ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- FEB 2020

10 years ago today boys! ...:wink:
ThjusnK.jpg

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/sidney-crosby-golden-goal-1.4002851

Last edited:
Reactions: COOL MAN
PHN reporting that both Dumo and Marino full practiced today, and even Tricky Nicky practiced with his teammates for the first time (though with a no-contact Jersey). Sounds like the news is getting better, and it's clear these guys can't get back in uniform soon enough.

Meanwhile, Nathan Lagare reported put up an HT plus an assist (4 points) one night, then backed it up the next night with a second HT plus 2 assists (5 points).

PHN reporting that both Dumo and Marino full practiced today, and even Tricky Nicky practiced with his teammates for the first time (though with a no-contact Jersey). Sounds like the news is getting better, and it's clear these guys can't get back in uniform soon enough.

Meanwhile, Nathan Lagare reported put up an HT plus an assist (4 points) one night, then backed it up the next night with a second HT plus 2 assists (5 points).
Here's one off topic a bit for ya CM...you oft have some interest in the Junior ranks so...The CHL (The Q, O, W) and NHL agreement expires this year. Word is the NHL owners are going to go hard after the rule that returns 19 year olds to their Junior teams if they don't crack the lineup more than 10 games. They want to reduce it to 18, thus they can slot their drafts into their farm clubs...I assume for more control. IMO this will stab a dagger into Junior hockey. Many teams are already struggling to compete with the perennial big guns in these leagues...similar to NCAA football fans only get a short window to follow these athletes, reduce it to potentially 2 years of following a player? That's almost like the one and done with NCAA basketball but I would say based on roster size, on a grander scale.... hope the CHL sticks to their guns on this one. Junior teams are greatly associated with community unlike AHL teams which we are seeing many more NHL teams locate their farm in the same city as the parent club for ease of access and to keep a closer eye...I don't think it's overly dramatic to suggest that changing this rule will kill the ties these communities have to hockey drastically. What team (or fans for that matter) wants to invest in a player that's gonna be there for a year or 2? In fact I would suggest they increase the draft age to 19, go in the other direction. Since outside of the top 15 or 20 players scouting them and drafting at 18 is an extremely inexact science with hockey....would think this would be a more effective way of knowing what you are getting for the future of your franchise than dumping them on the freakin farm...anyway, chew on that and let me know what ya think....

This pens team Is terrible. Losses to shitty Buffalo, LA, Anaheim (in 20 mins) in a short span. And I absolutely can’t stand Malkin anymore. Sure that was a pathetic call in the hook, but he has shown time and time again, that he no longer has any emotional intelligence

Reactions: torontoeers
We watched this tonight (had to do something worthwhile) ....66 was called numerous times.....it was imo the catalyst for him to announce....I AM THE BEST. With help from 99 :wink:

Waking up in 3rd place this morning and only 2 points out of 4th. Lucky the NYI and CBJ aren't playing well either, or they'd be in 5th.

Plenty of blame to go around on this team, from the goal line to the center ice red line. Not sure what it's going to take to snap them out of these doldrums; maybe Marleau getting back on home ice tonight :(

Here's one off topic a bit for ya CM...you oft have some interest in the Junior ranks so...The CHL (The Q, O, W) and NHL agreement expires this year. Word is the NHL owners are going to go hard after the rule that returns 19 year olds to their Junior teams if they don't crack the lineup more than 10 games. They want to reduce it to 18, thus they can slot their drafts into their farm clubs...I assume for more control. IMO this will stab a dagger into Junior hockey. Many teams are already struggling to compete with the perennial big guns in these leagues...similar to NCAA football fans only get a short window to follow these athletes, reduce it to potentially 2 years of following a player? That's almost like the one and done with NCAA basketball but I would say based on roster size, on a grander scale.... hope the CHL sticks to their guns on this one. Junior teams are greatly associated with community unlike AHL teams which we are seeing many more NHL teams locate their farm in the same city as the parent club for ease of access and to keep a closer eye...I don't think it's overly dramatic to suggest that changing this rule will kill the ties these communities have to hockey drastically. What team (or fans for that matter) wants to invest in a player that's gonna be there for a year or 2? In fact I would suggest they increase the draft age to 19, go in the other direction. Since outside of the top 15 or 20 players scouting them and drafting at 18 is an extremely inexact science with hockey....would think this would be a more effective way of knowing what you are getting for the future of your franchise than dumping them on the freakin farm...anyway, chew on that and let me know what ya think....

Speaking in general terms......as an NHL fan south of the border (and with no personal allegiance to the CHL).....I find myself preferring NHL teams to have control over their draftees beginning on Draft day, period.

That said, I certainly understand and appreciate the role the major Juniors play in player development. Further, I recognize the CHL's presumed interest in maintaining the status quo, especially as it applies to the communities. Dumping 19 (or 18) year old "non-qualifiers" into the AHL (or lower).....and often playing against players a decade or more older......would certainly seem to run counter to the fundamental (I think) CHL objective of player development.

Meanwhile, I don't really understand how dropping the return age to 18 would be so much more damaging to the CHL than at 19 years of age. You said it yourself, the number of legit prospects at that age is so comparatively small; then again, I recognize it's those prospects who generate the League's real publicity. Maybe you can clarify for me.......

Guess I need to think about this a little more......as someone who admittedly knows little about the true grass-roots relationship of the CHL to the NHL, I'm in no position to be making informed personal assessments about what's best for the kids themselves, or the CHL.

Waking up in 3rd place this morning and only 2 points out of 4th. Lucky the NYI and CBJ aren't playing well either, or they'd be in 5th.

Plenty of blame to go around on this team, from the goal line to the center ice red line. Not sure what it's going to take to snap them out of these doldrums; maybe Marleau getting back on home ice tonight :(
I am hearing several say, well it's the trade deadline new faces and they have to gel....BULLSHIT. This shitstorm started well before the deadline day acquisitions...as I mentioned earlier, 5 points minimum, and excuses don't matter....right now lucky to get 2...unacceptable. You said it re: Isles and Blojax....I'm well aware that things can change and slides happened in both of the recent Cup years, this one in my eyes is different. Playing the absolute dregs of the league and not even close to an OT or the like? Pathetic. Not bullish on this current edition whatsoever. In fact going into tonight expecting to lose, and I'd argue I'm usually a pretty optimistic person on the whole....

Speaking in general terms......as an NHL fan south of the border (and with no personal allegiance to the CHL).....I find myself preferring NHL teams to have control over their draftees beginning on Draft day, period.

That said, I certainly understand and appreciate the role the major Juniors play in player development. Further, I recognize the CHL's presumed interest in maintaining the status quo, especially as it applies to the communities. Dumping 19 (or 18) year old "non-qualifiers" into the AHL (or lower).....and often playing against players a decade or more older......would certainly seem to run counter to the fundamental (I think) CHL objective of player development.

Meanwhile, I don't really understand how dropping the return age to 18 would be so much more damaging to the CHL than at 19 years of age. You said it yourself, the number of legit prospects at that age is so comparatively small; then again, I recognize it's those prospects who generate the League's real publicity. Maybe you can clarify for me.......

Guess I need to think about this a little more......as someone who admittedly knows little about the true grass-roots relationship of the CHL to the NHL, I'm in no position to be making informed personal assessments about what's best for the kids themselves, or the CHL.
I guess we could also think back to the days when the parent clubs had EXCLUSIVE agreements with CHL affiliates. The Bruins with the Gens, Habs with the Petes, Rangers with Kitchener...maybe this is them now attempting to get back there someway with the control aspect...not sure...good points previous. Chewing on them myself....

good lord are we having a shitty couple weeks.
It's something else....next problem will be they are in Cali and all come home with Coronavirus....joking obviously but this is a terrible slide imo, simply because these teams they are losing to are awful...the worst in the F'n league! Don't fret though, we've got Ottawa and Buffalo coming next on the docket! Maybe we can lose to them as well!?!

This tonight imo is the worst of the last few....why? I can't believe I am saying this about a Pens team but...they are playing on the wrong side of the puck! It is a 3 ft space and they are turned (if they see it) and burned all night long. Never seen anything like it for years....dumbfounded as to why or if Sully has even pointed it out....surely he has....gsus....

Jeez.....Jarry strikes again
I am not sure what to do next...but this back and forth between the two is not working of late. Neither is in a groove and both are at the whims of their mates it seems....he has to pick one now and run for a stretch no matter how much they are hung out to dry.. and that has happened to both of late a lot....Can't go the rest of this one, tired and sick and tired of watching this bullshit from our guys collective.......although you are right, even though our guys cannot find a way to get a damned goal, the 3rd one was especially a softie...maybe the goalies have thrown in the towel now too

Last edited:
5- donut to the freakin Sharks....I can't believe with the last half dozen games being completely pissed away these guys are still within 4 of the Craps....

Your point about only being 4 behind the Craps is fair; but check out the rest of the Metro in their last 10:

Craps 3-6-1 (lost their last game)
Cryers 8-2-0 (won 5 straight)
Guins 3-6-1 (lost 6 straight)
Isles 3-5-2 (lost 3 straight)
Blojax 1-4-5 (lost 2 straight)
Jerks 4-4-2 (lost 3 straight)
NYR 8-2-0 (lost their last game)
NJD 5-3-2 (lost 2 straight)

So only 2 of 7 are playing well.....well, they're both admittedly playing great.....but the Rangers are still in 7th place (though only 2 out of the wild card). Metro teams also currently own the top 4 wild card spots, which are currently separated by only 4 points.

In other words, Guins could be FAR worse off than they are currently; of course, it would help if they found a way to turn things around (as the others will likely do shortly).

Your point about only being 4 behind the Craps is fair; but check out the rest of the Metro in their last 10:

Craps 3-6-1 (lost their last game)
Cryers 8-2-0 (won 5 straight)
Guins 3-6-1 (lost 6 straight)
Isles 3-5-2 (lost 3 straight)
Blojax 1-4-5 (lost 2 straight)
Jerks 4-4-2 (lost 3 straight)
NYR 8-2-0 (lost their last game)
NJD 5-3-2 (lost 2 straight)

So only 2 of 7 are playing well.....well, they're both admittedly playing great.....but the Rangers are still in 7th place (though only 2 out of the wild card). Metro teams also currently own the top 4 wild card spots, which are currently separated by only 4 points.

In other words, Guins could be FAR worse off than they are currently; of course, it would help if they found a way to turn things around (as the others will likely do shortly).
And as per my previous rant a few days back about point structure....scrolling through the Blojax results...hanging on for dear life. FIVE OT or shootout loses to a bunch of hot garbage teams. If that combined with the Rangers 8 in 10 record doesn't tell a story? Wow...you'd think the Bruins would be salivating at the prospect of facing off vs the Blojax down the road, but then again they have lost to em twice.... one thing is for certain as per your listed results. The Pens are damned fortunate to have pretty much the entire Metro sucking badly.... good time for a slump of this magnitude I guess....

And as per my previous rant a few days back about point structure....scrolling through the Blojax results...hanging on for dear life. FIVE OT or shootout loses to a bunch of hot garbage teams. If that combined with the Rangers 8 in 10 record doesn't tell a story? Wow...you'd think the Bruins would be salivating at the prospect of facing off vs the Blojax down the road, but then again they have lost to em twice.... one thing is for certain as per your listed results. The Pens are damned fortunate to have pretty much the entire Metro sucking badly.... good time for a slump of this magnitude I guess....

With the Pens and Cryers trading places, I think it's tough to figure how the standings will look 30 days from now. Pens are one of WORST teams in the League today, while the Cryers are one of the BEST. If that's not proof how friggin wacky this League is, I don't know what is.

But with everyone playing within the Division this entire month......including 4 between the Guins and Jerks.....things will obviously work themselves out.

ADVERTISEMENT