ADVERTISEMENT

Pens' Western swing

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
I presume you guys heard Connor McDavid broke his collar bone last night (and there goes NBCSN's ratings for their upcoming Sunday night telecast versus Chicago). I guess I don't have that much against the Oilers, but I do hope they're still figuring things out (even though they have 2 full open days to plan) when the Pens arrive on Friday night.

Meanwhile, I assume Zatkoff will get a start. I myself was assuming MAF would start tonight in Vancouver.....which I believe has been confirmed.....and Calgary, leaving JZ to play the middle game in Edmonton. And with McDavid out, you'd think playing Zatkoff in Edmonton is an even easier decision. That said, something is telling me Johnston prefers to play MAF in the first game of back-to-backers (meaning Edmonton here), thereby leaving JZ to play in Calgary. I also know I'm badly overthinking this.

I've also been reading that Sid is avoiding the local Press. His bad streak has obviously gotten to him.....as you'd expect.....and he's been getting some media heat for apparently "refusing" to play below the goal line on the PP. I myself would like to see him just a little more publicly "angry" at the way things are going....which, of course, has absolutely never been his style. So, getting very far away from Pittsburgh for a few days might be the best thing he could ask for right now.

I myself am figuring on (or hoping for) at least two regulation wins on this trip, and would really like to see one of them in Vancouver. Presumably, Brandon Sutter is going to be ready to play.....though. I'm not sure he's the kind of player who can really make them "pay" for trading him (even though he knew he was eventually going to get traded). OTOH, Bonino should be more-than-ready to at least bang on the team who traded him a month after buying his new home.

Assuming Ryan Miller starts tonight, I consider that to be a net plus for the Pens (and for Sid).

Last edited:
I presume you guys heard Connor McDavid broke his collar bone last night (and there goes NBCSN's ratings for their upcoming Sunday night telecast versus Chicago). I guess I don't have that much against the Oilers, but I do hope they're still figuring things out (even though they have 2 full open days to plan) when the Pens arrive on Friday night.

Meanwhile, I assume Zatkoff will get a start. I myself was assuming MAF would start tonight in Vancouver.....which I believe has been confirmed.....and Calgary, leaving JZ to play the middle game in Edmonton. And with McDavid out, you'd think playing Zatkoff in Edmonton is an even easier decision. That said, something is telling me Johnston prefers to play MAF in the first game of back-to-backers (meaning Edmonton here), thereby leaving JZ to play in Calgary. I also know I'm badly overthinking this.

I've also been reading that Sid is avoiding the local Press. His bad streak has obviously gotten to him.....as you'd expect.....and he's been getting some media heat for apparently "refusing" to play below the goal line on the PP. I myself would like to see him just a little more publicly "angry" at the way things are going....which, of course, has absolutely never been his style. So, getting very far away from Pittsburgh for a few days might be the best thing he could ask for right now.

I myself am figuring on (or hoping for) at least two regulation wins on this trip, and would really like to see one of them in Vancouver. Presumably, Brandon Sutter is going to be ready to play.....though. I'm not sure he's the kind of player who can really make them "pay" for trading him (even though he knew he was eventually going to get traded). OTOH, Bonino should be more-than-ready to at least bang on the team who traded him a month after buying his new home.

Assuming Ryan Miller starts tonight, I consider that to be a net plus for the Pens (and for Sid).
I always enjoy your insight C M. 5 minutes or so left in 2nd leading 1-0 and Pens getting ready to go on PP. The way MAF is playing, a 2 goal lead going into 3rd would almost guarantee a W!

Delayed penalty goal by Eric Fehr was a work of art! This game is in the books!

Very nice effort by Fehr on that SHG....even Sid liked it.....but I sure didn't expect it to be the game winner, though.

What I myself like about Fehr......beyond the fact he scores a shorthander every game :wink:......is that he just seems so sure and composed out there on seemingly both ends of the ice. He's obviously not going to be any kind of scorer over time; but his sheer professionalism just seems to jump off the TV screen. He kind-of reminds me of a forward-version of Rob Scuderi in his heyday. Right now, Fehr looks underpaid by at least 50% (if not more).

Funny game last night; seems like the Canucks.....nor the Pens, to be honest......really didn't do much of anything most of the game. Of course, they had the Pens running around/looking borderline lost at those times when things were going their way, like when they fell back into that miserable "prevent defense" in the last 3 minutes. But all told, the Canucks looked like a pretty good skating team, and I thought the Pens skated with them pretty much stride for stride. I also though Sutter looked decent, but at least they kept him off the board.

I made the mistake of watching most of the game on Sportsnet's feed on Center Ice, and was honestly shocked how whiny (about officiating, in particular) Canada's #1 HNIC broadcast team......Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson.....were throughout pretty much the entire game. I guess I appreciate the fact their viewers are 99.999% Canadian.....and can therefore sort-of understand how they'd inherently be pulling for Vancouver....but you'll NEVER hear anything even remotely like that from Doc and Edzo on NBCSN.

Of course, they enjoyed piling on the Pens admittedly-shitty PP.....clearly loved making fun of Sid early in the game (making his PP goal that much more satisfying)......and treated Kessel (due to his difficulty fitting into the Pens offense, and especially the PP) like you'd hear from a couple know-it-all drunks in the upper deck at the ACC. It's no secret the Penguins are probably the most universally disliked team in the sport; but these guys are supposed to be the top P-b-P team on Canada network TV, and didn't even try to hide their negativity.

Mostly because I've never cared for his voice.....Bob Cole, by comparison, makes him sound like someone who ought to be calling Bantam......I admit I've never been a Jim Hughson fan. But, even though he may indeed be way over the hill..... if I'm forced to listen to a P-b-P guy root for a Canadian team.....give me Cole any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Anyway, it's slowly getting to the point I might be forced to turn off Hughson (and Simpson) when he's doing pretty much ANY game from now on.

One more thing; I see that Derrick Pouliot got busted for public intoxication.....glad to see the kid is at least remembering to get drunk while he's out doing his Patrick Kane impression after games in Wilkes Barre.

I read this morning (FRI) the team is currently leaning toward keeping Pouliot in WB/S.....possibly most of this season......because his defense is said to still need work.

Muddying his situation is the fact the Pens defense is widely thought to be playing better than anyone expected......Dumoulin in particular, and apparently Lovejoy too.. Plus they still have Adam Clendening......who the team apparently likes.....who continues to be a healthy scratch. It appears they want to give him a better look at some point, and he now appears to be solidly ahead of Pouliot on the priority chart right now.

Reading between the lines, it appears the team isn't at all happy with DP. Maybe the kid is having trouble dealing psychologically with the unexpected demotion; probably not surprising when you consider he was being viewed last summer in the Press largely as a Top 4 guy. But it sure doesn't sound as though he's gotten the message as to the organization's disappointment in him quite yet; and this drunk charge surely isn't helping. This will be something to watch; the kid admittedly is still only 21 years old, but everyone knows that much younger guys than him have gotten the message and are/were key contributors at a younger age than this.

Meanwhile, Bonino, Cullen, Fehr are said to be earning huge marks for their leadership and the manner in which they've fit into the room. As for Kessel, he's apparently getting somewhat-different kinds of equally-high personal marks, considering he was said to have come in with a reputation as a polarizing figure. I get the impression Sid, in particular, has taken to what I've read is PK's very dry sense of humor.

Troubling news on DP to be certain...I'm just happy that drunkenness didn't involve a vehicle I suppose. Hopefully he grows up and realizes the team has every right to hold him accountable for his actions...
My buddy who's actually on the road to Morgantown with us today was actually at the game in Vancouver the other night, and described it pretty much the same as you CM...he said his friend there with him commented 'Who's the big fella on the Pens this year, he looks good'...'That's Fehr and they got him at a bargain basement price!' :smiley:...he also mentioned he wasn't overly impressed with the Rogers arena...
Speaking of arenas I was at First Niagara last night (first row behind the sin bin), and it is obviously much better than the old Aud, a fair amount of concourse room but imo Consol is still my fave in that regard amongst others...Sabres made an effort of it 2nd period on and Eichel looked engaged in the play for most of the eve.
I have to say I'm not the biggest Hughson fan nowadays...I used to enjoy him a lot more but perhaps the success has gone a bit to his head? He does come off as a bit of a know it all , I'm also unsure how much of the Pens/Vcr commentary has to do with him being a local Western boy...Craig Simpson I could take or leave really...I have always enjoyed (although some dont because of his higher pitched voice) Chris Cuthbert who has done quite a bit of the international hockey broadcasts up here....
Approaching the West Virginia border gentlemen....[banana]...LGM!

Hey, I'd forgotten you were making the trip to Mo'town.....and to the Sabres game last night.

I see the Sabres blitzed the TBL in the 2nd period last night (21 shots) just like they did to the Pens last week in the 3rd. Hard to figure out how a team can be so offensively dominant at times and so inept (10 shots combined in the 1st and 3rd) the rest of the game.

Sounds like you guys had pretty damned nice seats. The last time I was in Buffalo a couple years ago, I seem to recall a helluva lot of development in the area down adjacent to First Niagara; didn't Terry Pegula build an new ice center down there (along with other Commercial space) ??

Now that you mention it, I was thinking at the time that Jim Hughson might be a Western guy.....but I find him equally insufferable when he's doing the Leafs against teams like, well, the Penguins. Speaking of former Pens 1st Round draft choice Craig Simpson, isn't be married to that fox Canadian world-champion pairs figure skater (who's name I can't immediately remember) ?? Anyway, Oil tonight and Flames tomorrow for the Pens.

Meanwhile, bring home a win versus TT; man, Dana's program needs it in the worst way. And tell your buddy he may very well be the first human being ever to spend time in Vancouver and Morgantown in the same week !!!!!

Dupuis hospitalized in Edmonton; presumably (though not confirmed as yet to be) clot-related.

Six in a row!

Euell...Is it better to meet up at the top of 123 bout 2mins before end of 1st half? Not sure...I'll be wearing the blue #13 Buie jersey and WV ballcap if you'd rather this...I'll check for response before gametime...otherwise I will head on down to row 15...no problem...and.......YES 6 IN A ROW!!!!

Hey, I'd forgotten you were making the trip to Mo'town.....and to the Sabres game last night.

I see the Sabres blitzed the TBL in the 2nd period last night (21 shots) just like they did to the Pens last week in the 3rd. Hard to figure out how a team can be so offensively dominant at times and so inept (10 shots combined in the 1st and 3rd) the rest of the game.

Sounds like you guys had pretty damned nice seats. The last time I was in Buffalo a couple years ago, I seem to recall a helluva lot of development in the area down adjacent to First Niagara; didn't Terry Pegula build an new ice center down there (along with other Commercial space) ??

Now that you mention it, I was thinking at the time that Jim Hughson might be a Western guy.....but I find him equally insufferable when he's doing the Leafs against teams like, well, the Penguins. Speaking of former Pens 1st Round draft choice Craig Simpson, isn't be married to that fox Canadian world-champion pairs figure skater (who's name I can't immediately remember) ?? Anyway, Oil tonight and Flames tomorrow for the Pens.

Meanwhile, bring home a win versus TT; man, Dana's program needs it in the worst way. And tell your buddy he may very well be the first human being ever to spend time in Vancouver and Morgantown in the same week !!!!!
Indeed! We had a good laugh on this one CM...scratched our chins and said?..... could be!!!???!!! Lol

Duper rejoined the team in the locker room after the game when test results.....whatever they covered......came back negative. However, he apparently will NOT dress versus Calgary tomorrow night.

Reactions: torontoeers
I read this morning (FRI) the team is currently leaning toward keeping Pouliot in WB/S.....possibly most of this season......because his defense is said to still need work.

Muddying his situation is the fact the Pens defense is widely thought to be playing better than anyone expected......Dumoulin in particular, and apparently Lovejoy too.. Plus they still have Adam Clendening......who the team apparently likes.....who continues to be a healthy scratch. It appears they want to give him a better look at some point, and he now appears to be solidly ahead of Pouliot on the priority chart right now.

Reading between the lines, it appears the team isn't at all happy with DP. Maybe the kid is having trouble dealing psychologically with the unexpected demotion; probably not surprising when you consider he was being viewed last summer in the Press largely as a Top 4 guy. But it sure doesn't sound as though he's gotten the message as to the organization's disappointment in him quite yet; and this drunk charge surely isn't helping. This will be something to watch; the kid admittedly is still only 21 years old, but everyone knows that much younger guys than him have gotten the message and are/were key contributors at a younger age than this.

Meanwhile, Bonino, Cullen, Fehr are said to be earning huge marks for their leadership and the manner in which they've fit into the room. As for Kessel, he's apparently getting somewhat-different kinds of equally-high personal marks, considering he was said to have come in with a reputation as a polarizing figure. I get the impression Sid, in particular, has taken to what I've read is PK's very dry sense of humor.
Kessell with firth
Euell...Is it better to meet up at the top of 123 bout 2mins before end of 1st half? Not sure...I'll be wearing the blue #13 Buie jersey and WV ballcap if you'd rather this...I'll check for response before gametime...otherwise I will head on down to row 15...no problem...and.......YES 6 IN A ROW!!!!
Toronto, Sorry I did not see the message until just now. Anyway, thanks for walking down. It was great to meet you and your buddies! Big win for Mountaineers! I still owe you that Yuengling. Let's go Pens! Win that 7th in a row!

Well, I honestly dozed through most of the game late last night, but the Pens appear to have been beaten fairly convincingly (at least statistically).

Lord knows, MAF was due for a meh game, and second game of a back to back is always a question mark. Add the fact the Flames came in feeling good off their win over the Cryers, and things were set up for something less than perfect. And of course, they still can't count on anything from a scoring standpoint from Sid (though I see Geno had 2 points, and PK a goal). . But 4 points out of 6 out West really isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things.

Meanwhile, glad to see you guys delivered yesterday in Morgantown. I'm not generally the type that piles on college players, and I'm not going to start here. But unless the kid was playing injured, even I'm starting to wonder why Holgs sticks full-time with SH. If we're that shallow (or unprepared) at QB where we can't even take a quick swing at a reserve kid to find some kind of passing spark, the Program may be in bigger trouble than I prefer to acknowledge.

Still, a win is a win.....and for that, I'm quite grateful.

Well, I honestly dozed through most of the game late last night, but the Pens appear to have been beaten fairly convincingly (at least statistically).

Lord knows, MAF was due for a meh game, and second game of a back to back is always a question mark. Add the fact the Flames came in feeling good off their win over the Cryers, and things were set up for something less than perfect. And of course, they still can't count on anything from a scoring standpoint from Sid (though I see Geno had 2 points, and PK a goal). . But 4 points out of 6 out West really isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things.

Meanwhile, glad to see you guys delivered yesterday in Morgantown. I'm not generally the type that piles on college players, and I'm not going to start here. But unless the kid was playing injured, even I'm starting to wonder why Holgs sticks full-time with SH. If we're that shallow (or unprepared) at QB where we can't even take a quick swing at a reserve kid to find some kind of passing spark, the Program may be in bigger trouble than I prefer to acknowledge.

Still, a win is a win.....and for that, I'm quite grateful.
I'm with you CM, I will take the 4 pts out of a trip through the Great White North. I dozed through most of the game also. I was trying to watch some of the USC-UA game and missed most of it also. I would love to see Dick Fraud end the season w/ a 5 game losing streak.
I was glad to see the Mountaineers throw a couple of slant passes. They missed a couple of others that were thrown behind the receivers. I am looking forward to UT game next Saturday.

I'm with you CM, I will take the 4 pts out of a trip through the Great White North. I dozed through most of the game also. I was trying to watch some of the USC-UA game and missed most of it also. I would love to see Dick Fraud end the season w/ a 5 game losing streak.
I was glad to see the Mountaineers throw a couple of slant passes. They missed a couple of others that were thrown behind the receivers. I am looking forward to UT game next Saturday.
It was a pleasure to meet you and your family Euell and will certainly keep in touch!
I didnt see any of last nights Pens game but was score tracking at the cabin...I suppose they were finally due for a loss. 2 outta 3 is a result I'll happily take for sure...
As per Howard...I notice he does have the ability to at least get the deep ball close, the short game seemed to garner some success yesterday, but 2 things concern me...whether it is designed or simply Sky checking off to a run it gains relatively nothing especially charging into a stacked box? The other is he's still having difficulty with nailing down the intermediate pass...he's sailing it out there. I have the feeling Dana has little confidence in Crest at this point, and Sills seems like he could do well long term at the wideout position....looks like quite the athlete. Was also happy to see the younger Mr.White getting the ball a bit yesterday.
Beat those Longhorns and something could definitely be salvaged of the season (especially in terms of Dana's job security). Enjoy the game next Saturday Euell and cheer em on loudly! I must watch from the couch at home...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT