The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
West Virginia University

Players and Assistant Coaches Media Session

August 25, 2015

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (August 25, 2015) – West Virginia University assistant coaches and select members of the West Virginia University football team met with the media on Tuesday, Aug. 25, at the Milan Puskar Center Team Room.

Assistant Head Coach (Receivers) Lonnie Galloway

On having an extra week to prepare for the first game

It’s a weird situation this year with school starting early and having an extra week. We have a lot of preparation for the game coming up. In some ways it’s good, and in some ways the guys are getting tired of hitting each other. It’s good though, because we still have some work to do on offense, so we’ll take it as it comes.

On analyzing Georgia Southern

Georgia Southern is a good football team. I played against them when I was in the Southern Conference. They have a lot of great tradition, and they won a lot of national championship games. The product they put out there is a great product down in Statesboro (Georgia).

On what is left to accomplish with the offense in the final days leading up to the first game and establishing a final depth chart

We have to solidify who’s going to start. Time and chemistry are something that you can’t have enough of. It’s great to have those two weeks especially with three new receivers. Right now, (junior wide receiver) Daikiel (Shorts Jr.), (senior wide receiver) Jordan (Thompson) and (redshirt senior wide receiver) KJ (Myers) are for sure going to play. We will line two guys up on the outside, and hopefully, we’ll have four guys soon, so we can go two and two. I’m sure you saw the depth chart a couple weeks ago and how it said ‘or,’ but we will have someone that goes out there.

On the advantages of having versatile players like junior wide receiver Daikiel Shorts Jr. and senior wide receiver Jordan Thompson

(Junior wide receiver) Daikiel (Shorts Jr.) and (senior wide receiver) Jordan (Thompson) really complimented each other out there. They’ve been doing it for the past couple years. It’s great to have that experience out there, especially with (junior quarterback) Skyler (Howard) having game experience under his belt. Howard is comfortable with them. They know where he likes to put the ball and it’s comfortable for them.

Assistant Coach (Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers) Tony Gibson

On attacking Georgia Southern’s triple-option offense

We can’t attack it. That’s the problem I have with it. When you do that you leave too many vertical run seams, and they can bust a big play on you. We have to be very patient. We can’t get bored with what we’re doing, and we have to play every snap very sound with what we’re doing.

On preventing the WVU secondary from getting tricked by the Georgia Southern offense

It’s hard because what we do every day against our offense is with the mentality of attacking the ball and being aggressive. This style of offense slows us down a little bit. I’m sure they’re going to try to use what we do best against us, with our speed and run counters. They will get us to flow one way, but go the other way. It’s assignment football. Every guy has an assignment, and they have to do it. You’re not going to make a lot of big plays against them. They take good care of the football. You have to try to hold them and make them punt.

On having an extra week of practice this season before the first game

It’s long for the kids because school started and usually we’re in camp for three weeks, two weeks of school, and then we play. It’s a little different for us. I’m not complaining. I need all the time I can to prepare. We aren’t anywhere close to being ready to play. These next two weeks will be crucial to make sure we are doing the right stuff and doing the right assignments.

Assistant coach (offensive line) Ron Crook

On how much growth he has seen from redshirt sophomore Kyle Bosch since the spring

I think when he got the news that he was going to be eligible, his outlook changed. He’s a tough, physical player. He loves playing football, and he loves going out there and getting nasty with sweat running down his face. The typical o-line stuff. I think the thing that changed was his excitement about learning and improving his technique. It was kind of cool to see him take a different approach to it. His growth has really been about understanding this offense because it’s different from what he was used to. It’s more up tempo with getting to the line of scrimmage quickly. We joke about how you’re not running a play, and then standing in the huddle for 30 seconds and running another play. It’s a lot different for him, but he’s learning it. He’s doing a good job. He’s heading in the right direction that we need him to go.

On if redshirt sophomore Kyle Bosch is what he thought he would be out of high school

Yeah, he is. With the offensive line, he’s now getting to the year where you normally start to see where he’s at, and what he’s ready to do. I would say yes. He is where I thought he would be.

On what type of blitzes that Georgia Southern brings and what the offensive line has to prepare for in order to protect the quarterback

The hardest thing with protection is going from a three man front where you have the ability to slide four guys to pick up a blitz to a four man front where you can only slide three guys. That’s the hardest part of it. At this stage, we’re really focused on different techniques that go with the four man front as opposed to a three man front. Your double teams are in different places, so you have guys doing different footwork. That’s been our main focus.

Redshirt senior tight end/fullback Cody Clay

On if junior quarterback Skyler Howard’s game play is similar or different to past quarterbacks he has played with

His mobility opens up a lot of stuff for us in terms of misdirection. It helps with blocking because it helps us hold off certain players that don’t know if he is going to run the ball or not. He also throws the ball as well as any quarterback I’ve ever had so far.

On junior quarterback Skyler Howard’s ability to get down field during a broken play

It’s definitely important. That’s something we’ve been focusing on. We simulate that in practice even when there’s no rush. When the receivers are covered up (junior quarterback) Skyler (Howard) will scramble out of the pocket and get down field. We’re just trying to simulate that situation with the receivers moving to a different place.

On junior quarterback Skyler Howard’s best quality

His best quality is that he’s able to keep the play alive. When something isn’t happening, he’s able to get out of the pocket and make something happen.

Junior wide receiver Daikiel Shorts Jr.

On what the younger guys have shown that allowed the older players to learn from them

They’re great competitors. They’re willing to get better every day and learn. They’re pretty good players. We feed off of them, and they feed off of us. They ask us questions. We ask them questions. We are just trying to get it going right now.

On freshman wide receiver Jovon Durante and freshman wide receiver Gary Jennings playing special teams this season

Most definitely. They’re going to help the team out as much as they can, and that helps us out a lot.

On the next 10 days

We have to be on the same page. We have to be on the same page with (junior quarterback) Skyler (Howard) and on the same page with the coaches. We have to know what they want, and we have to know what (junior quarterback) Skyler (Howard) wants. That will help us out a lot.

On the game plan for Georgia Southern

Actually, today will be our first time game planning, so we will watch film and see.

On playing Georgia Southern as the first game compared to later on in the season

They’re not an easy team to beat, so we’re going to go out there and compete. We are going to get ready for them as they’re going to get ready for us. Hopefully, all goes well, and we will see what happens.

Redshirt Junior Offensive Lineman Tyler Orlosky

On having an extra week of practice and how it affects the team

It’s good and bad. Obviously, we’re ready to get out on the field and play our first game, but the mock week will come in handy with going through the motions of what our game is going to be like and everything for us. So, it’s good and bad.

On Georgia Southern presenting themselves as a challenging opponent

They’re a different team. They’re a team that’s relatively new to FBS Football. Obviously, they’re a winning program. They had a lot of success in previous years. They’re a different team with the way they run their offense. They run the triple option on offense which will be different for our defense to handle. Obviously, with their defense, our offense is used to seeing our 3-3-5 the last couple of weeks and now we have to go against a four man front. We have to adjust to that. It’s going to be a lot different for us.

On how redshirt freshman offensive lineman Yodney Cajuste and redshirt junior offensive lineman Tony Matteo have established themselves on the depth chart

They have done a good job. (Redshirt freshman offensive lineman) Yodney (Cajuste) is a redshirt freshman, and that’s a tough position to be put in to start, especially on the blind side of a quarterback. He has definitely done the right things to earn his spot. (Redshirt junior offensive lineman) Tony (Matteo), has done a good job as well. He’s been a little banged up here and there, but he’s doing a really good job at coming back from that. I think he will be ready to go come game day.

Sophomore Safety Dravon Askew-Henry

On facing Georgia Southern so early in the season

I’m kind of glad we get to open up with them, because it will make everybody play better. Everybody knows that they have to do their own assignments. We can’t do too much. I think we will be alright.

On the areas he has improved on within the last year

I am bigger, faster and stronger. My confidence is better, so I’m ready for the season to start.

On the goals he has for the upcoming season

I want to make plays.

On the amount of plays he wants to make

I want to go out there and help my team in any way that I can.

On the areas he feels he has learned the most

I know where I have to be and where I fit in with defense. It made spring ball during the offseason much better for me.

Junior cornerback Daryl Worley

On his goals for the season

I’m not really so much focused on me this year. I never have been. I’ve always been the team guy. I want to do my part with this team, and I want to play.

On if this will be his final year at West Virginia

We never know what God has in store for us. I’m going to stick to the game plan and do everything I can on the field to help my team win a championship.

On where he thinks his game is at on a scale of one to ten, with a ten being NFL material

I’m not on that scale yet. I’m not even mentally thinking about it. If anything, I’m prepared for these next six months of the games that we have coming up.

On what he needs to improve on

Everything. I want to play faster this year. I want to be able to recognize things and be able to make more plays in the scheme of things that our defense works around.

On the first game of the season

(Assistant coach/defensive coordinator/linebackers Tony Gibson) Gibby was telling us that this is the game where we have to be the most disciplined, because it’s a team that doesn’t throw the ball as much. We can’t fall asleep because that’s when they will take us up top and go right over the top of our heads with it. This is the game that we have to stay locked in mentally as a secondary and be able to focus on what we have to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News