ADVERTISEMENT

Players Love Holgerson!

It's great that the players love the head coach... ..even endorse him.

Does his contract include a bonus clause because of it... No ? Why not ?

It's great that the players love the head coach... ..even endorse him.

Does his contract include a bonus clause because of it... No ? Why not ?

He doesn't get a bonus if a collection of couch potato message board users love him either but unlike them, I'll assume the opinions of his players actually does matter to him.

There was a statement in there that to me was 1 of the reasons WHY I like Holgorsen so much. KJ Dillon said, "He really doesn't care what ANYONE outside the locker room thinks!"

His pressers when I've watched them to me are entertaining cause he cares nothing about them. Every generic answer you hear and still say nothing. He's like a Bill Belichek with less personality and more attitude. Now I'm not in the media though so my take is different..

Also I do love the fact he would just as soon give metronews the finger before going on any of their programs. Perhaps them suing Oliver & WVU pissed him off. Nah he probably never like them anyway.

Most important I feel he knows what he is doing. If he didn't he wouldn't have had so many good offenses everywhere he's ever been including WVU. His offense has made sooo many qbs NFL draft picks and record breakers.

To me that's all I want in a coach. The coach doesn't have to be my friend (who btw I have to donate major $$$$$$ to in order to hang out with. Hookers operate on a similar business model). Besides I got enough of my own friends, most I don't want to hang out with.

I don't think he's fake or carrying on about anything. I don't want a coach who stands up there and says, "I'll be here as long as you'll have me." Just be who you are. Don't act like you're planning to run for office and are concerned about image. Just coach them up!

He doesn't get a bonus if a collection of couch potato message board users love him either but unlike them, I'll assume the opinions of his players actually does matter to him.

I'm sure player opinions do matter to him (certainly more than mine).. ...just not to the people that have certain higher expectations and actually have a say regarding his career.

You're a smart man (as you've advertised endlessly) so I have little doubt that you understand that DH does care what other people outside the locker room, media comes to mind, think of him. Dana obviously circled the wagons and went with the 'us vs. the world' motivation....mostly because he had no choice.

So ? ....the players went with it.

---------

DH is improving as a head coach (certainly on game day)and at the same time feeling some pressure regarding job security... ...which I happen to think will make him better. I certainly feel WVU made an investment in the man and I'd hate to see them lose him before he starts paying dividends.

Reactions: hunterspot1
Not a statement on Dana, pro or con, but the Browns just fired a coach that the players really liked. Most football pundits up this way think that was one of their major problems. He didn't make them work hard..Wanted to motivate them with kindness rather than hard work and discipline. Not saying that is Dana's problem, I don't know. Just saying liking the coach doesn't necessarily lead to wins.

Reactions: Orlaco
DH is improving as a head coach (certainly on game day)

Respectfully disagree. Pooch kicking late in the game with a one-point lead? Punting to K-State's best player and one of the leading punt returners in the country? Here's a news flash: you are allowed to punt the ball OUT OF BOUNDS (which we NEVER do btw). Leading late in a game and running the ball with Smallwood gaining 7 yards a play and we decide to pass the ball? On 4th and 1, calling a running play with the slowest guy on the field?

I could do this all day long, but there's no sense in rubbing it in.

Respectfully disagree. Pooch kicking late in the game with a one-point lead? Punting to K-State's best player and one of the leading punt returners in the country? Here's a news flash: you are allowed to punt the ball OUT OF BOUNDS (which we NEVER do btw). Leading late in a game and running the ball with Smallwood gaining 7 yards a play and we decide to pass the ball? On 4th and 1, calling a running play with the slowest guy on the field?

You're not wrong...thx for not rubbing it in.

what does "players love the coach" have to do with the coach being a good coach...as in being more than so-so every year. They probably loved him the year the Mountaineers were 4-8 too! This is one limp post...that of course pushes the pro Dana crowd's agenda. Wins and losses count as in how you do when not playing lower division pay for a win games etc. LOL.

Great article and the video is a "must see". Most of the trolls and low information fans are staying away from this thread, except for country roadkill and a few others.

Roadkill+Cook-off.jpg

Pooch Kick at the end of the game was the right call.

Not a statement on Dana, pro or con, but the Browns just fired a coach that the players really liked. Most football pundits up this way think that was one of their major problems. He didn't make them work hard..Wanted to motivate them with kindness rather than hard work and discipline. Not saying that is Dana's problem, I don't know. Just saying liking the coach doesn't necessarily lead to wins.

Making any comparison of any coach to the coaching in Cleveland is a baaaad idea. Bare with me. The GM and ownership group there are horrible. Remember They drafted Johnny Football in the 1st round. Denver drafting Teebow at a similar position thinks drafting Johnny Foorball is dumb. Since 1999 they've not had 1 1st round draft pick be a pro bowler.

Their other draft picks & their drafts are just as pathetic. I can't name anyone in the first 3 rounds drafted more than 4 seasons ago who is still there. Kevin Costner, Jennifer Garner, and the dude who used to be on MTVtalking about Cindy Crawford 20+ years back (Dennis Leary) had a better "Draft Day" than what the real Browns have had since Belichek left in 95.

That place is baaaad

My first five words were "not a statement on Dana". I was addressing the idea of loving the coach, no matter who. I wasn't comparing Dana to Pettine. I was comparing a possible situation. And I don't want to bare with you. I'll keep my clothes on thank you.
'

3xWVUenginEER, didn't mean to sound snarky. Just feeling ornery and couldn't resist the bare with me jibe. You are 1000% correct though. The Browns are an absolute mess, Top to bottom. But I love it. I have a ball listening to the local media whining, complaining, ranting, and reliving the good old days. Not a big NFL fan, but when I watch I prefer dos Steelers.

what does "players love the coach" have to do with the coach being a good coach...as in being more than so-so every year. They probably loved him the year the Mountaineers were 4-8 too! This is one limp post...that of course pushes the pro Dana crowd's agenda. Wins and losses count as in how you do when not playing lower division pay for a win games etc. LOL.
The article is pointing out that Dana and the football team don't give 2 shits what people like you think. Dana and the team are pretty much saying 'you're not a supporter so move along'... in a nice way.
[WVU]

A team is a team because it supports each member...including the coaches. Can't understand why an article like this is news to some folks. LOL The team would support a new coach as well.

No one is acting like it's news or some revelation but you're right, a team supports each member just like a "fan" supports the team. If you're not a supporter then I'm not sure you'd have any reason to even watch the games. If you hate Dana and want him to lose, you may as well find another team to bandwagon with. There's two good teams playing for the NC. Pick one of them to "support".

Agree here, but it's still a feather in his cap IMO. That the players work hard for him to me signifies that they want to win for him and to me that's important.

I also thought, that his emotion on the sidelines (Skylar missing the wide open Stills was one) shows Dana is all in. He also puts a big emphasis on the bowl game. Granted he had no choice lol, but it's still nice to see.

BTW: Don't hate DH at all. Have met him and actually think he is cool, however I firmly believe that he is not a good HC at this point for WVU. His record says the same thing.

Players loved Stew and Rodriguez, as well...

I believe it is ok to say that BIll Stewart was loved by his players because they gave all they had for him. But Rich's team seemed to play better for Bill in the Fiesta bowl then they did for Rod with a national championship on the line. In additions, the kids at Michigan did not seem to get too emotional over rod getting fired from what I remember. I do not like to see the previous 2 coaches mentioned in the same sentence together. Bill was a better man that the traitor will ever be!

I believe it is ok to say that BIll Stewart was loved by his players because they gave all they had for him. But Rich's team seemed to play better for Bill in the Fiesta bowl then they did for Rod with a national championship on the line. In additions, the kids at Michigan did not seem to get too emotional over rod getting fired from what I remember. I do not like to see the previous 2 coaches mentioned in the same sentence together. Bill was a better man that the traitor will ever be!
I think that Rodriguez is a piece of human feces, but I have plenty of friends who played for him at Glenville, played for him at WVU, and worked with him at Glenville or WVU. I would have thought that what he did to us would have changed their opinion on him, but it didn't. I honestly don't care that he left, but HOW he left was completely classless...

Reactions: countryroads89
I think that Rodriguez is a piece of human feces, but I have plenty of friends who played for him at Glenville, played for him at WVU, and worked with him at Glenville or WVU. I would have thought that what he did to us would have changed their opinion on him, but it didn't. I honestly don't care that he left, but HOW he left was completely classless...

Exactly. I know someone who played for him at Clemson. They don't like him (that's being polite).

Exactly. I know someone who played for him at Clemson. They don't like him (that's being polite).
Yah, I'm sure that not everyone likes him -- especially those he lied to and left hanging here, his last year. I'm just surprised at how many still do, after what he did...

MountaineerWV busy revoking Chestnut's fan card as we speak.

Players loved Rich Rod......Stewart......Nehlen........even through bad years.......so, what's your point? I expect the players to support their coach. That's what they should do. If they didn't, then there is a huge problem.

I'm glad I am still in your head. Good to know. By the way, go find that academic message board since you care about the university and not the sports teams. I know it's out of jealousy because you probably didn't attend WVU after all, or maybe a semester and then went to Fairmont.......or do I remember something about you posting you had a degree from.....Pitt?

Players loved Rich Rod......Stewart......Nehlen........even through bad years.......so, what's your point? I expect the players to support their coach. That's what they should do. If they didn't, then there is a huge problem.

I'm glad I am still in your head. Good to know. By the way, go find that academic message board since you care about the university and not the sports teams. I know it's out of jealousy because you probably didn't attend WVU after all, or maybe a semester and then went to Fairmont.......or do I remember something about you posting you had a degree from.....Pitt?

LOL - No, you wouldnt remember that. Nice try.

Swing and a miss for our resident couch potato.

Maybe it wasn't you. But someone on here did say they had a degree from Pitt. Just can't remember who....

Wasn't me, but I'm certain I know who you're referring too and honestly I'm not sure what the big deal is - going to class means getting off the couch and maybe putting on real pants.

Wasn't me, but I'm certain I know who you're referring too and honestly I'm not sure what the big deal is - going to class means getting off the couch and maybe putting on real pants.

Because, you have yourself made the claim that unless a person attended WVU, they are not truly "invested" in the university and cannot be a "fan" like WVU students and alumni. Pretty sure that was you....

White, Devine and company loved Stew I'm guessing. So are you now saying we should have kept Stew? Having a coach that players like is fine as long as he does his job. I don't think what the players think will count much this time next season. It will be Dana's record and his teams performance on the field that determine his fate!

White, Devine and company loved Stew I'm guessing. So are you now saying we should have kept Stew? Having a coach that players like is fine as long as he does his job. I don't think what the players think will count much this time next season. It will be Dana's record and his teams performance on the field that determine his fate!

No, they aren't saying that because that doesn't fit THEIR agenda. [thumbsup]

I don't care how much the players love him if it's not translating to atleast a winning Big XII record

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT