ADVERTISEMENT

Question about the whole

EERs 3:16

Heisman Winner
Oct 17, 2001
"We couldn't fire HCNB because it was too close to NSD - thingie..."

National Signing day is ..what December 21st this year? And at some point someone floated out an argument that HCNB shouldn't be fired because it was too close to NSD and HCNB's termination would hamper recruiting... Okay fine...whateves..... But what happens next year? If HCNB poops his pants again, does he get fired earlier in the season...? Do we bite the bullet and fire HCNB at the end of the year - throwing out that whole not firing him because it'll mess with recruiting argument-? Or does HCNB get another year because of the December signing period?

National Signing day is ..what December 21st this year? And at some point someone floated out an argument that HCNB shouldn't be fired because it was too close to NSD and HCNB's termination would hamper recruiting... Okay fine...whateves..... But what happens next year? If HCNB poops his pants again, does he get fired earlier in the season...? Do we bite the bullet and fire HCNB at the end of the year - throwing out that whole not firing him because it'll mess with recruiting argument-? Or does HCNB get another year because of the December signing period?

If we get creamed by PSU, fire him before he gets on the bus.

Reactions: deedoubleyou

If it's all to difficult for you I hear Marshall is playing UCONN in a bowl game. Go cheer for them.

I will never understand firing the man who hired the bad coach but keeping the bad coach! Something it rotten and I'm not talking in Denmark.
The man who was fired is a dolt who handcuffed the school by giving the coach that should fired an impossible extension. Plus the man who was fired would not raise money or work with country roads NIL.

Lyons said he wasnt going to fire Brown. He had the same line of thinking as Gee. Basically that WVU football isnt as important as it used to be, and 5-7 is a good season for Neal Brown because Neal fits the woke culture they want. We really need to be rid of all three of those clowns, not just Lyons.

My guess is that Lyons was ready to pull the trigger on Clown, but Gee said no. Lyons was canned and Baker brought in with the understanding that he not fire Clown right away.
There are three main factors at play that led to the end of Lyons as AD at WVU.

1. Lyons made a devastating mistake in awarding Brown an extension and hefty buyout after only two mediocre seasons on the job. A Liberty Bowl win at a school like WVU, a school that may never be a national power year in and year.

2. In addition to the Brown contract extension, Lyons mentality schedule wise at WVU. How many major programs will be able to say they started a season on the road against a major conference opponent three years in a row.

3. Shane Lyons did not want to support or help raise funds for Country Roads Trust. Similar trusts connected to other Power 5 institutions, including Big 12 foe Texas, Washington of the Pac-12 and at least three SEC schools, have popped up over the last several months. Lyons’ background is in rules, compliance and conference administration. Like many athletic directors, he has struggled to define a pathway that keeps his sports teams competitive utilizing NIL, while not losing complete control to those outside the University.

His desire for that oversight may have conflicted with the Country Roads Trust, the NIL collective headed by former WVU Athletic Director Oliver Luck and University donor Ken Kendrick. They wanted Lyons full-throated endorsement of their fund-raising and player payments.

Moral of the story is the decisions you make as athletic director could come back to haunt you and will impact a program for decades if they go the wrong way. The Shane Lyons era at WVU is officially over, and it’s hard to view it as anything but a failure.

- Hoppy says so.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
I doubt that Shane made that contract extension and buyout without an OK from someone higher up on the chain of command, be it Geek or whoever was prez at the time.

I'm sure Bucky is an expert on which truck stop bathrooms you can ... oh, wait. Wrong "hole".

Reactions: WVUALLEN
I doubt that Shane made that contract extension and buyout without an OK from someone higher up on the chain of command, be it Geek or whoever was prez at the time.
The administration and the board of governors all gave their 100% approval.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
He was fired for more than just the extension. But being a herd fan you would have no idea.

ADVERTISEMENT