four. TOFU sucks, Big 10 sucks. Big 12 rules !!!! Press Virginia makes opponents implode. Ask Marshall. And superstars come to Press Virginia to die. Ask Elmore and Trae. I think you still have a lot of egg on your face, and it's not for medical reasons. More to do with where your brain should be.

The best team that a Big 12 school has defeated in the NCAA Tournament: SIXTH seeded Florida. WVU beat Seeds 12 and 13, and Kansas State beat seeds 8 and 16. Tap the brakes, Propaganda Pops.
I know you guys like to bust on CFE, but you cant fault the Big XII for that.

Reactions: Phil
We'll see, won't we? It could happen. With the Big 12, don't under-estimate or the egg will be all over your face. Ask Marshall and Elmore. Press Virginia is where superstars come to die.
For it to happen K State would have to beat Kentucky which is not very likely. Villanova is not Marshall it will be a hugh step up in class. Texas Tech and Kansas will have more difficult opponents and they had enough trouble winning there 2nd round games as it is.

Don't dismiss Kansas State even though it isn't the top 3 in the Big 12. Kentucky might be in for a surprise. Michigan is safest because it doesn't have a Big 12 team I that region. Villanova might have to get past WVU and Texas Tech, the 2nd place teams in the Big 12, which may be a tall order. Kansas could blitz

I don't have to tell you how brutal the Big 12 is. All you have to do is close your mouth and open your eyes. 3 Big 12 teams in the Final Four still is possible at the Sweet Sixteen stage. There would be 4 but the committee didn't put a Big 12 te
am in the other region to avoid an all-Big 12 Final Four. TOFU sucks, Big 10 sucks. Big 12 rules !!!! Press Virginia makes opponents implode. Ask Marshall. And superstars come to Press Virginia to die. Ask Elmore and Trae. I think you still have a lot of egg on your face, and it's not for medical reasons. More to do with where your brain should be.
There has only been conference to put 3 teams in the Final four. Its not gonna happen this year.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
The best team that a Big 12 school has defeated in the NCAA Tournament: SIXTH seeded Florida. WVU beat Seeds 12 and 13, and Kansas State beat seeds 8 and 16. Tap the brakes, Propaganda Pops.

It's not WVU's fault that the lower seed beat higher seed that should not have been a 4 seed.

Michigan State beat a 14 seed then lost to an 11 seed that had to win a play in game to even get in. Michigan beat a 14 and 6 seed. Purdue has beaten a 15 and 10 seed. So the highest seed the Big 10 has beaten is a 6 seed. It's a tournament. lower seeds sometimes beat higher seeds.

Where is Ohio State?

Stop crying, T-Bone/Allen. Ohio State lost to underrated No. 4 seed Gonzaga, which killed WVU in the 2012 Tourney, and knocked WVU out of last year's Tourney, too. Nobody said that the B1G was good this year, but it does have a better tournament record than any other Power 5 conference, including the Big 12. We'll see how WVU and Kansas State do next weekend when the competition stiffens.

Stop crying, T-Bone/Allen. Ohio State lost to underrated No. 4 seed Gonzaga, which killed WVU in the 2012 Tourney, and knocked WVU out of last year's Tourney, too. Nobody said that the B1G was good this year, but it does have a better tournament record than any other Power 5 conference, including the Big 12. We'll see how WVU and Kansas State do next weekend when the competition stiffens.

Don't believe I'm crying. Just proving your point was invalid. As it always is.

WVU has a great shot at Final Four. I guess the 3-5 of you guys just don’t want to talk real shop.
Do you. You sing the praises of a league who had the number 1 and 5 overall seeds that got boat raced out of the tourney, UVA in a historical matter. No matter the results your posts are always the same, ACC is great B12 is average or lucky.

So Ok. State is an "ok" team that finished 8th or 9th in the B12 and they beat the mighty FSU team on the road. If FSU was in the B12, they would be in the NIT this year because there is no Pitt or Wake Forest and GT to pad your win totals. Overall the ACC and the B12 have proven to be the top leagues this year but the most important thing is WVU is still in it. The rest is really white noise.

Do you. You sing the praises of a league who had the number 1 and 5 overall seeds that got boat raced out of the tourney, UVA in a historical matter. No matter the results your posts are always the same, ACC is great B12 is average or lucky.

So Ok. State is an "ok" team that finished 8th or 9th in the B12 and they beat the mighty FSU team on the road. If FSU was in the B12, they would be in the NIT this year because there is no Pitt or Wake Forest and GT to pad your win totals. Overall the ACC and the B12 have proven to be the top leagues this year but the most important thing is WVU is still in it. The rest is really white noise.

5-0 haven’t we been down this road? This is ridiculous. I owe you no explanation but all you have to do is look at my posting. I’ve always posted positively about WVU and Staff in both sports. Again find one post that dogs WVU football or basketball. I’ve posted a million times that Big12 football is not respected Nationally. I’ve posted a million times Big12 hoops is as good as any league in America. However I’ve mocked the homers on this site that get in a pissing contest trying to argue its the best conference and the ultimate meat grinder. To the homers my point is simple. They overrate the Big12. The league is excellent. Have at Iowa St, Baylor, Okie St, TCU, Oklahoma and Texas are anything more than average teams in the SEC, ACC or Big Ten. Dude Pitt almost beat Okie St. Had a legit shot at beating them haha. Heck Pitt gave WVU all the could handle. Sometimes crap happens. FSU has talent but also has a horrible coach. They can beat anyone and lose to anyone. Hey let’s agree to disagree.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer

This may sound weird but just about every year the ACC has a chance to 3 teams in the Final Four. Hey did you forget the ACC has 4 teams left as well? You may not realize it because Eers is so toxic but I’m an ACC guy that loves Ohio St, WVU and Duquesne. I don’t care much about the Big but respect that conference as the big daddy of them all. If it wasn’t for the Big WVU would still be getting $4 million a year from the Big East lame ass football contract. That’s the hard truth.

NCAA Tournament records with conferences with more than one bid by winning percentage.

Just for informational purposes only.

Big 10 - 6-2 (75%)
Big 12 - 8-3 (73%)
ACC - 10-5 (67%)
MWC - 2-1 (67%)
SEC - 8-6 (57%)
Big East - 5-5 (50%)
AAC - 2-3 (40%)
A10 - 2-3 (40%)
Pac12 - 0-3 (0%)

Sorry, I don't use red fonts :)

Looks like the MWC is a meat grinder
(Red don’t)

5-0 haven’t we been down this road? This is ridiculous. I owe you no explanation but all you have to do is look at my posting. I’ve always posted positively about WVU and Staff in both sports. Again find one post that dogs WVU football or basketball. I’ve posted a million times that Big12 football is not respected Nationally. I’ve posted a million times Big12 hoops is as good as any league in America. However I’ve mocked the homers on this site that get in a pissing contest trying to argue its the best conference and the ultimate meat grinder. To the homers my point is simple. They overrate the Big12. The league is excellent. Have at Iowa St, Baylor, Okie St, TCU, Oklahoma and Texas are anything more than average teams in the SEC, ACC or Big Ten. Dude Pitt almost beat Okie St. Had a legit shot at beating them haha. Heck Pitt gave WVU all the could handle. Sometimes crap happens. FSU has talent but also has a horrible coach. They can beat anyone and lose to anyone. Hey let’s agree to disagree.

The difference between the acc and the B12 is the acc has a basement and the B12 does not. 5 teams with losing records providing 10 teams with automatic wins. You just don't have that in the B12. Congratulations on Pitt almost beating somebody. Well isn't that something. OK State actually beat Pitt and won at FSU. Meanwhile WVU is going to its third sweet 16 in four years.

Ribs hurt! Good end game in post haha

ACC has a great March Madness history. But this is 2018, the Big 12's year to howl.

TOFU and the rest of the Big 10, other than half as many teams as the Big 12 has in the Sweet 16, is home watching on TV.

If WVU can beat Villanova -- a major feat, but not impossible -- then 3 Big 12 teams in the Final Four is a distinct possibility.

It hasn't happened since 1985, when the Big East got Villanova, Georgetown and St. John's in the Final Four. Georgetown beat St. John's in the Final Four, but lost to Villanova in the title game.

So it can happen, but obviously it's a rarity. But this is the Big 12's year. I can feel it.

Among the current survivors, Kentucky has been to 17 Final Fours, Kansas 14, Kansas State 4, West Virginia 2 (with Jerry West and later with Huggins coaching).

Anyone focused or worried about this seed beat this seed #
A) doesn’t have a dog in the hunt and didn’t make the field
B). Lost to the zags
C). Has a Loser mentality.
The field is wide open and seed # doesn’t matter, especially this year. Conference doesn’t matter at this point, the big boys make it to the S16 and wvu is here as usual.

I'm not much on the conference pissing contests that happen on here but I'm going to chime in just this once.

Have you noticed that the top ACC teams almost NEVER get placed in the same region? Think about it. When have Duke and UNC been placed in the same region? Every year it seems like the same deal - they (the top 3 or 4 ACC schools) get placed in separate regions with what are essentially home/easy distance games in the first couple of rounds. It's almost like they are placed first then everybody else gets placed to give one or two of them an easier shot at the final four.

Look at this year. UVA (Charlotte) in South, UNC (Charlotte) West, and Duke (Pitt) East. Meanwhile, the 2nd and 3rd place B12 teams would HAVE to face each other to get there, without the benefit of knocking off one of the 3 ACC teams (only Kansas would have that chance).

Not calling BS or even conspiracy theory, but it always seems this way. If the B12 and ACC were the two toughest leagues this year as most say, doesn't this set-up seem odd?

ACC has a great March Madness history. But this is 2018, the Big 12's year to howl.

TOFU and the rest of the Big 10, other than half as many teams as the Big 12 has in the Sweet 16, is home watching on TV.

If WVU can beat Villanova -- a major feat, but not impossible -- then 3 Big 12 teams in the Final Four is a distinct possibility.

It hasn't happened since 1985, when the Big East got Villanova, Georgetown and St. John's in the Final Four. Georgetown beat St. John's in the Final Four, but lost to Villanova in the title game.

So it can happen, but obviously it's a rarity. But this is the Big 12's year. I can feel it.

Among the current survivors, Kentucky has been to 17 Final Fours, Kansas 14, Kansas State 4, West Virginia 2 (with Jerry West and later with Huggins coaching).

There’s only one team left I give a crap about and that’s WVU. All the other noise is for insecure homers. Kansas and WVU are the real threats. Kansas St sucks and Texas Tech seems overrated.

I'm not much on the conference pissing contests that happen on here but I'm going to chime in just this once.

Have you noticed that the top ACC teams almost NEVER get placed in the same region? Think about it. When have Duke and UNC been placed in the same region? Every year it seems like the same deal - they (the top 3 or 4 ACC schools) get placed in separate regions with what are essentially home/easy distance games in the first couple of rounds. It's almost like they are placed first then everybody else gets placed to give one or two of them an easier shot at the final four.

Look at this year. UVA (Charlotte) in South, UNC (Charlotte) West, and Duke (Pitt) East. Meanwhile, the 2nd and 3rd place B12 teams would HAVE to face each other to get there, without the benefit of knocking off one of the 3 ACC teams (only Kansas would have that chance).

Not calling BS or even conspiracy theory, but it always seems this way. If the B12 and ACC were the two toughest leagues this year as most say, doesn't this set-up seem odd?

Not knowing if this was a one year thing it is odd and tough to explain or excuse. Of course the Big East is overrated and that screws thing up a bit but I’ve always thought Conference heavyweights should not have to face each other until Elite 8.

Seems about right to a non homer. According to the 3 amigos Top 4 should be Big12 teams in no particular order.

Seems about right to a non homer. According to the 3 amigos Top 4 should be Big12 teams in no particular order.
Greg who has said the top 4 teams are B12 teams? Trolling is all you have. Be happy that WVU is still dancing if you are a fan and leave the octogenarians alone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT