ADVERTISEMENT

Pens Western swing 12/1-12/9

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
Well, I did my best to try and stay up for last night's game.....with virtually zero success.

I woke up from my first pass-out with the Pens up 1-0 late in the 1st, and then from my second with them up 3-1 later in the 2nd. I finally went to bed and turned on the TV, and at least saw the 4th goal; really a nice quick pass from Kunitz to Perron in the slot on the PP. That was it......

Anyway, that first Kessel goal was (or should have been) an indicator this was going to be the Pens' night; they haven't gotten too many lucky ones like that this season. Geno's goal was an interesting combination of both great speed.....he basically left Paul Martin in his vapor trail on the rush.....and good fortune.....Martin Jones overplayed Geno, while interfering with Martin trying to cover his mistake defensively on the wrap-around. I'm glad they earned a measure of legitimate revenge over both Jones and the Sharks last night.

A few more things:
  • They gave up another PP goal; that aspect of their game has really fallen off recently. Going back to the final game of that western Canada swing in Calgary....a total of 11 games......they've allowed a PPG in 9 of them. That's not good.
  • Pens put a 5-spot on the board last night with all zeros from the Crosby line and Letang. Speaking of Sid, MJ put him back with Kunitz and Duper, and they did nothing (though Kunitz did get 2 assists; one on Geno's goal, and the second in the 3rd after Dupuis left the ice.....supposedly after advising he wasn't feeling well).
  • Speaking of Dupuis, he really hasn't done much of anything since that 1st minute goal in the home game against Montreal 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately....and perhaps not surprisingly.....he now appears to be going down hill physically pretty fast.
  • The way he had to sit out those 2 games in Western Canada along with last night's 3rd period.....and you have to figure there'll be similar occurrences as the season progresses.....now gives every indication this probably is PD's last season. I just hope he doesn't have to shut it down earlier than that). Too bad his contract has another year to run.
  • From what little I saw of the actual telecast, I was surprised as how positive the broadcasters were about David Warsofsky.

Well, I did my best to try and stay up for last night's game.....with virtually zero success.

I woke up from my first pass-out with the Pens up 1-0 late in the 1st, and then from my second with them up 3-1 later in the 2nd. I finally went to bed and turned on the TV, and at least saw the 4th goal; really a nice quick pass from Kunitz to Perron in the slot on the PP. That was it......

Anyway, that first Kessel goal was (or should have been) an indicator this was going to be the Pens' night; they haven't gotten too many lucky ones like that this season. Geno's goal was an interesting combination of both great speed.....he basically left Paul Martin in his vapor trail on the rush.....and good fortune.....Martin Jones overplayed Geno, while interfering with Martin trying to cover his mistake defensively on the wrap-around. I'm glad they earned a measure of legitimate revenge over both Jones and the Sharks last night.

A few more things:
  • They gave up another PP goal; that aspect of their game has really fallen off recently. Going back to the final game of that western Canada swing in Calgary....a total of 11 games......they've allowed a PPG in 9 of them. That's not good.
  • Pens put a 5-spot on the board last night with all zeros from the Crosby line and Letang. Speaking of Sid, MJ put him back with Kunitz and Duper, and they did nothing (though Kunitz did get 2 assists; one on Geno's goal, and the second in the 3rd after Dupuis left the ice.....supposedly after advising he wasn't feeling well).
  • Speaking of Dupuis, he really hasn't done much of anything since that 1st minute goal in the home game against Montreal 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately....and perhaps not surprisingly.....he now appears to be going down hill physically pretty fast.
  • The way he had to sit out those 2 games in Western Canada along with last night's 3rd period.....and you have to figure there'll be similar occurrences as the season progresses.....now gives every indication this probably is PD's last season. I just hope he doesn't have to shut it down earlier than that). Too bad his contract has another year to run.
  • From what little I saw of the actual telecast, I was surprised as how positive the broadcasters were about David Warsofsky.
I missed the game as well CM...but from what I heard and as you mention Warsofsky did not look out of place out there with Cole which is a good start...

I'm hoping they can keep up the good work come Saturday afternoon, as I'll be there :smiley:(as you know) to see them stymie the Kings and pot more than a few goals lol!

On a side note you were mentioning the Hamonic rumors and I sense they are heating up even more now with the Jets recent slide...I believe Big Buf is out with injury and it's REALLY becomr apparent how badly they need him to 'play big' cause they're certainly not playing that way of late...I think they'd be wise to get it done now to quell the rumor mill and inject some change in the locker room, BUT if Trouba is a part of the negotiations going the other way I think they're nuts! Although I believe Chevy is going to have a number of players to make $ decisions on over the next year and if you're the Jets I'd imagine there's only so much dough to spread around! Buf is due next year or F/A and I can't see them paying any less than 6 mil at bare minimum over what? Maybe 5 years? The fact he's fairly local as a Minnesota boy may be on their side, then they've got Ladd (whom I think may actually be the piece of the puzzle they reluctantly part with), Trouba and a few more...also...they were banking huge that Lowry would double his output from last year (10 g) and he has not even scored yet!!!

Regardless I am fully in the Peg's corner tonight...they play the Leafs...go get em!

Also terrible about Duper...it certainly looks as though the writing is on the wall there doesn't it...heart and soul type player when he's healthy and has always been one of my fave players over the years...it's no surprise I also liked Max when he was a Pen in his prime...as soon as Talbot left I thought 'now WHO'S take up the slack after him???'...and then thank goodness there was Pascal! I hope his long term health takes a turn for the better, whether he continues or not....

I missed the game as well CM...but from what I heard and as you mention Warsofsky did not look out of place out there with Cole which is a good start...

I'm hoping they can keep up the good work come Saturday afternoon, as I'll be there :smiley:(as you know) to see them stymie the Kings and pot more than a few goals lol!

On a side note you were mentioning the Hamonic rumors and I sense they are heating up even more now with the Jets recent slide...I believe Big Buf is out with injury and it's REALLY becomr apparent how badly they need him to 'play big' cause they're certainly not playing that way of late...I think they'd be wise to get it done now to quell the rumor mill and inject some change in the locker room, BUT if Trouba is a part of the negotiations going the other way I think they're nuts! Although I believe Chevy is going to have a number of players to make $ decisions on over the next year and if you're the Jets I'd imagine there's only so much dough to spread around! Buf is due next year or F/A and I can't see them paying any less than 6 mil at bare minimum over what? Maybe 5 years? The fact he's fairly local as a Minnesota boy may be on their side, then they've got Ladd (whom I think may actually be the piece of the puzzle they reluctantly part with), Trouba and a few more...also...they were banking huge that Lowry would double his output from last year (10 g) and he has not even scored yet!!!

Regardless I am fully in the Peg's corner tonight...they play the Leafs...go get em!

Also terrible about Duper...it certainly looks as though the writing is on the wall there doesn't it...heart and soul type player when he's healthy and has always been one of my fave players over the years...it's no surprise I also liked Max when he was a Pen in his prime...as soon as Talbot left I thought 'now WHO'S take up the slack after him???'...and then thank goodness there was Pascal! I hope his long term health takes a turn for the better, whether he continues or not....

You know, I've been thinking about your recent comment about seeing the Pens versus the Kings......but could have sworn you said on 12/5 (and not the coincidental return game in Pittsburgh 6 days later). So, its true; you are headed for the Left Coast and some sun and surf !!! Hope it turns out to be a good game and worth your trip (though SoCal in December sounds good no matter who or how they play). BTW, do you have some kind of business out there.....or are you and your buddies just getting away from the wives for a long weekend in the sun ???

You know, the Pens have typically been pretty competitive against the Kings (and even more so the Ducks) in recent years. In fact, I've always found it interesting they're very competitive against the big Western teams like those two along with San Jose, St Louis, and Winnipeg.....while being almost equally non-competitive versus the big Eastern teams like the Bruins, Blue Jackets, Craps, Flyers, and Islanders.

I finally realized the reason is that the Eastern teams play the Pens with abject disrespect. They take the body from first puck drop until the final horn, take every cheap shot they can get away with.....which is plenty, because they always take the first shot (while the Pens retaliate and get called).....and figure things will eventually go their way when the Pens finally self-disintegrate. Said another way, they play the Pens like they absolutely can't stand them and just want to kick the living shit out of them.

For some reason, and with the possible exception of Winnipeg, the Western teams never do that to the Pens. All those teams are in a position to play the Pens exactly the same way as their Eastern rivals, and the Pens (over the past few seasons) have an excellent record versus the entire West. In fact, it's probably among the best of any single team in the East.

I haven't been listening to NHLN Radio the past couple weeks, so I'm honestly not up to speed with the goings-on in Winnipeg (or with the NYI, for that matter). I don't know how much pressure Chevy is (or will be) under to make a move; but I still don't think I'd trade Trouba. If I were Chevy, I'd still see if I could make something happen with Tyler Myers.....though I've heard nothing to indicate the NYI would be interested in him..... though, the salaries make a package deal mandatory.

Eklund threw out one his "juicy" rumors last week which you may not have seen; Hamonic, Okposo (a FA), a major D prospect, and a #1 to Columbus for Ryan Johansen and a #2.....after which Columbus would flip Hamonic to Calgary. I can't remember the last 3-way in the NHL; and of course, Eklund was the one who was trying to sell an Eric Staal to Pittsburgh deal a month ago.

You know, I've been thinking about your recent comment about seeing the Pens versus the Kings......but could have sworn you said on 12/5 (and not the coincidental return game in Pittsburgh 6 days later). So, its true; you are headed for the Left Coast and some sun and surf !!! Hope it turns out to be a good game and worth your trip (though SoCal in December sounds good no matter who or how they play). BTW, do you have some kind of business out there.....or are you and your buddies just getting away from the wives for a long weekend in the sun ???

You know, the Pens have typically been pretty competitive against the Kings (and even more so the Ducks) in recent years. In fact, I've always found it interesting they're very competitive against the big Western teams like those two along with San Jose, St Louis, and Winnipeg.....while being almost equally non-competitive versus the big Eastern teams like the Bruins, Blue Jackets, Craps, Flyers, and Islanders.

I finally realized the reason is that the Eastern teams play the Pens with abject disrespect. They take the body from first puck drop until the final horn, take every cheap shot they can get away with.....which is plenty, because they always take the first shot (while the Pens retaliate and get called).....and figure things will eventually go their way when the Pens finally self-disintegrate. Said another way, they play the Pens like they absolutely can't stand them and just want to kick the living shit out of them.

For some reason, and with the possible exception of Winnipeg, the Western teams never do that to the Pens. All those teams are in a position to play the Pens exactly the same way as their Eastern rivals, and the Pens (over the past few seasons) have an excellent record versus the entire West. In fact, it's probably among the best of any single team in the East.

I haven't been listening to NHLN Radio the past couple weeks, so I'm honestly not up to speed with the goings-on in Winnipeg (or with the NYI, for that matter). I don't know how much pressure Chevy is (or will be) under to make a move; but I still don't think I'd trade Trouba. If I were Chevy, I'd still see if I could make something happen with Tyler Myers.....though I've heard nothing to indicate the NYI would be interested in him..... though, the salaries make a package deal mandatory.

Eklund threw out one his "juicy" rumors last week which you may not have seen; Hamonic, Okposo (a FA), a major D prospect, and a #1 to Columbus for Ryan Johansen and a #2.....after which Columbus would flip Hamonic to Calgary. I can't remember the last 3-way in the NHL; and of course, Eklund was the one who was trying to sell an Eric Staal to Pittsburgh deal a month ago.
This one is actually with the wife...it's our 10th anniversary. I made a promise to her she'd never stay at home on that day and so far have been successful lol...we've spent this time in some pretty wonderful places, and I'm sure this will be no exception.
Staying in LA for 3 nights then working our way up the Cali coast to Carmel, SFO, and Mendocino, hoping to avoid the rain while doing so! We're 6 rows up behind Kings net in the 1st/3rd periods and hoping to get a sunburn from the red light....if you're tuned in Sat afternoon have a look for us!

The east/west dynamic is a strange one for sure and I agree re: the Eastern teams seemingly knowing just how to play the Pens, bang and crash them into frustration. ...

Makes me wonder just how Eklund comes up with this stuff? Most of it seems completely off the wall it seems....

Congrats on #10 with your missus......it got me to wondering what's the "gift" for #10. Lo and behold, the traditional one is aluminum; guess that means a nice roll of foil.....may I respectfully suggest you spring for the extra long, heavy duty, name-brand stuff.....will do the trick while you're having drinks staring at the Pacific.

My 25th is coming up in the fall of 2017, and I'd like to take my wife someplace nice as you're doing now; actually, your trip would do us quite nicely. Unfortunately, we'll have school loans out the wazoo to pay off, and the fact I haven't been working makes things that much worse. Of course, my wife firmly believes that nothing.....even added debt......comes in the way of a vacation.

If your travels happen to pass you through (or near) Laguna Beach, allow me to recommend a very cool old (but famous) restaurant overlooking the ocean called Las Brisas. It's not cheap; frankly, it's probably more ideally visited for a business dinner (and someone else was paying for it, which was my own situation). But I honestly can't imagine too many spots which will offer you a more favorable (or memorable) experience as to why Laguna Beach is, well, what it is.

http://www.lasbrisaslagunabeach.com/

Since you're headed from LA to the Bay Area....and if you happen to have some unplanned time (which I seriously doubt is the case).......consider a stop at the Hearst Castle at San Simeon. This is the estate of the famous publishing magnate, William Randolph Hearst, which has been turned into a destination spot. I have not been there, but heard enough about it from others to think of it a mandatory stop on any car trip I'd make at some point between those two areas.

http://hearstcastle.org/

It's admittedly out in the middle of nowhere.....precisely the way Hearst wanted it.......roughly halfway between LA and SF; and you absolutely need to make a special trip there (especially if you were figuring to take I-5 heading north and south). It's an easier stop if you were going to be driving up the coast on the PCH. Regardless, everything I've heard tells me the place is beyond spectacular.

Congrats on #10 with your missus......it got me to wondering what's the "gift" for #10. Lo and behold, the traditional one is aluminum; guess that means a nice roll of foil.....may I respectfully suggest you spring for the extra long, heavy duty, name-brand stuff.....will do the trick while you're having drinks staring at the Pacific.

My 25th is coming up in the fall of 2017, and I'd like to take my wife someplace nice as you're doing now; actually, your trip would do us quite nicely. Unfortunately, we'll have school loans out the wazoo to pay off, and the fact I haven't been working makes things that much worse. Of course, my wife firmly believes that nothing.....even added debt......comes in the way of a vacation.

If your travels happen to pass you through (or near) Laguna Beach, allow me to recommend a very cool old (but famous) restaurant overlooking the ocean called Las Brisas. It's not cheap; frankly, it's probably more ideally visited for a business dinner (and someone else was paying for it, which was my own situation). But I honestly can't imagine too many spots which will offer you a more favorable (or memorable) experience as to why Laguna Beach is, well, what it is.

http://www.lasbrisaslagunabeach.com/

Since you're headed from LA to the Bay Area....and if you happen to have some unplanned time (which I seriously doubt is the case).......consider a stop at the Hearst Castle at San Simeon. This is the estate of the famous publishing magnate, William Randolph Hearst, which has been turned into a destination spot. I have not been there, but heard enough about it from others to think of it a mandatory stop on any car trip I'd make at some point between those two areas.

http://hearstcastle.org/

It's admittedly out in the middle of nowhere.....precisely the way Hearst wanted it.......roughly halfway between LA and SF; and you absolutely need to make a special trip there (especially if you were figuring to take I-5 heading north and south). It's an easier stop if you were going to be driving up the coast on the PCH. Regardless, everything I've heard tells me the place is beyond spectacular.
Cool Man,

My wife and I will also celebrate our 25th in the fall of 2017, October 10 to be precise.
Glad the Pens could finally win in SJ. I only saw the 1st period.

Reactions: COOL MAN
This one is actually with the wife...it's our 10th anniversary. I made a promise to her she'd never stay at home on that day and so far have been successful lol...we've spent this time in some pretty wonderful places, and I'm sure this will be no exception.
Staying in LA for 3 nights then working our way up the Cali coast to Carmel, SFO, and Mendocino, hoping to avoid the rain while doing so! We're 6 rows up behind Kings net in the 1st/3rd periods and hoping to get a sunburn from the red light....if you're tuned in Sat afternoon have a look for us!

The east/west dynamic is a strange one for sure and I agree re: the Eastern teams seemingly knowing just how to play the Pens, bang and crash them into frustration. ...

Makes me wonder just how Eklund comes up with this stuff? Most of it seems completely off the wall it seems....
I will try to look for you Saturday. I hope you guys have a great trip and Let's Go Pens!

Cool Man,

My wife and I will also celebrate our 25th in the fall of 2017, October 10 to be precise.
Glad the Pens could finally win in SJ. I only saw the 1st period.

You guys had a week in before we walked to the alter on 10/17/92.....otherwise more commonly remembered around here as Marvin Graves Day.

I will try to look for you Saturday. I hope you guys have a great trip and Let's Go Pens!

Hey t, if you want us to look for you, be sure to wear a WVU lid that day.....pretty decent chance you'll be the only one to do so at Staples.

ey t, if you want us to look for you, be sure to wear a WVU lid that day.....pretty decent chance you'll be the only one to do so at Staples.
You bet I will be! I've got a black and gold one (Dana's favorite much to some folks chagrin lol), to match my #66 T...I was going to wear my red Canada Crosby jersey but then I'd really stick out like a sore thumb! And besides it's supposed to be 75 degrees on Sat so think I'd boil on the way to the game (man that temp will feel good). The lovely wife will be wearing the new Pens jersey/dress that a company makes up here...I presented it to her yesterday and she absolutely loves it , which is exactly the reaction I was hoping for. It's actually done in the newer 'Vegas' style gold which some tend to disdain quite a bit, however I like just as much as the more yellow gold...
Thanks much for the valuable advice CM in regards to both Hearst and Laguna! I am going to do my level best to get to both...and we are taking the PCH all the way up , leaving REAL early on Monday to try and avoid LA traffic best we can ,staying in Carmel that eve....

Something tells me we may encounter a city a bit on edge, or at least somewhat vigilant over the weekend after the most recent unfortunate events in San Bernadino...I am so hopeful something.... ANYTHING is done to combat these so destructive shootings soon! But I suppose that is a discussion for another day, or perhaps even years could be spent discussing it ...my condolences to you, Euell, and all Americans in dealing with this tragedy...

Euell-
will try to look for you Saturday. I hope you guys have a great trip and Let's Go Pens!

Thanks Euell and I am hoping you had an amazing break....hoping to do same!!!:smiley:

YES....LET'S GO PENS!!!

And maybe just maybe I can find a tv in LA featuring FoxSports1, to see our 8th victory over K St! LET'S GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!![WVU]

You bet I will be! I've got a black and gold one (Dana's favorite much to some folks chagrin lol), to match my #66 T...I was going to wear my red Canada Crosby jersey but then I'd really stick out like a sore thumb! And besides it's supposed to be 75 degrees on Sat so think I'd boil on the way to the game (man that temp will feel good). The lovely wife will be wearing the new Pens jersey/dress that a company makes up here...I presented it to her yesterday and she absolutely loves it , which is exactly the reaction I was hoping for.

BTW, I finally saw your comment in the other thread about your wearing the WV lid and Canada Sid.......I must admit I was a little more focused on the photo than what you wrote [banana]

I totally missed last night's game......pretty unusual for me......but good to see the Pens come back in the 3rd period (maybe the second time this year after that long streak of losing every time they were behind). I'd probably feel better if they did it against Varlamov than Yogi Berra, but it still counts.

Onto other things, I regret that I was a few days ahead of reality (in my initial post in this thread) as to how fast Dupuis was going downhill. Guess my only reaction now is that I'm glad he decided.....presumably with help from the doctors (and his wife)......to shut it down officially before he has any more major problems. But best wishes nevertheless to one of the highest quality (and most passionate) guys ever to wear the Black and Vegas Gold.

Obviously, the team has been very careful not to use the words RETIRE and PASCAL DUPUIS in the same sentence his week; obviously, it's critical they avoid any such references for the time being. Accordingly, I think PD was almost-immediately placed on LTIR, thereby freeing up his significant $3.75 million cap hit for other uses.

The only question now for GMJR is what kind of defensive rental (though I understand Bob McKenzie believes they're still looking for a winger for Sid) to target. Typically, I'm against rentals involving significant amounts of cap space, but I think this is a good defensive (and probably limited liability) idea if they can find the right guy. Of course, they don't have much in the system to trade; nor would I myself consider it very smart to move much higher than perhaps a #3 pick.

If they don't have to move a #1 or #2.....nor a key forward (unless someone is interested in an admittedly-improving David Perron as the same kind of return rental).....I'd probably be strongly in favor of trading for a rental D this time. However, I wonder if GMJR might target a non-rental like James Wisniewski from Carolina (even though his cap hit is a high $5.5 million through 2016/17).

But if Ronnie Francis wants to move a high-cap/non-rental guy like JW.....and I suspect he might......then it'll be interesting to see what he's willing to accept in return to make it happen. Could something like this finally puts Chris Kunitz in legitimate play (even though he's currently playing some of the best hockey we've seen from him in the past couple seasons) ?? As for a Sid winger.....or wingers......I see no reason not to roll the dice full time with Beau Bennett and Danny Sprong.

Of course, speaking of Sid, I seriously doubt he'd be in favor of moving his good buddy Kuni under suchg circumstances; especially now that his other best buddy, Duper, is history. Anyway, I guess we might shortly get to see what kind of GM Rutherford really is; does he continue to let the inmates run the asylum, or does he do what needs to be done ??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT