ADVERTISEMENT

Position Potential

Wessew

Redshirting
Aug 10, 2018
Going into the season here is my thoughts on potential of each position group:

QB- obvious strength of team, only real concern is no backup QB expierence
Position Potential- a healthy Grier means a record breaking year, probably among best of all time QB play

RB- does the fact that the depth chart indicates none of the four backs, McKoy, Petteway, Sinkfield, or Brown has earned clear cut starter role mean they are all real good or no one has wowed the coaches
My guess is two will play lion share of snaps and it could be any combo of the group, but my guess is McCoy will be starter and the other three will get game opportunity the first three games to see who emerges as number two. I predict Sinkfield is that person, with Petteway or Brown becoming short yardage back
Position Potential- questionable in my mind right now, someone has to emerge and be a 15-18 carry back for 75 to 90 yards a game . I see McCoy maxing out in that range . Thinking this can be a good group, but unless Sinkfield really breaks out, there is no star in the group

WR- be hard to argue that this is not the best group in school history .I judge that on the number three reciever , Marcus Simms. There have been great duos Foreman/Saunders and Bailet/Austin but IMO, no group had the depth this years group does .If TJ Simmons is who we hope then its not a debate
Position Potential- like QB, records should fall

OL- i like , for first time in many years, there is true depth .Look no further than last years starting center apparently beaten out in camp. Looks like a true nine or ten man rotation
Position Potential- can be a top three B12 unit if depth can be utilized , may finally be able to line up and get that fourth and one

DL- this could go a number of directions, but like the O line depth appears like atleast a possibility
Position Potential- ?? What does Bigelow have in the tank, how good is Robinson? On paper this appears to be a group that can hold its own and that would be progress

LB- David Long and any other two LBs would be a decent group .Right now, thats what we have. Long and commitee. Essential that Tonkery and Benton play well
Position Potential- can be solid group but not enough depth to ask for much more

Secondary- most questions of any position
Which Askew-Henry shows up? Are corners ready for B12 Guantlet? How much does Kenny Robinson improve?
Position Potential- a healthy Askew-Henry probably makes difference between strength or weakness in secondary .Safeties have chance to be B12 best unit , but asking more than average CB play is probably a bit much

Special Teams-
Make or break side of the ball IMO.
Dependable kicker , average punter, very good return men, coverage teams always a question
Position Potential- overall a B to B- grade would be high end .Doesnt have to win games, just dont lose them

At best Oklahoma State 2017

At worse West Virginia 2017

If the Big XII top drops and if no other team makes a tremendous jump WV can win the Big XII being Oklahoma St from last year

ADVERTISEMENT