ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for the Herd fans that visit here

old buzzard

All-Conference
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2005
Since you Herdiots are too thin skinned to have a smack board on your forum, what part of WVU's success burns your little green buffalo asses the most ?

Is it the fact that you have never managed to get a win against WVU in football regardless where the game was played ?

Is it the fact that we regularly make the NCAA basketball tournament while you haven't since Ronald Reagan was President ?

Is it because of the fact that Marshall hasn't appeared in the NCAA baseball tournament since Nixon was President ?

Is it the fact that we get 174 times the money from the Big XII than you get from CUSA ?

Is it the fact that D'Antoni's mouth forever ended WVU vs Marshall in basketball ?

Speak up little brothers.......Defend yourselves or shut up. We're tired of hearing your BS.

Since you Herdiots are too thin skinned to have a smack board on your forum, what part of WVU's success burns your little green buffalo asses the most ?

Is it the fact that you have never managed to get a win against WVU in football regardless where the game was played ?

Is it the fact that we regularly make the NCAA basketball tournament while you haven't since Ronald Reagan was President ?

Is it because of the fact that Marshall hasn't appeared in the NCAA baseball tournament since Nixon was President ?

Is it the fact that we get 174 times the money from the Big XII than you get from CUSA ?

Is it the fact that D'Antoni's mouth forever ended WVU vs Marshall in basketball ?

Speak up little brothers.......Defend yourselves or shut up. We're tired of hearing your BS.
Can't speak for all the " little brothers" but what burns my ass is the undisputed fact that WVU constantly brags about all their money and the fact that they overpay their great coaches( Dana) but NEVER win anything of note! I mean do something besides beat up on Kansas and ISU in football. Maybe hold Oklahoma to under 800 yards rushing in a game....that's it, let's pay Dana a bonus if he holds the Sooners to under 800 rushing yards and brag to the MU boys about how we pay our fine coach.

WVU Success:

None of these
Bowl-release.jpg

None of these
2e243c9041a38604408ec7cbc9029082.jpg

None of these
ncaa-baseball-052915-usnews-getty-ftr_180ldp7cxgazw163bnsx0jqrne.jpg

But....they do have this, as the cousins can fire off those pop guns
2159856_orig.jpg

Can't speak for the rest of them, but not sure I spend much time fretting over the success of the cousins.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
You should be more concerned that it takes nearly four years worth of CUSA payouts to pay one years salary for Doc Holliday.
Nah
You should be more concerned that it takes nearly four years worth of CUSA payouts to pay one years salary for Doc Holliday.
Nah, we don't overpay the coaches at MU. Only at WVU will you find numbskulls who pay $200.00 for a dozen doughnuts and brag about how much they paid!

We have some assistant coaches who get paid more than you pay Doc. The difference is that we can afford it and you can't.
I have no doubt...nobody get's ripped off like WVU and then brags about the heist....the Dean of the Business School needs to step in, IMHO! No Badge of Honor to get hosed!

I have no doubt...nobody get's ripped off like WVU and then brags about the heist....the Dean of the Business School needs to step in, IMHO! No Badge of Honor to get hosed!

You're soon going to see just how much you're overpaying Doc when he has to start coaching against the likes of Butch Davis and Lane Kiffin. Up til now Doc has had it easy with what is traditionally one of the weakest schedules in Div. 1 ............. now he's going to have to start earning his money.

You're soon going to see just how much you're overpaying Doc when he has to start coaching against the likes of Butch Davis and Lane Kiffin. Up til now Doc has had it easy with what is traditionally one of the weakest schedules in Div. 1 ............. now he's going to have to start earning his money.
What are you boys going to have to pay Dana if he ever beats somebody besides Kansas and ISU? Last time I saw the Mounties, Dana and his 1 million dollar a year assistants looked like Deer in the Headlights against a so-so Hurricane bunch!

What are you boys going to have to pay Dana if he ever beats somebody besides Kansas and ISU? Last time I saw the Mounties, Dana and his 1 million dollar a year assistants looked like Deer in the Headlights against a so-so Hurricane bunch!

When you play P-5 competition on a regular basis you win some and you lose some, but being a Marshall fan the concept of quality opponents week after week is something you'd never understand.

Last edited:
When you play P-5 competition on a regular basis you win some and you lose some, but being a Marshall fan the concept of quality opponents week after week is something you'd never understand.
I understand that ...what I don't understand is paying $200.00 for a dozen doughnuts! Dana and his merry men are making off with the Kings loot!

You guys better start having a lot of bake sales. No bowl last year, none in sight, ticket sales way down, CUSA money less than MAC money.....tough times for sure.

Do you think they will fold the program or keep borrowing money?

You guys better start having a lot of bake sales. No bowl last year, none in sight, ticket sales way down, CUSA money less than MAC money.....tough times for sure.

Do you think they will fold the program or keep borrowing money?
Maybe Dana will float us a loan ....he's " earned" plenty of it at WVU!

Maybe Dana will float us a loan ....he's " earned" plenty of it at WVU!

We aren't complaining about what we pay Dana. What bothers you about it ? Could it be that we pay him 4 times the amount you pay Doc, or is it the fact that we can afford to do that while you're worried that Doc's next paycheck could bounce ?

Yet they still hate..... Amazing if you think about it.

"When most people assess Bobby Bowden's legacy as a football coach, they likely remember him most for turning Florida State into a national power and being the winningest Division I-A coach in history.

Jack Lengyel sees it much differently.

The Bowden he will always remember is the guy who, in the spring of 1971, played a significant role in helping the Marshall University football program rise from the ashes. A compassionate coach saw a team in desperate need.
He proceeded to open up his playbook, his film room and his heart to Lengyel and the Marshall coaching staff.

Four months after the plane crash into a West Virginia hillside that killed 75 people, including nearly all of the Marshall players and coaches, Lengyel was hired to direct the most daunting job of rebuilding in college football history.

Lengyel devoted four years to that task, which gains national exposure in the movie We Are Marshall. But he's quick to credit Bowden, who had just completed his first season as West Virginia coach, for assisting Marshall in the comeback process from the worst sports-related disaster in U.S. history.

"There's no way we could have recovered as well as we did without coach Bowden's help," the 70-year-old Lengyel said in an interview from his home in Arizona. "We were pressed for time, and [Bowden's staff] gave us all the teaching points for a new offense."

When Lengyel arrived at Marshall, he had only 31 days until spring practice. With only 43 players, Lengyel didn't have the depth or talent to run his power-I offense.

Marshall's only chance to be competitive (it won two games in 1971) was to institute the Houston veer offense, an option attack that relied more on the quarterback reading defenses and less on great run-blocking. Lengyel wanted to spread the field and turn games into more of a finesse contest.

Luckily, Bowden knew everything about the Houston veer from visiting with former Houston coach Bill Yeoman, the offense's architect, in 1968. So when Marshall's coaches needed to cram to learn the new offense, they spent three days working well into the middle of the night with Bowden's staff to get everything down.

In the movie, Lengyel, who gave input to actor Matthew McConaughey and the film's producers, was happy to see a brief scene that showed his staff's visit with Bowden and the part it played in Marshall's football recovery.

Bowden, who saw a tape of the movie Sunday, was proud to be included. He admits his emotions got the better of him.
"There's no doubt about the satisfaction you feel in helping out because [Marshall] had a whole team wiped out," Bowden said. "That thing hit close to home. I sat and cried through the whole [movie].

"I thought they couldn't make it look real, but they did a great job. It brought back such memories because I knew a lot of the players and coaches."

To honor Marshall's victims, Bowden had a cross and the MU initials put on the back of the helmets of West Virginia's players in 1971. That gesture, and coming to the rescue of a program overwhelmed by grief and on-field obstacles, remains with Jack Lengyel to this day.

Bobby Bowden won him over long before he ever became a famous football coach."

Florida Times-Union, Dec. 19, 2006.

Can't speak for all the " little brothers" but what burns my ass is the undisputed fact that WVU constantly brags about all their money and the fact that they overpay their great coaches( Dana) but NEVER win anything of note!

Well....we have won one thing of note.
The hearts, minds and support of the people of West Virginia.

It may not be important to you, but it's important to us.
And that is yet ANOTHER thing that MU will never enjoy.

But hey....Good luck avenging your loss to conference mate UNC Charlotte.

Reactions: Motown Mounty
Guys you are being top tough on Marshall. They have hit a small speed bump in their quest for glory. Sure they pay a coach who couldn't even be a coordinator for 30+ years before he became a head coach. Sure they over pay him. Last year they paid him about $250.000 per win but that is their business. I understand that they can't get a game on TV but Twitter is looking good for them. Sure we can make fun of Charlotte but I suspect Charlotte may be a top 10 team this year! We shouldn't make fun of the fact that WVU makes about 174 times what Marshall earns, just remember where we were 40 years ago in 1977 as an Independent and then maybe you will understand. I truly believe this will be a break out year for Marshall and they will absolutely punish their opponents. I look for them to go undefeated, win the Conference Championship, and get an at large bit for the Playoffs. I really do. Poor Miami (Oh) they aren't going to know what hit them!

I think he could finance your program for a couple of years.
No doubt he's enriched himself at your expense...can't help but feel sorry for kids sitting in the Pen for robbing a liquor store of $300.00, if they had only gone into coaching they could get millions from WVU and have the Victims brag about the size of the larceny.
We aren't complaining about what we pay Dana. What bothers you about it ? Could it be that we pay him 4 times the amount you pay Doc, or is it the fact that we can afford to do that while you're worried that Doc's next paycheck could bounce ?
What bothers me is that my Cousins are being robbed in plain view and cannot grasp the obvious!

No doubt he's enriched himself at your expense...can't help but feel sorry for kids sitting in the Pen for robbing a liquor store of $300.00, if they had only gone into coaching they could get millions from WVU and have the Victims brag about the size of the larceny.

What bothers me is that my Cousins are being robbed in plain view and cannot grasp the obvious!
And I'll admit that all football coaches are vastly overpaid but the high price of mediocrity is especially evident at WVU!

Speaking of coaching and drinking: didn't you guys have a basketball assistant a while back get busted for a repeat offense DUI? How is he doing? Was he let go from the program?

Back to football coaching:
I think I would rather pay a few million dollars per year for our football coach and get 10 wins versus pay 700 or 800K per year and get 3 wins.

Looking back at last year, both schools paid about 300K per win. The main difference being the 300K per win for 10 wins gets you some return on your investment, visa vis, bowl money.

Speaking of coaching and drinking: didn't you guys have a basketball assistant a while back get busted for a repeat offense DUI? How is he doing? Was he let go from the program?

Back to football coaching:
I think I would rather pay a few million dollars per year for our football coach and get 10 wins versus pay 700 or 800K per year and get 3 wins.

Looking back at last year, both schools paid about 300K per win. The main difference being the 300K per win for 10 wins gets you some return on your investment, visa vis, bowl money.
Don't you currently have a Head Basketball Coach with a history of DUI? Few million bucks a year to beat Kansas and ISU? Please tell me the Cousins aren't self satisfied with that ...ready to run HOGO off before last season. Guess he owes a few million votes of gratitude to the Jayhawks and Cyclones!

And I'll admit that all football coaches are vastly overpaid but the high price of mediocrity is especially evident at WVU!

Coaching salaries are relative to the athletic revenue generated by those sports due to the respective coach's success. So, assuming between Holgorsen and Huggins they make $6MM/yr of a $41MM/yr revenue stream... that's 14.6%... Not sure what The Doctrine makes but let's assume Doc makes $750k; what percentage of revenue are you paying your coaches of the two main revenue sports? My guess is you're being far more ripped off than what you accuse WVU of being.

The main problem in my logic is the lion's share of MU's athletic revenue comes directly out of the pockets of every West Virginia tax payer.(MU couldn't self generate enough to pay either coach their meager wages, along with the department's overhead) Given the vast, vast, majority of West Virginians are WVU fans as opposed to MU fans, WVU "fans" are being ripped off on a much grander scale paying your coaches what they extort from MU and the state. So, it appears Holgorsen, Huggins, The Doctrine, and Doc are all on WVU fans' payroll. As a percentage of what each brings to the table, Holgorsen and Huggins are bargains and actually bring in quite a profit as compared to the latter two.. Who's truly being ripped off?

Coaching salaries are relative to the athletic revenue generated by those sports due to the respective coach's success. So, assuming between Holgorsen and Huggins they make $6MM/yr of a $41MM/yr revenue stream... that's 14.6%... Not sure what The Doctrine makes but let's assume Doc makes $750k; what percentage of revenue are you paying your coaches of the two main revenue sports? My guess is you're being far more ripped off than what you accuse WVU of being.

The main problem in my logic is the lion's share of MU's athletic revenue comes directly out of the pockets of every West Virginia tax payer.(MU couldn't self generate enough to pay either coach their meager wages, along with the department's overhead) Given the vast, vast, majority of West Virginians are WVU fans as opposed to MU fans, WVU "fans" are being ripped off on a much grander scale paying your coaches what they extort from MU and the state. So, it appears Holgorsen, Huggins, The Doctrine, and Doc are all on WVU fans' payroll. As a percentage of what each brings to the table, Holgorsen and Huggins are bargains and actually bring in quite a profit as compared to the latter two.. Who's truly being ripped off?
Exactly, what has HOGO done besides beat Kansas and ISU on a consistent basis?

Exactly, what has HOGO done besides beat Kansas and ISU on a consistent basis?

Were are 3-2 against Baylor, 2-3 against Ok St. 3-2 against TT, 2-3 against TCU with two of those losses being one-point losses and 3-2 against Texas. It could be better, but that's not bad for one of the toughest conferences in the country.

I think he put a couple of pretty bad beat downs on the herd, the last one by 5 touchdowns.

Were are 3-2 against Baylor, 2-3 against Ok St. 3-2 against TT, 2-3 against TCU with two of those losses being one-point losses and 3-2 against Texas. It could be better, but that's not bad for one of the toughest conferences in the country.

I think he put a couple of pretty bad beat downs on the herd, the last one by 5 touchdowns.
Would you agree that you boys could bring Don or Bobby out of retirement pay them 25% of what HOGO is " earning" and they would win just as many or more games than Dana?

Would you agree that you boys could bring Don or Bobby out of retirement pay them 25% of what HOGO is " earning" and they would win just as many or more games than Dana?

Don Nehlen? No way in hell.

Bobby Bowden? Yes, but he aint coming out of retirement for 25% of Dana's pay. [laughing]

How is the re-election campaign coming for your Bobby?

Actually we are running an experiment in Huntington where we pay a coach 1/4 of what our WVU coach earns. So far it's not working out so well........

Don Nehlen? No way in hell.

Bobby Bowden? Yes, but he aint coming out of retirement for 25% of Dana's pay. [laughing]

How is the re-election campaign coming for your Bobby?
Nehlen has forgotten more than Dana will ever know about football...probably about blackjack as well.

Nah

Nah, we don't overpay the coaches at MU. Only at WVU will you find numbskulls who pay $200.00 for a dozen doughnuts and brag about how much they paid!
Nah nah nah nahhhhh nah nah nah nahhhhh Hey Hey Heyyyy Gooood BUY

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT