ADVERTISEMENT

Pizza on the Egg

1WVU

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA

Combing through posts this morning (woke up and couldn't get back to sleep) and saw a post from @backcountry mounty regarding 00 flour for pizza, so thought I'd share. I've been using 00 flour lately for my pizza and this was the latest. A simple Margarita pizza cooked at 750 degrees on my Egg. Dough was light and the 00 flour makes it easier to shape the pizza as well. I'm a believer

Combing through posts this morning (woke up and couldn't get back to sleep) and saw a post from @backcountry mounty regarding 00 flour for pizza, so thought I'd share. I've been using 00 flour lately for my pizza and this was the latest. A simple Margarita pizza cooked at 750 degrees on my Egg. Dough was light and the 00 flour makes it easier to shape the pizza as well. I'm a believer
Tasty looking pie. How long are you keeping the dough before using? As long as you're allowing the dough time to ferment and relax, and not working with it (ie. portioning, reballing), all flour should be pretty easy to work with when shaping the pizza. 00 flour is on the bottom end of the spectrum of high protein flours, so there's still the possibility of a lot of gluten-which is good. I used to do a 3 day cold ferment, then allow the dough to rest (covered of course) at room temperature, until the internal temp of the ball is near 65 deg. then spread and dress. Type of flour shouldn't make too much of a difference as far as workability is concerned, as long as procedure is consistent.

Tasty looking pie. How long are you keeping the dough before using? As long as you're allowing the dough time to ferment and relax, and not working with it (ie. portioning, reballing), all flour should be pretty easy to work with when shaping the pizza. 00 flour is on the bottom end of the spectrum of high protein flours, so there's still the possibility of a lot of gluten-which is good. I used to do a 3 day cold ferment, then allow the dough to rest (covered of course) at room temperature, until the internal temp of the ball is near 65 deg. then spread and dress. Type of flour shouldn't make too much of a difference as far as workability is concerned, as long as procedure is consistent.

What I've experienced is that when I used bread flour, the dough had more "springiness"; when forming the dough into the pizza circle it would spring back quite considerably. I was using a different recipe than I use now with the 00 so that could have been the issue. Basically letting the dough raise around 15 hours, then proofing for an hour.

I'm new to making my own dough so I appreciate your comments.

Reactions: rex rEERSie
What I've experienced is that when I used bread flour, the dough had more "springiness"; when forming the dough into the pizza circle it would spring back quite considerably. I was using a different recipe than I use now with the 00 so that could have been the issue. Basically letting the dough raise around 15 hours, then proofing for an hour.

I'm new to making my own dough so I appreciate your comments.

Not trying to jack your thread. Again, pie looks delicious. The comment about the dough being difficult to spread caught my eye. What i've noticed is that there are a couple things that can make a dough hard to spread. They are: dough having been worked with prior to spreading, dough not being allowed to come to room temp, or at least close to it and too low of a hydration percentage. 00 flour requires a lower percentage of water than most flours, so if the recipe was somewhat the same as your original in terms of bakers' percentages, that may be the answer. I usually shoot for 62-65%. The additional water will make it more "pliable," but will also make it more sticky, and require more flour to work with it and spread it (semolina flour works very well). Ya really want as much water as possible, but to where you can still work with it. It will produce a better crust than a lower percentage and will also increases crispiness. Anyway, good looking pie.

Reactions: 1WVU
ADVERTISEMENT