ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Players and Assistants Release: 9-18

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (September 18, 2018) - West Virginia University associate head coach/defensive coordinator Tony Gibson, offensive coordinator Jake Spavital and select members of the West Virginia University football team met with the media on Tuesday, Sept. 18, at the Milan Puskar Center Team Room.

Assistant Coach (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks) Jake Spavital

On last year’s offensive performance against Kansas State

I really don’t think we did a lot of good things throughout the course of the game. I think we turned the ball over too many times. I thought we weren’t efficient in running the football. I thought we had a lot of dropped passes. The thing that we did well was, in the second quarter, we big-played them. That’s something that we’ve put an emphasis on all through the offseason. This is one of the games that sparked our talks about efficiency and high percentage throws, high percentage plays and making sure the run game is popping effectively. That’s when you look back and see how they played us last year. They played us how they normally play people. I think once we didn’t capitalize on running the ball efficiently and the dropped passes, then they started playing more man (coverage) on us. They, I thought, were more a physical team as well. That’s something that we have to be on point with this week is making sure that we have a physical edge, we’re taking care of the football, making sure we’re taking high percentage throws, being efficient with the football and pick-and-choose when we want to big-play them.

On judging the offense’s efficiency two games in

I think it’s way too early to say, but I think we’re on track to where we want to go. I think a lot of that is the maturity of our team. I think that we’re a different offense than what we were last year, just from the amount of snaps these kids have played. Still, we wanted to play last week. I thought that was going to be big to get another game under our belts, before we went into conference play. But you have to just roll with the punches on that, and make sure that we’re practicing well and getting better each week at what we do. As you can see, when you sit around and watch college football all day Saturday, it’s a pretty tough league. We have to make sure that we’re continuing to improve as an offense each week.

On how third-down conversion rates have been improved on offense

There’s a lot to it. It goes back to maturity, it goes back to efficiency talks that we’ve had. We’ve had a ton of conversations about it. I think a lot of it goes down to the amount of time we spent on third downs. We sit down as a staff, and I go through it three or four times a week with the staff to make sure we’re on point with what we want to call in certain situations. A lot of it is coaching, a lot of it is putting these players in a better position to have success, and I think it’s also just the maturity of these group of guys.

On how he plans to approach Kansas State’s defensive scheme

I think we have to be disciplined with our communication – understanding what they’re trying to accomplish on that play. I think they caught us in a few things last year when we had run game called, and they shot a blitz or to a box that was outmanned. We just didn’t get into any audibles. We just have to make sure that we have a good feeling with what they’re trying to do to us and make sure we get into the right play. It’s going to be a big week for (redshirt senior quarterback) Will (Grier) in terms of managing that. You sit there and study a lot of tape on them, and there’s not very many tendencies these guys have. You just have to make sure these kids are on point – they’re making sure they catch them in the right scenarios, communicate it out to everybody and make sure everyone is on the same page.

On using the play clock to help get a better feel for Kansas State’s defense on each play

I think a lot of that is getting (redshirt senior quarterback) Will (Grier) up on the line and letting him decipher it. They do a good job. It’s a Bill Snyder-coached team. They continually get better. It’s like I’ve been saying about our offense, we need to as well. You can see the difference in their defense from week one to week three. They’re playing at a higher level than what they were playing at the beginning of the year. They going to continually keep getting better. That’s something that we have to make sure that we’re doing the right things from an offensive standpoint, because they’re going to be ready for everything that we throw at them.

On if the game against Kansas State can help him measure where the offense is heading into Big 12 play

Yeah, I think when you start conference play, then it’s going to matter. We’ve had a lot of talks, like I’ve been saying, but this is going to be a time for us to go out there and see what we’re capable of doing. But I think anytime you get into conference play, you have to make sure you’re playing efficient football.

On more or less tempo on offense against Kansas State’s defense

I think you can do a little bit of everything. At some point, we have to be us. We can’t completely change who we are just for one opponent, but there are some things that we can do definitely to play into our favor.

On what Mississippi State did to expose Kansas State’s run defense in week two

They’re (Mississippi State) a running football team, and they do a lot of quarterback run game. That’s why they (Kansas State) do play a lot more man (coverage). They played a lot more man against Mississippi State, because they were doing a lot of quarterback runs. So, they’re going to get that added hat into the run defense just because of the threat of Mississippi State with QB run game. That’s a whole other dimension. You guys saw that with Pat White for all those years. Defenses are going to play them differently than how they’ll play us.

On if redshirt senior quarterback Will Grier will get 15 to 20 carries this week

No, I’m out of that business.

On Pat White and Steve Slaton being inducted into the WVU Hall of Fame

I saw a lot of them growing up. I don’t know exactly where I was, but they were fun to watch. I thought that they put West Virginia on the map for me. For a lot of people that were in the Midwest, including a lot of the opponents we go up against, I think that Pat White, Steve Slaton and Owen Schmitt were the guys that put everybody on the map. They were fun to watch. They were. You watched them against Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. I think Steve Slaton went off early in that game, which caught the attention of a lot of people. Then, to just watch Pat White throughout his career, it’s pretty cool to sit here and be a part of that and watch them get inducted this weekend.

On if the hurry-up plays have been more absent this season with the offense

I think a lot of it is picking and choosing when we want to take our shots. I was big on going up-tempo after a first down to try to get a shot downfield and get something cheap. I think, over the course of time, with all the offensive efficiency talks we’ve had, it’s good for us to not do that as much and make sure we’re in the proper play call.

On if conference games are different because of familiarity

Yeah, they don’t change very much. You still see a lot of bodies that played against us last year, just not in starting roles. They (Kansas State) do play a lot of different guys throughout the course of the game. I think going into the UTSA game, they were a little banged up in certain areas. So, you’ll see a lot of the back-ups playing in some major roles. You watch how Coach (Bill) Snyder runs his program, how he develops them through the course of special teams and they end up being in the nickel packages and the substitutions for the d-line, safeties and linebackers. They play them periodically throughout the game. You see them go from a special teams role, a minimal role into being a starter. There’s a lot of familiar faces. They’re just in a major role now.

On his takeaways from this past week’s scrimmages

I think the kids are ready to play. I think that it kind of hurt the routine. We were expecting them to go six or seven straight games before the bye week. I think these guys are just anxious to get out there now. So, it’s more of making sure we’re fine tuning the game plan, making sure that we’re staying sharp with what we’re trying to accomplish, and I think these kids are going to be ready. I think the challenge is going to be this week, more than anything. I think they’re locked in. We’re going to change up practice a little bit, because we have some good days of preparation for them, but it is time to go out there and play.

On how plays on first and second down affect third down play-calling

I don’t really think about that. On first and second down, you have to have a good balance of what you’re trying to accomplish. I try to make sure that we’re running the ball, doing our play actions and screens and our drop back. We’re just trying to have a good mixture of all that and not have all these tendencies of what we’re trying to do. With having (redshirt senior quarterback) Will (Grier) and being around him long enough, the familiarity that you’re talking about is more comfortable from a play-calling standpoint for him to get us into the right play on third down. But on first and second down, we have to play ball and make sure that we’re setting up things later in the game and having a good flow of the play calls.

Associate Head Coach (Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers) Tony Gibson

On the key to stopping Kansas State’s quarterback run

It’s tough. They do a really good job with that, and they have their whole offensive line back. So, we’re going to have some issues. We have to load the box up a little bit, bring an extra safety down in and try to account for him.

On making changes to technique to counteract Kansas State’s offense

No, we’ll try to penetrate gaps and get up the field more. We’ll try to get in the backfield. We have had success with that the last few years with negative plays, but the quarterbacks do a really good job. They’re patient. Then, when they find their seam, they’ll go. I think (Alex) Delton runs a little better than (Skylar) Thompson. We have to be ready for that.

On if junior safety JoVanni Stewart’s size presents any challenges against Kansas State

Yeah, it is a challenge. (redshirt junior linebacker) Shea (Campbell) and (redshirt freshman linebacker) Exree (Loe) will be called upon more. There will be a little bit more four-down stuff, as well. We have to do a good job of mixing that up, and when we do use him, it will be coming off edges and maybe blowing through gaps – that kind of stuff.

On the biggest challenge of preparing for head coach Bill Snyder and Kansas State

They’re going to be physical. They’re going to run the ball. They’re not going to be a team that’s going to be in a four or five-wide set and tempo you, like the rest of the Big 12. I think they’re more double tight, fullbacks, tight ends. We’re going to see a lot of things, and they’re going to be physical and try to control possessions and the clock.

On redshirt junior linebacker Shea Campbell’s response to not starting versus Youngstown State

He’s had a good few days of practice, and he’s ready to go. I wouldn’t hesitate, at all, to put him in.

On Pat White and Steve Slaton being inducted into the WVU Hall of Fame

I had a lot of good ones (memories), with Avon (Cobourne) as well. I was here with him. All three of those guys were dynamic with the ball in their hands. I’m glad they were on our team. We didn’t have to defend them. The Louisville game sticks out more than anything with Pat and Steve and the Sugar Bowl, as well.

On if it’s beneficial to start off Big 12 play with Kansas State

It does. If you look at Youngstown (State), a lot of the stuff that Youngstown was doing, run game-wise, is a lot like what Kansas State does with a mobile quarterback that can run a little bit. So, there’s a lot of carryover for our guys right now.

On how redshirt senior defensive lineman Kenny Bigelow Jr.’s positivity affects his teammates

It’s helped a lot by getting a mature guy in who’s played a lot of football. This is his last chance. This is it for him. He’s put a lot of work in to get to this point, and I think it’s helped that room so much, not only with the d-line but the linebackers, the safeties and the corners. But he’s just such a positive guy. He comes to practice and goes to work every day. He works his tail off in the weight room. He’s a great teammate, and I’m glad we have him.

On if Kansas State is similar to Tennessee and Youngstown State

Yeah, they’re going to run the ball first and try to take shots. They’ll get you one-on-one outside with double moves and different things like that. A lot of that stuff is what we’ve been preparing for. It’s totally different from the rest of the Big 12.

On how Kansas State utilizes the fullback position

They’re using their tight ends more. Then, they’re also using two tailbacks. They went to that this past week. We’re going to be ready for a little bit of all that, with both tailbacks in the game. They ran some counter stuff. They’ll still break out an option every once and a while. They’ll do some different things with them.

On how much pressure is on the linebackers to make the right calls against Kansas State

A bunch. If you look back at last year, (redshirt junior linebacker) David Long (Jr.) probably played his best game as a Mountaineer last year at their place. He was all over the field. Al (-Rasheed Benton) played well, (redshirt sophomore linebacker Dylan) Tonkery played well. So, we put a lot on those three last year, and they got it done. That scares me a little bit going into this game with inexperience at our SAM linebacker. Tonkery and David know what to expect, but those SAM linebackers haven’t seen this kind of offense, the down-hill run game we’re going to get and the extra hat with running their quarterback so much.

On the importance of having redshirt senior safety Dravon Askew-Henry at SPUR against Kansas State

It’s very important, and with (redshirt senior safety) Toyous (Avery Jr.) at bandit (safety). We’ll have to use all those guys down in the box, which is going to put a little more pressure on our corners and on (sophomore safety) Kenny (Robinson) back at free (safety). We have to play assignment football. This is just like playing an option team. You have to make sure you do your job, because if you don’t, they’re going to kill you with quarterback run.

On redshirt junior cornerback Keith Washington Jr.

Obviously, we’re pretty high on him after the Youngstown (State) game. We gave him our defensive player of the game. He’s had a good week and a half of practice getting ready. I think his confidence is up right now. Getting to go against (junior wide receiver) Marcus (Simms) every day in practice, and also (senior wide receiver) Gary (Jennings Jr.), (senior wide receiver) David (Sills V) and (redshirt sophomore wide receiver) T.J. (Simmons). I think it’s really helped him, and he’s getting better and better as the day goes on. So, we like where he’s at. We think he's going to be a big part of what we do from here on out. All four of those guys are going to play and play a bunch.

Redshirt Senior Quarterback Will Grier

On Saturday’s Big 12 opener versus Kansas State

It’s that time of the year. We have to take it one game at a time. We have to focus on Kansas State right now. It’s a challenging week. So, we are looking forward to the competition.

On switching to conference play

I think our mindset as players and as leaders is the mindset that we need to instill in this team is just take it one game at a time. Tennessee wasn’t in our conference, but we looked at that as the biggest game for us that week. It was the same with Youngstown State, and now it’s Kansas State. From an outsider perspective it’s kind of different, but for us in our locker room we’re going to try to keep that one game at a time mentality.

On taming his competitive nature

That’s how I’m wired, but I think you can put that competitiveness into doing it the smarter way. I’ve tried to do that, transform the way I play and get away from those kinds of plays. I’m used it in a different way. I’m going to continue to grow in that area and get better as the season goes.

Senior Wide Receiver David Sills V

On how he spent the weekend off from play

Watching football. I just tried to watch as much football as I could. I can’t really remember the last weekend when I sat down and watched college football games. It’s definitely very refreshing, but we’re excited to get back out there this week.

On being so successful on third down this season

I think it’s something that we focused on a lot in the offseason. I think that’s something that (assistant) Coach (offensive coordinator/quarterbacks Jake Spavital) Spav and Coach Holgorsen put a huge emphasis on – being able to convert critical downs. That’s something that we took a lot of pride in. I think because we took so much pride in it in the offseason, worked on it spring ball and fall camp, that’s now showing on the field. But, now going into Big 12 play, we’re going to face some pretty stout defenses. So, we have to continue to convert on third down.

On the team’s anxiousness to get back out on the field

It feels like how we were when we were in camp – we’re trying to get back out there. It feels like it’s been a lot longer than a week off without playing football. We have good energy. We had a lift this morning and had good energy in the lift. So, we need to have good energy at practice and through the rest of the week. But I don’t think that’s going to be hard this week. I think a lot of the guys are excited to get back out there. Our bodies feel good. So, we’re excited to play Kansas State this weekend.

Redshirt Defensive Lineman Kenny Bigelow Jr.

On settling in through the first two games

I feel like I’m settling in fine with these guys. I feel like this defense is great. It’s a very fast, fun, attacking defense. I feel like the guys are great. It meshes, and they’re very fast, very physical. For me, if I can continue to develop up the middle, then I think we can do some great things.

On the physical matchup against Kansas State’s offensive line

I think it’s going to be a great test for us. It’s the first conference game here at 3:30 (p.m.). It’s going to be up to us to go out and set the tempo of this game. If we can go out there and control the line of scrimmage, then I think we can have some great success.

On not over-preparing for Kansas State

We’ve been watching the film. We got out there, we ran around, and we tried not to kill our bodies too much. The coaches have done a great job here preparing us, but not over-preparing us for Kansas State. We definitely feel like we’re ready, both mentally and physically.

Redshirt Junior Linebacker David Long Jr.

On comparison of Kansas State to other Big 12 teams

You just know what you’re going to get from Kansas State. They’re always a nice team to play; it’s not an easy game. They’re who I played in my first start two years ago. Kansas State is always physical, sound and a good team to play.

On Kansas State’s returning players

The whole offensive line is back. The two quarterbacks are probably going to be new to us. We’re all planned for it, we had a week to prepare. We can keep preparing this week.

On beating Kansas State’s style the last two years

Both games we played good defense against Kansas State. We just played them hard. The offense made some plays that got us the win, but I don’t remember too many things specifically during the game that helped us out. I do know that we played some great defense last year. Will Grier and his guys made some plays too.

ADVERTISEMENT