ADVERTISEMENT

QB recruiting....

WVex-pat in GA

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2007
Ellijay, GA - High above the Coosawattee River
It looks as if Will Grier is the heir apparent for the starting QB position for the 2017/2018 season. That results in what will be essentially three red-shirt junior QBs on the roster and Cody Saunders as a true sophomore for 2017.

I don't see any QB recruits on this year's recruiting class. So I guess we will be going the route of another transfer, either FBS or JUCO, for the future beyond 2018. I haven't seen Saunders play a down at QB yet and the times that Chugs and Crest have been in (briefly) they haven't shown much. Doesn't mean that any of them aren't going to be high caliber QBs, I just haven't seen something that shows me anything to really evaluate at this point.

Are we destined to go the transfer/JUCO route or will Coach D truly recruit a quality QB from the get go? Are we going to be OK in 2019?

If I look at my local market as an example, UGA has Jacob Eason who played this year as a true freshman, played OK and as he improves will probably leave early. Good problem to have, I guess. What I'm getting at is that it is rare to find a true freshman that can step into a starting CFB QB these days, so they need to be brought up through the system to get even two productive years out of them. Saunders will be a senior in 2019 and may or may not see any playing time. Chugs and Crest will expire with Grier.

Where's the development of the position?

2017:

RS Jr Grier
RS So Chugunov
RS Fr Saunders
RS Jr Crest (now a safety)
Jr David Sills (now a WR)

There is no need for a QB in 2017. I see us grabbing Wilkinson in 2018 from Wheeling Park, and maybe a JUCO QB if Chugz transfers out.

Regardless, we have depth at the position until we have attrition.

Once Grier leaves in 2018, the 2019 depth would be (with no attrition):

RS Sr Chugunov
RS Jr Saunders
RS Fr Wilkinson (speculating 2018 commit)
2019 QB recruit

I see zero issue here

It looks as if Will Grier is the heir apparent for the starting QB position for the 2017/2018 season. That results in what will be essentially three red-shirt junior QBs on the roster and Cody Saunders as a true sophomore for 2017.

I don't see any QB recruits on this year's recruiting class. So I guess we will be going the route of another transfer, either FBS or JUCO, for the future beyond 2018. I haven't seen Saunders play a down at QB yet and the times that Chugs and Crest have been in (briefly) they haven't shown much. Doesn't mean that any of them aren't going to be high caliber QBs, I just haven't seen something that shows me anything to really evaluate at this point.

Are we destined to go the transfer/JUCO route or will Coach D truly recruit a quality QB from the get go? Are we going to be OK in 2019?

If I look at my local market as an example, UGA has Jacob Eason who played this year as a true freshman, played OK and as he improves will probably leave early. Good problem to have, I guess. What I'm getting at is that it is rare to find a true freshman that can step into a starting CFB QB these days, so they need to be brought up through the system to get even two productive years out of them. Saunders will be a senior in 2019 and may or may not see any playing time. Chugs and Crest will expire with Grier.

Seems like it's been awhile since we didn't have at least one QB in a recruiting class, but I'm probably mistaken.

Consider Will Grier a JUCO recruit in 2017. It's the same thing, except he's had a year to learn the system

I think we should still go after a QB. I think we should recruit or get a juco every year.

Reactions: mdeer1
Mostly I've only seen Chugs hand the ball off. I think he threw it once, not a bad looking ball but not much to judge him on. I'm with the recruit a quarterback every year crowd, an injury at that position is very problematic. I like lots of backups so that we have 4 deep depth charts that know (most of) the playbook.

2017:

RS Jr Grier
RS So Chugunov
RS Fr Saunders

There is no need for a QB in 2017. I see us grabbing Wilkinson in 2018 from Wheeling Park, and maybe a JUCO QB if Chugz transfers out.

RS Sr Chugunov
RS Jr Saunders
2019 QB recruit

I see zero issue here
You take a qb in every class and I expect they will

2017:

RS Jr Grier
RS So Chugunov
RS Fr Saunders

RS Sr Chugunov
RS Jr Saunders
2019 QB recruit

I see zero issue here

Why would Chugz transfer out? You think Saunders will beat him out for backup? Also, I think I said F-you to you on the other board some time ago. I meant to apologize for that. I had a bad day.

Until Crest finds a position where he can see the field, he's a backup QB and eating up a QB's scholarship.

He needs to transfer and then we can steal a QB from another school before signing day. All QBs offered at this point by Dana in 2017 have committed to schools already. We shouldn't take someone just to have someone....... That's how you end up with a Brian Athey or a Paul Millard.

A JUCO QB doesn't fit in 2017 with the scholarship distribution. Maybe we take a gamble on a kid who isn't WVU caliber and hope he improves as he waits his turn.......but then folks will just continue on with the "This is all Dana can get at QB?" talk

As far as the possibility of Chris Chugunov transferring.... He still has the option of going to a JUCO next season and then to a school for his last two seasons. Sitting the bench sucks. If he wants to play now, and sees this spring he can't contend with Grier, he could easily leave as well. The Jarrett Browns of CFB are few and far between for guys who will sit four years to play a 5th

Until Crest finds a position where he can see the field, he's a backup QB and eating up a QB's scholarship.

He needs to transfer and then we can steal a QB from another school before signing day. All QBs offered at this point by Dana in 2017 have committed to schools already. We shouldn't take someone just to have someone....... That's how you end up with a Brian Athey or a Paul Millard.

A JUCO QB doesn't fit in 2017 with the scholarship distribution. Maybe we take a gamble on a kid who isn't WVU caliber and hope he improves as he waits his turn.......but then folks will just continue on with the "This is all Dana can get at QB?" talk

As far as the possibility of Chris Chugunov transferring.... He still has the option of going to a JUCO next season and then to a school for his last two seasons. Sitting the bench sucks. If he wants to play now, and sees this spring he can't contend with Grier, he could easily leave as well. The Jarrett Browns of CFB are few and far between for guys who will sit four years to play a 5th

Crest does need a new school. He's too good an athlete to sit the bench.

I don't know if his issues affect our recruiting though. I would guess that if we can flip a QB that fits what we want that we make the room needed.

I don't understand all the "he's too good of an athlete" talk when it comes to Crest. He can't make the 2-deep at multiple positions for WVU

guys who are "too good of athletes" don't have that problem. Hell, David Sills went from 4th string QB to starting WR...........

Don't think chugs will transfer

I don't understand all the "he's too good of an athlete" talk when it comes to Crest. He can't make the 2-deep at multiple positions for WVU

guys who are "too good of athletes" don't have that problem. Hell, David Sills went from 4th string QB to starting WR...........

I am guessing that is less a skill set issue and more of an absorbing the playbook issue. He looked a little lost at WR at times.

Chris Hatcher (Harlon Hill Trophy)

Kliff Kingsbury (Wes Welker)

B.J. Symons (Wes Welker)

Sonny Cumbie (Jarrett Hicks)

Cody Hodges (Joel Filiani)

Graham Harrell (Michael Crabtree)

Case Keenan (Tyron Carrier)

Brandon Weeden (Justin Blackmon)

Geno Smith (Tavon Austin/Steadman Bailey)

Clint Trickett (Kevin White)

Skyler Howard (Dakiel Shorts/Shelton Gibson)

Reactions: writeon
2017:

RS Jr Grier
RS So Chugunov
RS Fr Saunders

RS Sr Chugunov
RS Jr Saunders
2019 QB recruit

I see zero issue here
BTW, my guess is Bagent ends up at Marshall(at this point).

Chris Hatcher (Harlon Hill Trophy)

Kliff Kingsbury (Wes Welker)

B.J. Symons (Wes Welker)

Sonny Cumbie (Jarrett Hicks)

Cody Hodges (Joel Filiani)

Graham Harrell (Michael Crabtree)

Case Keenan (Tyron Carrier)

Brandon Weeden (Justin Blackmon)

Geno Smith (Tavon Austin/Steadman Bailey)

Clint Trickett (Kevin White)

Skyler Howard (Dakiel Shorts/Shelton Gibson)

Dana has not been able to recruit a kid out of high school and develop them into a starting QB yet. We will take a QB in this class.

My point in my QB list above is that these are all players under the direct coaching of DH, whether he was the QB coach, OC/QB/WR coach, whatever. I can only assume that he picked these players (except Geno). I also added the WR that the QB also had on the team. In each case the receiver caught for over 1,000 yard in a season under that QB.

Most of the QBs never played at the next level or only for a short time and poorly. Most of the WRs that went on to the pros had/have/will have more than an unremarkable career. I had forgotten that Wes Welker had played at TTU, you can't get much better.

Point being, maybe DH's strength is not the great QB, but getting the right combination of a servicable QB and a great WR.

Reactions: planebill
My point in my QB list above is that these are all players under the direct coaching of DH, whether he was the QB coach, OC/QB/WR coach, whatever. I can only assume that he picked these players (except Geno). I also added the WR that the QB also had on the team. In each case the receiver caught for over 1,000 yard in a season under that QB.

Most of the QBs never played at the next level or only for a short time and poorly. Most of the WRs that went on to the pros had/have/will have more than an unremarkable career. I had forgotten that Wes Welker had played at TTU, you can't get much better.

Point being, maybe DH's strength is not the great QB, but getting the right combination of a servicable QB and a great WR.
To make the next move in the Big 12 we need more then serviceable QB's, Dana has a track record of developing pro wideouts but not QB's. We need this to improve.

Then I suppose we don't have to worry about an injury in 2017? Bottom line is: DH has continually failed to recruit, keep, develop a young, ready to play QB in his "system" whatever the hell that is.

Chris Chugunov is a So. next season
Saunders is a Fr next season.

If Grier goes down, either of those two can ball.

Reactions: Cavaleer

I could be wrong, but in Grier played at UofF as a true Freshman and red shirted this year. That gives him 3 years to play 3 or through 2019. WVU was not taking another QB unless it was Blackman. So if Blackmen does stay in Fla, we probably won't take anyone else.

Next year and the year after will be critical to have several recruits in house to for 2020.

I could be wrong, but in Grier played at UofF as a true Freshman and red shirted this year. That gives him 3 years to play 3 or through 2019. WVU was not taking another QB unless it was Blackman. So if Blackmen does stay in Fla, we probably won't take anyone else.

Next year and the year after will be critical to have several recruits in house to for 2020.
According to published reports, since this was an NCAA suspension it automatically comes with the loss of eligibility for one season. Therefore, three years to play two if he wanted to take a redshirt now. Otherwise he's got two years.

Having the best basketball year since 2010 and everyone wants to argue about the football mess. Lol.

Having the best basketball year since 2010 and everyone wants to argue about the football mess. Lol.

There you go again anti WVU trolling as usual. Football mess? WVU just won TEN games and won ESPNs BIG 12 coach of the year and was up for NATIONAL coach of the year honors--and you claim that a "football mess". What a moron.

8599447_G.jpg

10 win season.

Top 25 ranking.

What a mess.

Funny how the same people who claimed WVU would struggle to be bowl eligible now claim a 10 win season and top 25 finish is not enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT