ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- OCT 2021

258759941_10161101693993765_8055884768740228973_n.jpg

do they got a chance to crawl out of this hole?

Still a long way to go.....and they have something like 5 teams currently ahead of them for a playof slot......but I myself think we've seen enough of a turnaround the past few days to think/hope that the 2-6-2 bad streak really might be more the exception then the rule for 21/22.

Let's be honest.....as is the case with most teams.....this team still will only go as far as Jarry will carry them. But they did a great job disrupting the Leafs defenseively last night; with a couple brief exceptions, they held amazingly firm during that 5 on 3 where everyone figured they were going to cut the lead in half, if not tie it up.

If you didn't hear, the Leafs came in having won 10 of their last 11; so I think the win really was pretty significant. Meanwhile, this turnaround.....if that's what it is.....couldn't have come at a better time, with 7 of the next 9 on the road (including games at tomorrow at Winnipeg, then the NYI, then a western swing to Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, and Seattle and ending at Washington).

Reactions: Irwineer2
Still a long way to go.....and they have something like 5 teams currently ahead of them for a playof slot......but I myself think we've seen enough of a turnaround the past few days to think/hope that the 2-6-2 bad streak really might be more the exception then the rule for 21/22.

Let's be honest.....as is the case with most teams.....this team still will only go as far as Jarry will carry them. But they did a great job disrupting the Leafs defenseively last night; with a couple brief exceptions, they held amazingly firm during that 5 on 3 where everyone figured they were going to cut the lead in half, if not tie it up.

If you didn't hear, the Leafs came in having won 10 of their last 11; so I think the win really was pretty significant. Meanwhile, this turnaround.....if that's what it is.....couldn't have come at a better time, with 7 of the next 9 on the road (including games at tomorrow at Winnipeg, then the NYI, then a western swing to Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, and Seattle and ending at Washington).
75% of teams in a playoff spot at thanksgiving get in. pens have a lot of work to do but if there's any team that could do it, its the pens.

Reactions: COOL MAN
75% of teams in a playoff spot at thanksgiving get in. pens have a lot of work to do but if there's any team that cou do it, its the pens.

Well, while I guess it's possible, they probably will not be in a playoff position Thursday (or even by the end of this coming weekend). But the balance in the League these days is absolutely insane; something tells me that traditional "rules" like this one in hockey won't matter as much this season (or in the immediate future).

That means (IMO) we shouldn't be that concerned if we're currently out a week from today.......meanwhile, please don't get back to me if the rule ends up holding firm this season 😉

Another performance tonight, like the previous against the Leafs, will have my giddy. I won’t get the cart too far in front, but how will the projected return of Malkin disrupt chemistry? Granted, we have had minimal this season.

Side note, my son has been moved up 2 leagues and is now officially on the travel mite circuit. He and his team will be playing between 1st intermission of Caps/Panthers. Nothing more proud to hear at the open practice: “Who is the parent of the kid wearing the Guentzel jersey?” in Capitals territory.

Another performance tonight, like the previous against the Leafs, will have my giddy. I won’t get the cart too far in front, but how will the projected return of Malkin disrupt chemistry? Granted, we have had minimal this season.

Side note, my son has been moved up 2 leagues and is now officially on the travel mite circuit. He and his team will be playing between 1st intermission of Caps/Panthers. Nothing more proud to hear at the open practice: “Who is the parent of the kid wearing the Guentzel jersey?” in Capitals territory.
awesome!!!

this will be a tough matchup for the pens tonight. need to play exactly like they have been. use their speed.

Reactions: DocEER
pens are on a roll, need some division games while they are playing like this.

Your wish is their command (at least once): Isles are coming up this weekend.

They're still having mucho problems......even on their new sheet.....so I agree this is when you'd like to see if the Pens make up some ground in the Division (even on someone in last place). The Isles have obviously been stinking up the joint, but why is it I can envision them playing their best game of the new season on Friday night with the Guins in town ??

Meanwhile, I just checked the standings, and the Guins are actually in the playoffs today, tied with the Blojax for a wild card spot (I tend to forget the NHL has wild card teams). Now, the Cryers, Devils, and Broons are each within 2 points of them, and each with at least 2 games in hand. So, it the position really doesn't mean a whole lot, at least outside the fact they weren't even close to the wild card a week ago.......

If they can fnd a way to get through the Canadian swing next week with maybe 5 (or 6) points....and they have a history of playing well in the far West of Canada..... I think that will be great. I'm just worried how they'll do when DeSmith has to play.

so nice to have hockey back on, on the night before thanksgiving. going to this game was a huge part of my life from 95 to 2004. I was even at paul coffey's first game which was also this night in 1987 as a youngin.

anyhoo, pens stayin hot! lets go boys!

happy thanksgiving as well pens fans.

Reactions: COOL MAN and DocEER
so nice to have hockey back on, on the night before thanksgiving. going to this game was a huge part of my life from 95 to 2004. I was even at paul coffey's first game which was also this night in 1987 as a youngin.
Me too.....

We went to the Thanksgiving Eve game about 5 or 6 years in a row back in the 70's; a streak which included the game versus STL in 1972 where the Pens scored 5 goals in 2:07.....which I believe remains the NHL record for the fastest 5 goals scored by a single team.

As fas as I know, that's the only League record (in any sport) I've witnessed in person.

Means nothing to the Pens anymore, but Elliotte Friedman is reporting tonight that Ottawa is preparing to waive Matt Murray.......

League just announced that Isles games thru TUE 11/30 will be postponed due to their current COVID situation......glad they waited until today to make that decision.

League just announced that Isles games thru TUE 11/30 will be postponed due to their current COVID situation......glad they waited until today to make that decision.
had the pens -1.5 +155 last night. felt like they could have scored 6 or 7 goals. dammit.

had the pens -1.5 +155 last night. felt like they could have scored 6 or 7 goals. dammit.
Shit.....win or lose, it's tough to bet against the NYI with Sorokin in the cage. But truth be known, I'd have probably taken that same bet; even though I was on the record as expecting the Isles to play one of their better games of the season.

Meanwhile, nice to see KK with the game winner (on an absolute laser).

Shit.....win or lose, it's tough to bet against the NYI with Sorokin in the cage. But truth be known, I'd have probably taken that same bet; even though I was on the record as expecting the Isles to play one of their better games of the season.

Meanwhile, nice to see KK with the game winner (on an absolute laser).
he had another of those lasers in the 3rd period that hit the glass.

$6.5 million annual cap hit, I believe

I checked again; he's in Year #2 of a 4-year $25 million deal paying as follows...... AAV is $6.25 million

Year 1 - 4 million
Year 2 - 6 million
Year 3 - 7 million
Year 4 - 8 million

In other words, Ottawa paid the smallest number last season, and now it's on the rise for 3 straight years. I can't see too many teams willing to swallow that deal, but I understand that Buffalo is considered a possibility.

Seems to me he'd be a candidate for a buyout......

I checked again; he's in Year #2 of a 4-year $25 million deal paying as follows...... AAV is $6.25 million

Year 1 - 4 million
Year 2 - 6 million
Year 3 - 7 million
Year 4 - 8 million

In other words, Ottawa paid the smallest number last season, and now it's on the rise for 3 straight years. I can't see too many teams willing to swallow that deal, but I understand that Buffalo is considered a possibility.

Seems to me he'd be a candidate for a buyout......

I think MM could be a decent keeper on a decent team that plays defense. Otherwise his mediocre lateral movement and weak glove are exposed for all their flaws

Everyone crucifying DeSmith for the loss. But to be fair, Letang gets beat allowing a breakaway. Nothing he could do on the 2nd goal. Maybe he should have stopped the 3rd. But last night really was the inability to bury shots. They must have had 15:glorious chances and couldn’t score but 3.

Everyone crucifying DeSmith for the loss. But to be fair, Letang gets beat allowing a breakaway. Nothing he could do on the 2nd goal. Maybe he should have stopped the 3rd. But last night really was the inability to bury shots. They must have had 15:glorious chances and couldn’t score but 3.
game crumbled on the backhand cross ice pass by sid that led to first goal. before that they had been staying positionally sound. I think the hot goaltending "broke" them into forcing things.

I think MM could be a decent keeper on a decent team that plays defense. Otherwise his mediocre lateral movement and weak glove are exposed for all their flaws
I don't watch the Sens, but I've wondered from a distance if Murray's glove had improved in the last season+.

His stats/record might say NO, but its obviously no secret the Sens have been one of the worst teams in the League for the past few seasons. Was thinking/hoping perhaps his blah stats weren't fully indicative of his level of play. But taking a $6.25 million cap hit in friggin NOVEMBER would seem to say all the Sens have to say on THAT subject......

It remains amazingly hard to fathom the kid, not to mention winning the 2 rings, was actually a starter for the North American team in the World Cup of Hockey back just a few years ago. Was reading yesterday that some fans continue to trace his decline to the death of his Dad.....and clearly, these kinds of events affect different people in different ways.

But the kid IS an adult, and an extremely well paid professional to boot. Without sounding like an unfeeling prick, I just don't know how much longer he should still be receiving this kind of consideration/sympathy.

DK reporting this morning an Agreement HAS been signed to sell the Pens to FSG for $900 million......and that BOTH Mario and Ron Burkle will remain with the team's ownership group, reporting to FSG owner John Henry.

Well, looks like the holiday has come to an end......especially after that 3rd period in Edmonton (which I stupidly stayed up to watch). They can still salvage the 5 points I was hoping for on this Western trip if they can beat Vancouver and Seattle, which they should be able to do.

But at their current rate, I worry they can score enough to beat anyone.....especially if Jarry doesn't play pretty much perfect.

ADVERTISEMENT